Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard the three diffrent views on EMP, (1) It will happen, and fry transisters ans capaciters, (2) It will happen, and it won't be as bad as everyone says, (3) And the group that says that "they", who ever "they" are wouldn't waste a bomb on that. I am sure that group 3 are going to be loosers, if a conflict comes, the other two are argueable points.
The question here is, will EMP effect anything besides the coil, points and condenser, plugs and wires in a gas engine? A 1984 surbuban, V8 with michanical fuel injection(sorry about the spelling)?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Anything new than 1973 when they stopped using points, and went to using electronic ignition.

Into the late 70s you can still back engineer them to work.

After that its per application.

Your late 80s, would need all the pollution junk removed, and you would need a spare points distributor, and the knowledge in how to install it.

Or have a spare HEI distributor and know how to install it.

Fuel injection is dandy, but you better have an after market fuel cleaning system installed. You will be scavenging fuel, and you wont know how old it is, or how much rust and crap is in it.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,533 Posts
I believe the best preparation is to replace your gas powered vehicles with older diesel models that use no electronic components.
The older Dodge diesel pickups have gear driven fuel injectors and only use the 12v power for the starter motor, the alternator, head lights, and the fuel shut off valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.