Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks pretty good, be sure to let us know how you feel about it when it comes.

However be careful of the "Solar / Hand-Crank Powered Flashlight" These devices became quite popular 2-3 years ago and unfortunately suffer from a stupid design flaw. Inside the vast majority of them is a tiny button cell that the hand crank/solar panel charges. These cells are cheep, have no overcharge protection and have a shelf life much shorter then an average AA battery. I would under no circumstance trust one in a prep kit.

That being said there was a retailer here who claimed he had the problem fixed, It's too bad i can't remember who it was.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Please don't think I'm trying to be negative. This kit is not for 10 people. Buy it if you want but don't count on it
to take care of ten people for a week. Here are my observations:
1. You do get 30 containers of water but even this company admits it's 3 days water for 1 person.
2. 2 pair vinyl gloves. What are 10 people going to do with 2 pr. of vinyl gloves?
3. 1 pair work gloves. Will your group of 10 be working 1 at a time?
4. 5 emergency candles. Those are good. I bought a box last week for $1.25 plus tax.
5. 50 waterproof matches. Good also. I bought 2 boxes (about 75 matches) for about $4.00 when I got my candles last week.
6. 50 water purification tablets. You can purchase these for about $6.00.
7. 1 package toilet chemicals. You'll get most likely a tiny ziplock bag with enough chemicals to break down maybe 1 trip doing #2. You can get these for .35 each online or you can buy a big box from Sears for about $6.00 or you can buy a box of ridX for about $4.00 or you can dig a whole and bury it for free.
8. The sheltering supplies cost about $3.00 a piece from any supplier.
9. AND THIS IS MY BIGGIE OBJECTION - 10 food bars. The advertisement says 3 days for 1 person. I guess the other 9 people will watch as 1 person eats all the food. Also, have you ever tasted these bars? They are GROSS. I bought some last year thinking they are easy to transport, lots of calories and no cooking. We opened a package and we couldn't choke them down. The box got pushed to the back of the closet. I guess I'll use them as a doorstop or maybe give them to someone I don't like if they are hungry.

I have generally found that these pre-packaged kits are worthless for the money. They give people a false sense that they are prepared. I can't tell whether this first aid kit is good or not since all they say is well stocked. Most likely that means some cotton balls, a few bandaids, a little bit of tape, maybe 2 or 3 antibiotic cream packets and a cheapo pair of scissors.

Before you buy this kit, please go to: www.beprepared.com and check out their medical supplies. You can buy item by item and I think they have good prices.

The point I'm trying to make is you can't buy a kit that will actually feed, provide water, medical supplies, shelter, a toilet and gloves for 10 people for a week for this amount of money. You could do it buying items individually and putting the kits together yourself. You probably could even do the kits yourself using upgraded supplies for this amount of money. But whatever you do, please do not rely on this kit to take care of 10 people for a week.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
It's a newbie mistake. The idea of stocking so many supplies overwhelms a body. When they run into these kits they think ... ahh, a short cut and they listen to the hype. This kit would not take care of 1 person for a week much less 10, imo.

I do have some of these supplies (packaged water, emergency blanket, plastic sheet for shelter, food but not these "bars") in the trunk of my car. I sometimes loan my car out and the things are there if they get stuck on the side of the road. However, I wouldn't rely on these prepacked kits more than 1 day.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no, I thank you for the advice :)
I was thinking it would make a perfect car kit all in one spot. We would only have 5 with us at any time, so figured it would last 10 days if we were stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's a newbie mistake. The idea of stocking so many supplies overwhelms a body. When they run into these kits they think ... ahh, a short cut and they listen to the hype. This kit would not take care of 1 person for a week much less 10, imo.
I don't think its so much of a mistake as a difference opinion. I'm sure that the kit would be fine for 10 people for 3 days as advertised. Would it be a vacation? Hell no but it would facilitate survival. At the end of the 3 days I believe all 10 people will be alive and well.

Why is it a difference of opinion? Some (or alot) of people here are under the impression that 1 person requires an 80lb BOB. That's not a joke, I have seen a few bags posted with a weight of almost 80 lbs.

Personally that kit is a little too light for me. I would like more gear/food. That being said maybe that's all the OP cares for. If nothing else its a pretty good start. Either way you would SURVIVE with that kit for 3 days and that's all it advertised.

I would however recommend you add a few things to it.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Kits are handy if you don't feel up to making one for yourself, but I agree it's pretty thin and gives you more self-confidence than you should have with it. It is much more expensive than building one yourself also.
If you have 10 people, they should each have a backpack filled with essentials, even kids and the family dog too, so your supplies are easier to carry on foot if necessary and none of them are too heavy for one person to carry. There should be some redundancy in case you are separated or one or more packs are lost or somehow ruined, such as wind and water proof matches and water packs, water container, or water filters...very basic essentials in each pack. Nonessential supplies could be divided between the packs. Maybe one person could carry a water rehydration system in addition to others carrying filters, and you'd be able to carry more food as well between you.
By making up your own packs, you could avoid junk in favor of better quality gear, and make sure you have all essentials. Even with better quality gear, I think you'd save money. You would also not have to pay shipping on what can be gotten locally. Even if each person didn't have his own pack, dividing it into three packs or so would still be better than two pails that also don't allow you to have your hands free.
Backpacks can also be in better colors if you are trying to prevent discovery of your group. White pails are fine in winter but...
The ad certainly is misleading...it will not keep 10 people for more than a day.

·
Registered
228 Posts
9. AND THIS IS MY BIGGIE OBJECTION - 10 food bars. The advertisement says 3 days for 1 person. I guess the other 9 people will watch as 1 person eats all the food. Also, have you ever tasted these bars? They are GROSS. I bought some last year thinking they are easy to transport, lots of calories and no cooking. We opened a package and we couldn't choke them down. The box got pushed to the back of the closet. I guess I'll use them as a doorstop or maybe give them to someone I don't like if they are hungry./
Actually, each bar is three days for one person,(3600 calorie bars scored to split into 9 pieces, 3 per day yields 1200 calories) so 10 bars equals 3 days food for 10 people. They're actually fairly large and dense(not candy bar size).

That said, it's not gourmet dining, but it is subsistence. I have a few of these bars in my vehicle. They take wild temperature fluctuations and remain edible and have a 5 year shelf life. Hence, their inclusion in my car kit.

·
You looking at me!
4,026 Posts
Its for "survival" worst case scenario not fine dining in the woods.

Motherearth can get thse basic kits and adapt them to her needs

We dont always have time to trawl the net to find the 50 or so items youre gonna want then hope they all arrive in the mail.

I would say buy yourself 1 or 2 then add to it, its a great way to cover all the bases by having a template to look at.

Food that generally tastes gross will still be there when you need them as you wont want to snack on them.

Ive also only been doing this for about a year but that doesnt make one any less able to prepare than people who have done this for years.
You are taking action and doing something positive!!!

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Imo, I figure out what I'd need( or want) for a day( water-1 gal drinking{depending on the weather- Summer, I may need 2 gal}- 2 gal, cooking and washing; food- 2 MRE) and then multiply that by how many days and by how many folks.....some things, like FAK, lights, roll of TP, etc can service several folks for several days.....also, am I out where I can forage or stuck in a building and can't get out?

·
Prepared
301 Posts
The food and water is for 1 person for 3 days.

Each 10-Person-Deluxe-Office ER Emergency Ready™ Survival Kit contains the following:
FOOD & WATER
(10) ER™ Food Bars - U.S. Coast Guard approved. 3 day supply for 1 person, 5 year shelf-life.
(30) Water Boxes with Straws - U.S. Coast Guard approved. 3 day supply for 1 person, 5 year shelf-life.
(50) ER™ Water Purification Tablets - To purify unsanitary water. One tablet purifies one liter of water.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The food and water is for 1 person for 3 days.

Each 10-Person-Deluxe-Office ER Emergency Ready™ Survival Kit contains the following:
FOOD & WATER
(10) ER™ Food Bars - U.S. Coast Guard approved. 3 day supply for 1 person, 5 year shelf-life.
(30) Water Boxes with Straws - U.S. Coast Guard approved. 3 day supply for 1 person, 5 year shelf-life.
(50) ER™ Water Purification Tablets - To purify unsanitary water. One tablet purifies one liter of water.
http://www.quakekare.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

Large picture of the food bar. As it says on the bar it is a 3 day supply. There is a 2400 cal version also, and those might be in this kit instead of the 3600. Regardless, 1 bar feeds 1 person for 3 days as it plainly says on the packaging. Therefore, 10 will feed 10 for 3 days. The website does not do a good job of making this clear. I own these bars. Have them in my car kit. I bar is a 3 day supply.

·
Born to prep
3,805 Posts
I you are trying to kit out only 5 people, I think you would be better served by setting up a BOB for each of the and having a tote with community gear in it. Do you know what each person has now if any in the way of gear, do any of them have a back pack and any of the items on the list. There are a LOT of BOB list on this board read them, copy them and then pick and choose what items you want on your list. Print the list, give them to each person asking the to check of any items that they have on hand then return the list to you. Then call every one, tell them to bring the items they have from the list with the, You can say it be a pizza party if you wish but I would serve the food that is in consideration for the kits to what is editable and what is not, after what good will the food do if no one will eat it. The only gear you have to buy is what the others do not have use the party as time for everyone to load there packs and try them out.

Each kit should have the following
Food X number of days.
Water X number of day.
Firstaid kit
Hygiene kit
Knife
Flash light
Space blanket
Rain gear
A sheet of plastic
Dust mask
Safety goggles not glasses
Work gloves leather
Baseball cap
Watchman’s cap
Messkit - stainless steel with knife, fork, spoon and can opener. A P-51 works better then a P-38
Light stick{s}
Whistle
Fire starting X 3
Candles
Extra clothing
One of the following - Axe, saw, leverage tool, E-tool, hatchet or small sledge hammer.

Backs packs - Well made backs packs can be found at thrift stores, yard sales and clearance sales. Also look into getting military surplus a wile back I bought military web gear sets with back packs for only $4.99 each .

Gloves - shop around, places like Big Lots a lot of times have gloves cheep, the color may not be quite right but they will work. If each of them was to look around there house they may be able to find gloves that will work.

Food - a few of the foods I like are Zatarain’s sides, pouch Spam and pouch tuna. Shop around if the food can be eaten without heating all the better.

Tools- look around does someone have an axe, saw, leverage tool, E-tool, hatchet or small sledge hammer at home? Yard sales are a good place to find tools cheep, last summer I bought a large craftsman’s bow saw for $2.00, I fide axes, shovels, pry bars, hatchets and hammers for $1-$5.00.
The best thing to do is shop around look for deals they are out there.

The less you have to spend on gear the more you have for food. Buy the best you can and then upgrade latter as you find better. Right now I have something like 15 full sets of gear and it is only me, but it should make for some good trade stock. Also if it comes down to getting shot for my gear I can drop it, and resupply at home then go back and get my stuff back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.