Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was out hunting on thursday, I was told an interesting method of emergency water collection by the countrymen I was with.
They said that if you spear or shoot a Buffalo (or any other grass-eater, for that matter) you can wring water from the stomach contents, let it settle in bark panikins, and then...drink it.
You would have to be bloody thirsty, but interesting technique, nonetheless. Next time I shoot a buff, I will give it a go, but I won't promise that I'll actually drink the stuff!
Update soon...

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
There's a Ray Mears video on youtube.
The real heroes of the Telemark.
Norwegian soldiers fighting the Nazis, they used traditional food gathering techniques. After shooting a reindeer they would eat the undigested stomach contents.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Yep, I've heard of this, not tried it though. =P

I've heard there a cavity in a sharks insides (not the gut) that holds fresh water, I haven't caught any sharks recently to check this though.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Nifty idea, but to be honest just according to the "rules of three" you shouldn't be hunting if you have no water, you should be gathering or sourcing water. I know one of you will say what if I find it already dead, well then the animal is treated as a contaminant and the water will be unfit to drink in a matter of hours after death. I know Bear and the other guy drink water from poo and all kinds of stuff but it is the most grave mistake you could ever make in a real survival situation. Just imagine a case of the muddy runs after drinking that, it will dehydrate you and cripple you.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
61 Posts
Yep, I've heard of this, not tried it though. =P

I've heard there a cavity in a sharks insides (not the gut) that holds fresh water, I haven't caught any sharks recently to check this though.
Unless I'm mistaken I think all fish (even saltwater guys like sharks & that) have a pouch of fresh water somewhere along the spine (maybe behind it) I'd have to look it up though.
Never heard about drinking gut water but I'll remember that next time I venture West a bit, no Buffalo's in Pittsburgh outside the zoo & I imagine they'll be the first things to go if the world ends... :(

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
swim bladder. They use it to regulate their depth and keeps them swimming upright

Reactions: Te Hopo

·
28 Days Later
1,647 Posts
as much as i would try to do it, i honestly think i'd puke my brains out and lose more water/food that way then i would if i tried this method lol.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
It's always good to learn more survival techniques. However, I think I might die of thirst before I drink gut water. Or I'd yack my own guts out trying to get that nasty stuff down and wind up more dehydrated than before I tried.

About the blood: I think I could get that down without yacking. On television I've seen Kenyans in Africa "milking" cows like that; they poke the cow in the side and collect the blood for drinking later. Anyone have any more info on this as an alternative source of liquid in the wild? (I hope I got the people who do this and the country correct. If not feel free to correct that mistake.)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I remember something similar to this on man vs wild . Bear came across a dead camel in the desert and drank the stomach contents.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
About the blood: I think I could get that down without yacking. On television I've seen Kenyans in Africa "milking" cows like that; they poke the cow in the side and collect the blood for drinking later. Anyone have any more info on this as an alternative source of liquid in the wild? (I hope I got the people who do this and the country correct. If not feel free to correct that mistake.)
Not sure if it's the Kenyans, but the tribe in case pokes a small hole into the cows throat, lets the blood run out into a bowl, then smears clay (I think) on the wound.
The blood is then mixed with a little milk and then drunk warm before it congeales.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
The cow does not die. On the youtube responses he says he was sick after drinking it. Western stomachs are probably unaccustomed to it, with practice though...
There is a swear word.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
When I was out hunting on thursday, I was told an interesting method of emergency water collection by the countrymen I was with.
They said that if you spear or shoot a Buffalo (or any other grass-eater, for that matter) you can wring water from the stomach contents, let it settle in bark panikins, and then...drink it.
You would have to be bloody thirsty, but interesting technique, nonetheless. Next time I shoot a buff, I will give it a go, but I won't promise that I'll actually drink the stuff!
Update soon...
I wish I could be there to see this. In abundant times you will probably puke it all back up, if you have indeed managed to get it to your lips but in dire need it will probably be the sweetest liquid ever to pass your tonsils.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
You might want to save that trick of ringing water from the stomach for a true survival situation. I should imagine the chances of contracting worms or other parasites, such as Fluke, to be quite high.

:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts