Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a National Geographic video from another EMP thread. I have decided to do some hardening on my 97 Jeep Wranger.

Regardless of what measures I take, there are no guarantees. I am simply reducing(not eliminating) EMP damage risk.

Here is my "logic" for relatively cheap "limited" hardening.

1. Foil Wrap the computer and other solid state electronics.

2. Put Ferrite beads around all wires going into and out of the computer and other Solid State Devices.

3. Determine where (MOV), Metal Oxide Varistors may be of useful.

All input and comments are welcome....................

This will be an ongoing project, I will post pics as I install these components.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Sounds reasonable. When I read the thread title I prejudged, as it would be quite a feat for the average Joe/Jane to EMP-proof their vehicle, but the reductionist idea is prudent.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you post some pictures of your process!
Yep, I will take pics before I actually start. That way people can give input regarding the path forward.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
Yep, pics please. Are you purchasing spare (replacement) electronic parts and storing in a Faraday cage or just trying to harden existing parts in place only?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
It is my understanding that no amount of covering will protect the computer as the pulse will travel up the wiring harness "into" the computer frying the chips. If I were you I would stock spare computer and sensors in faraday box.

Here is the problem with cars. They are on 4 rubber tires and not grounded to a ground stake. It is possible to harden the entire engine compartment and shield the entire wiring harness. how ever this is very time consuming and expensive. Military vehicles are hardened in this way.

I went with an older Jeep CJ-5 with all manual distributor coil and the little ignition box. I keep a spare box in my faraday cage. My 1947 tractor needs nothing as its a magneto and manual advance distributor.

The faraday cage works like metal net/shield that covers the items inside. by being grounded(ground stake) transfers the pulse into the dirt protecting the components inside the shield. KF

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the problem with cars. They are on 4 rubber tires and not grounded to a ground stake. It is possible to harden the entire engine compartment and shield the entire wiring harness. how ever this is very time consuming and expensive. Military vehicles are hardened in this way.

The faraday cage works like metal net/shield that covers the items inside. by being grounded(ground stake) transfers the pulse into the dirt protecting the components inside the shield. KF
Faraday principle requires no grounding. Ground is only useful at the point when the cage "fails"

If a cage needed to be grounded, it would be impossible to EMP harden aircraft.

Wiring harness's will be ferrite bead protected. Ferrite beads "choke" high frequencies.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with an older Jeep CJ-5 with all manual distributor coil and the little ignition box. I keep a spare box in my faraday cage. My 1947 tractor needs nothing as its a magneto and manual advance distributor.
Smart Man :thumb:

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts

I too plan on getting an older jeep (pre 1970's) and thought the best way would be just to have replacements in a FC. One quick question as I am no electronics guy, are transistors effected by EMP? I know about the PC boards and the silicone chips, but I never understood about transistors. If they are, the simplest solution to me would be a jeep from the early 50's, i would think

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is my understanding that no amount of covering will protect the computer as the pulse will travel up the wiring harness "into" the computer frying the chips. If I were you I would stock spare computer and sensors in faraday box.
There are millions of variables here, I'm simply putting a few odds in my favor. My Ferrite beads and MOV's will be an attempt to protect the wiring harness. I will cover parts of the harness with foil as well.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you purchasing spare (replacement) electronic parts and storing in a Faraday cage.
This would certainly be the ideal situation. Auto Computers are expensive. Ill start with some fundamental hardening first.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too plan on getting an older jeep (pre 1970's) and thought the best way would be just to have replacements in a FC. One quick question as I am no electronics guy, are transistors effected by EMP?

Yes Transistors are affected by EMP. They are also a semiconductor device.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Faraday principle requires no grounding. Ground is only useful at the point when the cage "fails"

If a cage needed to be grounded, it would be impossible to EMP harden aircraft.

Wiring harness's will be ferrite bead protected. Ferrite beads "choke" high frequencies.
ferrite bead protected is the same principle as wrapping the entire wiring harness. Remember any exposed wire will gather the pulse. Your own statement said it is not 100% guaranteed to work. The Military spend millions of dollars to harden planes and vehicles. I fully expect regular planes to fall out of the skys and most cars to just coast to a halt. I talked in depth with Generac about the hardening of the Generac Generators. The entire outer housing on a Generac Guardian Generator is a faraday cage . It must be grounded to work from their own testing. This grounding assures the pulse is directed into the dirt prodided it is not running when the pulse hits. If it is running the pulse will travel down the wires into the unit. It must be disconnected at the Breaker inside the machine as mine is now.

I have been studying EMPS for about 4 years. You can wrap a cell phone for instance with enough foil or copper to shield it without grounding. This is true. OR you can place many items inside a copper mesh cage that is grounded and not wrap them at all. I chose this method as it was easy to build. Your method might work but if there even one inch of line where the pulse can hit and move it will fry your computer. I am not even trying to store parts for our 2000 truck,2004 car or any of my new boat engines. To many small computers ships in sensors,transmission etc. If it were me I would replace the driveline with the older 258 and non electronic transfer case and transmission. Or even better go with a Chevrolet conversion and put an older smallblock chevy with carb and points/manual distributer etc.

I have a 304 with carb and the ford hei distributer. I could still cook the little ignition box so I have a couple of spares. I have no doubt you can harden the computer its the lines I would be concerned about. KF

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ferrite bead protected is the same principle as wrapping the entire wiring harness. Remember any exposed wire will gather the pulse. Your own statement said it is not 100% guaranteed to work. The Military spend millions of dollars to harden planes and vehicles. I fully expect regular planes to fall out of the skys and most cars to just coast to a halt. I talked in depth with Generac about the hardening of the Generac Generators. The entire outer housing on a Generac Guardian Generator is a faraday cage . It must be grounded to work from their own testing. This grounding assures the pulse is directed into the dirt prodided it is not running when the pulse hits. If it is running the pulse will travel down the wires into the unit. It must be disconnected at the Breaker inside the machine as mine is now.

I have been studying EMPS for about 4 years. You can wrap a cell phone for instance with enough foil or copper to shield it without grounding. This is true. OR you can place many items inside a copper mesh cage that is grounded and not wrap them at all. I chose this method as it was easy to build. Your method might work but if there even one inch of line where the pulse can hit and move it will fry your computer. I am not even trying to store parts for our 2000 truck,2004 car or any of my new boat engines. To many small computers ships in sensors,transmission etc. If it were me I would replace the driveline with the older 258 and non electronic transfer case and transmission. Or even better go with a Chevrolet conversion and put an older smallblock chevy with carb and points/manual distributer etc.

I have a 304 with carb and the ford hei distributer. I could still cook the little ignition box so I have a couple of spares. I have no doubt you can harden the computer its the lines I would be concerned about. KF
Agreed..........

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it were me I would replace the driveline with the older 258 and non electronic transfer case and transmission.
I need to check my automatic tranny on the Jeep, but the transfer case is non-electronic, except for the 4WD Indicator light indicator.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ferrite bead protected is the same principle as wrapping the entire wiring harness.
Except the ferrite bead can be "tuned" for a specific frequency.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
I think going with a classic approach would be the most cost effective and successful approach.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I talked in depth with Generac about the hardening of the Generac Generators. The entire outer housing on a Generac Guardian Generator is a faraday cage . It must be grounded to work from their own testing. This grounding assures the pulse is directed into the dirt prodided it is not running when the pulse hits. If it is running the pulse will travel down the wires into the unit. It must be disconnected at the Breaker inside the machine as mine is now.

Protecting my Generator is also on my list.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts