Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 3600 calorie food bar and I'm also getting 6 of those little 4 oz emergency water packets. I don't hold these tiny things in particularly high regard. When I carry drinking water, I carry a nalgene bottle and I'm considering a canteen. When I store water long term, I am thinking to store a lot of it, not 2 sips per packet. But they're coming and I'm not about to waste em. I'm wondering if they're safe to freeze. I have a small cooler and if I had the opportunity to take it with me, they could serve as drinkable ice packs.

Does anybody know if they'll freeze safely? Does anybody swear by these and could tell me if or why my disdain of them is unwarranted?

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
They are tiny, yet that's what most survival/ark kits have in them, foil packs or sippy boxes.
Thats why I've never ordered any water cases, too much freight/weight. Need to find local dealer.
Read the other day that if you keep water bottles out in car and it freezes/thaws/freezes you will get plastic poison drinking the water. Haven't read that about foil packs or boxes.
Yet, I freeze and drink water bottles every summer. Now, I'm not so sure I will next summer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Guessing you're talking the WalMart LifeGear thing with the 6pk of food and water for a 3d supply? Why would you want to freeze that? Those are for the BOB... not exactly something you freeze. Besides, directly drinking frozen or very cold water/snow is calorie and hydration negative... burns more cals and water to warm it up than you gain by taking it in, smart guy.

Put a couple of those 3d packs and basic preps (multi tool, tarp, blanket, twine, fire starting, canteen with purification tabs, flashlight, revolver, etc) in a backpack... and no need to freeze it.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I ordered it from a site called 'The 7 store'. They sell a Mainstay 3600 calorie food bar and 6 water packets for $8.95. Struck me as a good deal so I ordered it along with some other odds and ends i didn't have yet. To be honest, I ordered it for the food bar. The water packets are a perk. Not even a perk. More like a by-product. But I'm just trying to come up with uses for the tiny things. I was just wondering if they freeze safely.

·
Gone Postal
550 Posts
For home based water storage, my apartment has a pump that can be attached to a 5 gallon water jug. For portable water, I've got a Camelbak Thermobak, as well as an Omega reservoir in my R.A.I.D. pack. I'm also getting one of those 3600 calorie Mainstay bars with those foil packs of water (Basic Human Unit and I share an apartment, and we ordered at the same time), so I'm also interested in whether freezing these foil packs are safe.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I ordered the Mainstay 4 oz emergency drinking water packets (beprepared.com) for our vehicle emergency bags. One of the reasons I chose them is that they can "double as ice packs." That means I don't have to worry about them bursting in my bag during Wisconsin's frigid winter temperatures! I haven't actually tried one yet, though... Has anyone else?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I ordered the Mainstay 4 oz emergency drinking water packets (beprepared.com) for our vehicle emergency bags. One of the reasons I chose them is that they can "double as ice packs." That means I don't have to worry about them bursting in my bag during Wisconsin's frigid winter temperatures! I haven't actually tried one yet, though... Has anyone else?
I ordered them from the same place. On a large enough order the shipping is free. I tried them...tasted just like water. I keep some in the trunk of my car and they freeze/thaw. No problems so far. It isn't a lot of water, but in an emergency they would work.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
take quart size chunks of FLAT ice, use a jello mold to freeze them into flat chunks, and food saver seal them in individual packets. keep them frozen or let them thaw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.