Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
It's been a while since I've been on, but I was watching TV and was caught up in what I thought was...well, I'm not sure, but it caught my attention. Turns out it was a religion channel, and this Jim Bakker was peddling a "powerless generator", and it caught my attention, because, well, I'd like to have one.
HOWEVER, the program is touting this as a viable power solution in the event of an EMP...be it man made, or natural.
My question is this...
Wouldn't this $2200 piece of equipment be as worthless as every other electronic item after an EMP??
I understand the benefits of having a solar generator, but he's selling this as if after an EMP the thing would supply power for all your needs...charging cell phones, radios, etc...
Does this make any sense?

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,850 Posts
A powerless generator, eh? Sounds like a zero-watt piece of equipment. :)

Electronics are potentially vulnerable to being zapped by an EMP. If the "powerless generator" has electronics to control the engine or the output, unless those electronics are shielded they're also potentially vulnerable.

And FWIW: After an EMP, charging your cellphone or radio isn't going to be a high priority. They'll be zapped, too, and the systems will, too.

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
There are a lot of scammers out there trying to sell "free power" that has been going on since the oil crisis of the 70's made electric rates jump for the first time.

Only difference ever since is now they have an extra target audience, namely preppers.

The only free power out there is unusable in its current form. Sun, wind, water, heat, or fuel all have to converted to electrical or mechanical power and that requires the equipment to use it.

Looking at the actual website, that isn't really a generator because it does not convert anything. If you read closely you "fill it" with a solar panel. A solar panel is actually a generator of sorts, but they aren't actually selling you that. What you have in that magic black box is nothing more than a battery cell and an AC inverter. No generator at all.

For $2200 you can buy some serious batteries and an inverter. Fact is you could get some solar panels too for that kind of money. But that wouldn't help Mr. Bakker with his kickbacks if you did that. He's got bills to pay.

Rule one about religion. If they are trying to sell you anything more than God then run away as fast as you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts