Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear about allot of plans on this site to create homemade protection...if these things work, they seem like a perfect purchase at a low cost...might invest in a couple.

·
Perception is NOT reality
694 Posts
Look like anti static bags that pc components come in.
I ordered a few of them, just to see what they are. They are a lot thicker than anti static bags and have an electrically conductive material on both sides of the plastic. You can see through most anti static bags. These are completely opaque.

I can't say for sure that they will work but certainly would better than any standard PC anti static bag I've seen.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,615 Posts
Maybe they'd work; I don't know if they've actually been tested in an EMP simulator.

But I look at the price, and I wonder what they'd do that would be better than wrapping something in heavy aluminum foil (with insulation layer between item and foil), which would cut the cost tremendously.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Quick reliable test.

Set up a 50,000 volt power supply.
Connect it to a metallic object.
Stick your hand in your EMP protection and reach over and touch the metallic object.

Did the EMP protection work?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quick reliable test.

Stick your hand in your EMP protection and reach over and touch the metallic object.

A static shock from walking across the carpet in the winter can easily be 50KV

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quick reliable test.

That is NOT a reliable EMP protection test, nor is it even close to safe.

Tell me you're trying to make a joke or something?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Actually, for the *most part*, yes. I've found assembled system much more resilient to static shocks then the individual components (chips, transistors, diodes, etc.).
For the *most* part? Were your test shocks the same as a good healthy 50 kv doorknob snap? If your parts mostly survived the first snap, does that mean they will survive all following snaps?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.