Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all do know that all motor vehicles newer than 1972 are prone to never running again. Newer than 1992 scrap metal.

Even our 79 Chevy and 84 Ranger have to have parts put in a Faraday cage.
Ign module and alternators. After 92, you have to deal with computers, even newer, sensors.

Nukes are in the worlds future. Be prepared.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You all do know that all motor vehicles newer than 1972 are prone to never running again. Newer than 1992 scrap metal.

Even our 79 Chevy and 84 Ranger have to have parts put in a Faraday cage.

Ign module and alternators. After 92, you have to deal with computers, even newer, sensors.

Nukes are in the worlds future. Be prepared.
Most newer vehicle are shielded from electrical interference naturally as a side effect of an increasingly more computerized society. If you are that worried about a Nuke build a faraday cage and store an extra ECM and other sensitive parts, You can also turn your garage into a faraday cage.

Tests have been done into this area and for the most part 6 out of 10 newer vehicles start right back up after an EMP due to the modern EM shielding modern technology is required to have per the FCC to prevent interference, taking a few extra steps beyond that by keeping replacements for the more sensitive parts in a protective container like a faraday cage and you can minimize down time of a newer vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not worried all my stuff is either EMP proof or spare parts have been in the cage for over a year now.
No electronic computers are shielded. The transistors are going to fry. along with the electric door and window servos.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,281 Posts
DOES a steel sided and roofed building provide any EMP protection?

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
DOES a steel sided and roofed building provide any EMP protection?
If totally isolated and non grounded. One big cage
Continuous in circuit (metal roof continuous with metal side) and totally isolated. No power wires, phone lines, cable, etc can breach the outer shell. Some folks forget that the power to the shop is a problem.

But if it does have power, utilize surge protection where the power comes into the building and ensure it has a good ground.

One of the many theories on EMP protection:
https://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-grounding.html

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Most newer vehicle are shielded from electrical interference naturally as a side effect of an increasingly more computerized society. If you are that worried about a Nuke build a faraday cage and store an extra ECM and other sensitive parts, You can also turn your garage into a faraday cage.

Tests have been done into this area and for the most part 6 out of 10 newer vehicles start right back up after an EMP due to the modern EM shielding modern technology is required to have per the FCC to prevent interference, taking a few extra steps beyond that by keeping replacements for the more sensitive parts in a protective container like a faraday cage and you can minimize down time of a newer vehicle.

Provide the link to such milspec testing. Hint: there is no such. FCC radio interference standards have no relevance.

Start a GoFundMe. This testing would be excellent project.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-2 high altitude nukes and the left coast is open for invasion. The Chi-Coms are just readying and waiting. Maybe a pandemic might do the trick.

·
Almost Ready
110 Posts
If you’re truly concerned about it and have the financial means, buy yourself a classic car or truck.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Think again. A lot of brand new trucks can’t go into certain areas of my work where the magnetism is so strong it shuts them off.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,281 Posts
Does it have windows?
NO.

ALL metal with concrete floor. The building is 60' long and 24' wide.
IT has its own address with power running to it with its own breaker panel.

I also have another vehicle sized 26x12 with dirt floor and electrical is underground.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
I'll ask the question again:

After an EMP/MCD event, where are you going in your EMP protected car? within a couple of hours, anything on the road would be a 10,000ft target painted red, and if most all car electronics are gone, what's driving the machinery to make the fuel, carry the products to stores, haul the oil to the refineries, haul the gas to the non-existant stations, etc, etc, etc. All of the above to say I personally don't worry much about things I simply can't do anything to prevent. I'll sure prep food, water, equipment to clean water, ammo, etc. But no car parts.

Just my opinion.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
Dios y Tejas
6,683 Posts
I think the chance of an EMP attack is very low, invest in bicycles or horses if you are worried. If someone hits us with an EMP our boomers will shower down nuclear armageddon on them. An EMP attack is total war, everybody knows that. No grounded metal building with or without windows would save anyone from an EMP

The possibility of a CME is serious though. Concentrate on independent power (solar, wind etc) for light, commo, refrigeration and water pumpage if you are concerned about loss of grid power. Make your essentials independent from the grid, keep your wire runs short and ground all alternate power generation.

As others have cited, read up on futurescience.com

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,114 Posts
Im not worried all my stuff is either EMP proof or spare parts have been in the cage for over a year now.
No electronic computers are shielded. The transistors are going to fry. along with the electric door and window servos.
Loosen up the tin foil hat...
Modern day vehicle electronics are very protected. Most transistors have been replaced by FETs...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts