Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to COSTCO today and saw they had an "Emergency Water Filter" Package for $24..on the package it says "makes 3 liters a day for 3 days"...while $24 is a little steep for about 9 liters of pure H20, I was wondering if anyone has used or tried them, and if so what your opinion is.

Company is Life Pack and can be found on www.hiwater.com

Seems like it would do in a real pinch.

Meadow Muffin

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Sounds high to me for just 9 liters of water. Rather have a couple of 7 gallon jugs of water stored for that price.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Hard to find any real information on it, including the companies web site;
http://www.htiwater.com/divisions/personal_hydration/index.html

They say alot but give no real test results. talk about forward osmosis and how it makes purified water from any source.

I guess it's possible.

It does seem rather expensive way of making purified water. Seems to rely on it's own proprietary 'secret sauce' to make it all possible.

Reactions: vicdotcom

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
I'd rather just carry a good purifier instead. Cheaper in the long run and will provide a lot more water. Water is hugely important and 9 liters is just not very much, even for a single person.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Sounds awful similar to the "Sea-Pack" emergency pouch desalinator they used to sell at costco. That used forward osmosis also. About the same yield and price also.

Amazon.com: SeaPack Crew Emergency Desalination Pouch: Sports & Outdoors

I wonder if that is why it costs so much. I mean for desalination packs it made sense to pay that cost, but I have a feeling they couldn't sell enough and is trying to translate it into a more wider market?

Hard to find any real information on it, including the companies web site;
http://www.htiwater.com/divisions/personal_hydration/index.html

They say alot but give no real test results. talk about forward osmosis and how it makes purified water from any source.

I guess it's possible.

It does seem rather expensive way of making purified water. Seems to rely on it's own proprietary 'secret sauce' to make it all possible.
AAAH!!! Yea! See, it is the same company that makes those "Sea Packs" just re-labeled. Bet that is why they are so expensive. I wonder if the Life Packs can do saltwater also.
http://www.htiwater.com/seapack.html?&Vl=5&Tp=2

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Sounds about right. From what I could gather from their site it does seem that it could do seawater too.

Boating market, for those thinking of being stranded at sea, would be small.

It would be a better marketing strategy to say it works for hurricanes and was used by the military during Katrina.

I'd like to know what's in the 'secret sauce', since you'd be drinking that.

$20+ for 9 liters does seem a bit much.
Only our military could afford such a thing for making more then a little water.

Reactions: vicdotcom and MikeK

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm glad the correct link was provided. The link op provided is just an advertising racket that is almost a rip-off of my business name. I'm okay with that though since hiwater isn't selling filters. :)

I wouldn't want a legitimate hiwater.com to be a competitor.

I wouldn't want this product. It makes a sports drink. I've never drank one of those in my life and I don't want to start when the shtf. I'll filter my water and leave the expensive gimmicks to the prepper who has everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts