Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching out emergency had crank radios. Seems to be a lot of differing reviews on these. Has anyone purchased one of these and what kind of performance does it show?

·
One with everything...
1,808 Posts
On my red cross special, I've used it on the crank... it worked pretty good, but still, winding that thing up every hour or so for 5-10 minutes gets boring. I guess if I had nothing else to do then sure, I'll spend my time cranking my flashlight/radio, but personally I'd prefer the battery function unless there were absolutely no batteries to be had... which means I failed in my preps.

The radio itself on mine is pretty fair - the NOAA functions work well, the radio receives good enough, tho the speaker quality is so-so with not a lot of volume, but it was an OK machine. The flashlight is a plus.

Bottom line - if you're in a shelter with nothing to do then it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I've got a couple different ones.

An older Grundig FR-200 I've had for years and a newer Sangean MMR-77.

Both work well and tend to be my shop/around the farm radios. The generator/Dynamo works fine, but the radios are so efficient that I tend to just run them on rechargeable batteries instead of the built in rechargeable battery.

The main thing is that you'd need to wind it up about the time you're on a ladder or under a vehicle working on something and regular or rechargeable batteries will last seemingly months, but who knows I never counted the hours on it!

The Dynamo is cool, but modern radios may be better served with a spare set (or two) of batteries and a very small Sony or Sangean that is very compact and light weight!

SD

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
i have a Tecsun Green GR-168. there is no weather band, but where i live now there is no need for it. all i can say is that it works and works very well. actually better than i had originally hoped for. internal rechargeable batteries and i just use additional rechargeables in the battery compartment. i also have a random wire external antenna that is easily attached for greater reception range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECSUN-GREEN-168-FM-MW-SW1-2-Dynamo-Emergency-Radio-Receiver-/380332930731

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since nearly every handheld two-way radio I own also does weather band and the FM commercial band, I gave up on owning stand alone crank radios.

For me (and your situation may vary), carrying (or packing) another radio that did less than my handheld HT made little sense (especially considering my ability to talk to other folks as well with my HT), especially when the LiIon extended battery seems to last forever, and I can recharge it via a small solar panel or a 8.5v cigarette lighter.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,763 Posts
I like my eaton. Has a battery but also a crank and little solar panel. Solar is very slow. I am ok with listening to weather stations but no relying on them for warnings. I do like the flashlight it has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.