Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I bought an Eton FR600 solarlink radio today; I'm at home trying it out and thinking to myself is there a need for shortwave bands and if so how will they be usefull. Anyone got some help for me as I may take the radio back and get the next lower model without shortwave if there is no need fro it. Thanks in advance.

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
They may be the only frequencies that you are able to get any information on is why. When TSHF, information....especially timely information is vital and life saving. If you can afford it, then don't skimp. You may be glad one day that you have that added capabillity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cost of the radio is of no concern as I already purchased the radio. The reason I ask what the use was is because so far all the stations I was able to pick up were is a language I don't understand; so thus far shortwave is useless to me. I'm assuming in a emergency stituation there will be more broadcasts in the english language. Thank you for replying to my post.

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I bought a C Crane Baygen crank radio over 10 years ago.

The only way you will know whats going on is via shortwave.

Radio Free America will rise from the ashes

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
The cost of the radio is of no concern as I already purchased the radio. The reason I ask what the use was is because so far all the stations I was able to pick up were is a language I don't understand; so thus far shortwave is useless to me. I'm assuming in a emergency stituation there will be more broadcasts in the english language. Thank you for replying to my post.
shortwave isn't like AM/FM, there's time I can't here anything in Alaska,and times I can here 20 different BBC broadcasts. Not to mention great Chinese
music and Pravda.

·
Double tap
691 Posts
I have been eyeballing one of these as of late because it has minor broadcasting abilities if only up to a few miles. I might get one to compliment my Kaito.
http://www.fm2way.com/survival.htm
I have one of these in camo color. I read mixed reviews and was weary about purchasing it. I have been happy with it. We keep it in the tent when we camp and send the kids out with the other radios. Works really well.:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have been eyeballing one of these as of late because it has minor broadcasting abilities if only up to a few miles. I might get one to compliment my Kaito.
http://www.fm2way.com/survival.htm
I bought one a couple years ago and have been very pleased with it. It has got me through a few long term power outages, and I use it every day. it sits outside in my screened in porch 24/7 365. -5 degrees to 105 degrees it always works. Hope that helps.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts
I have the Observer from CCrane and a Eton I purchased from Radio Shack. CCrane has outstanding radios in my opinion, customer service is good also! Radio Shack has really good sales you just have to watch and ask. The Eton was $45.00 I asked the sales guy "Is that the best you can do" I paid $18.00 plus tax!

·
Registered
413 Posts
As the info on this thread could have been outdated, can anyone review any other solar / cranked SW radios please, as I am about to buy one.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts