Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for the perfect pocket knife for about five years and everytime i buy something. It is not as good as expected, blade whobbles, or other crap. I just got a SOG trident, but it is very light and the blade wobbles.
I just found this Emerson CQC-15 tanto And I would appreciate you opinion on the knife.

http://www.emersonknives.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CQC15BTS&Category_Code=CQC15

Do you think it will last? I found a prices on google that range from $145-$160, So price isn't a big problem

·
Registered
143 Posts
Emersons have a reputation of being tough and reliable. I don't have one (yet) but I'm looking to get an Emerson CQC-8 which my ideal self defense knife because of the "wave" feature and the black coated blade. I like Emerson handles, you can get a really good grip on em. Nutnfancy approved!

·
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
4,771 Posts
I think you will find the Emerson to be very tough no frills knife. All their knives have liner locks. Liner locks are not lefty friendly. I've heard pros and cons about this type of lock.
I don't think that they are the strongest lock but I don't think it will fail on you either. The blade steel is 154cm which is good steel, sharpens easy and holds a good edge.

The tanto blade is just down rite TOUGH. The blade is thick all the way to the tip. You should never pry with a knife blade, but we all do in a pinch, and this blade grind will perform better than any other style blade. The blade is a chisel grind. Meaning it is only sharpened on one side. Some people do not like this as it is more lefty friendly cutting wise and others find it harder to sharpen.

Also the best feature is the wav opening. By far the fastest opening folder made.

I would say this knife rates up near the top for a survival knife.

If you do buy this, give up a review on how well you like it. Another good thing is that it is made in the good old USA. Your money will be well spent.
BTW I don't think there is a perfect knife....I'm still looking.

ken

·
Jesus, Family,and Country
158 Posts
What kind of steel is it made from. That is a fact that should always be known when thinking about buying a knife. I did not see the type of metal on the website. By the way I would personally suggest the recon-series from Cold Steel for a folder. They are very rugged knives, and I think the have aus8 stainless. However all of their knives are very solid.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i have a spec war commander model it has been with me for over five years now and never has let me down when need..
they are worth the money that you have paying for them..

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only thing I have against Emersons is the liner lock, I don't trust liner locks, other than that they look to be top quality knives. My favorite knives are the Benchmade 550 Griptilians, blade wobbles a little bit, but I have full faith in the Axis lock, and the blade quality is top notch, very sharp, and the handle fits my hands perfectly, also made here in the States.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only thing I have against Emersons is the liner lock, I don't trust liner locks, other than that they look to be top quality knives. My favorite knives are the Benchmade 550 Griptilians, blade wobbles a little bit, but I have full faith in the Axis lock, and the blade quality is top notch, very sharp, and the handle fits my hands perfectly, also made here in the States.
I have myself a Griptilian 553SBK. Fits my hand great, no blade play at all on mine, and I like the Axis lock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Simply put, Emerson is the best and last knife you will ever purchase.

I've had mine 7 years now and it's still like new. If you need it sharpened just send it off to Emerson and they clean it up very nicely. I met some employees at the Shot Show in Orlando. They were all cool and appreciate their customers feedback.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
You will never have any problems with Emerson...extremely well made knives and will take hard usage with stride...you won't be disappointed.

I've never owned one but friends have them and they all swear by them and are their usual daily carry knives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts