Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love any suggestions/advice about my logistical planning problem:

- I've never really stored up any home-canned goods, but plan on doing so & keeping in closet under finished basement stairs (coolest, darkest, least disturbed place in house that doesn't experience temp changes like garage does).

- I'm in the NE USA, so cold winters are the issue. I'm also limited in heating options because I'm in a HOA & townhouse type situation & town/hoa heating regs (no propane, no wood burning stove installation). But, on the + side, houses are fairly new constx & fairly tight. 3 floors - finished basement, kitchen/livgrm main floor, upstairs has bedrooms.

- In a SHTF 1 - 4 week situation of loss of electricity in cold weather (but where natural gas service is still in tact), my plan is to "shrink" the heated area to the kitchen & living room. 1 hour of oven cooking keeps this floor very warm all day long. Sub-0 sleeping bags in living room.

- The Problem: If I'm only heating the main living room/kitchen area, will the canned goods in finished basement freeze & crack? If so, will that generally happen when it's cold enough that the can's contents freeze? If so, any suggestions for insulation or storage additions to prevent this or other ideas to help solve this logistical problem?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
I'm in WI so we get cold too. This is hard to explain... our garage is in the ground at the same level as the basement...into a hill...and the house is on top. The garage is not heated and the coldest it has gotten is 40 degrees even when it is below zero outside. I've got all my preps in the basement and because the basement is in the ground below the frost line, it won't get cold enough to freeze the prep stuff. Our plan is to live in the basement if SHTF and we lose electric/gas. It will be warmer than the upstairs.

You could add those heavy pink sheets of insulation inside your prep closet if you want extra insurance against temp fluctuations

·
Registered
374 Posts
Canning jars are made to handle not only heat from pressure canning but freezing as well. Consistency of the food might change but it will not spoil from freezing. As for food in metal cans, not sure, my preps are in a middle room of the house wehre temps are fairly consistent.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,077 Posts
I'd guess that your finished basement wouldn't get anywhere near freezing temperatures. The ground temperature is about as low as you'll likely go, given that the floor above will be warmer and some of that heat will radiate downward.

My basement is mostly finished, with one half-wall exposed to the north winds. There is a bedroom in one corner, and I have the heat vent closed. With the door closed that room drops to about 60 degrees or so, but that's about it.

One thing you can do (assuming you can get a propane burner to use outside) is to heat up thermal mass and bring it inside. The two I have are bricks and water. Just heat some of that up, bring inside and let them lose their heat to the inside. You could take a large pot of boiling water, keep the lid on it, and place it in your canned foods area.

But I doubt you'd need it. As long as you're reasonably warm on the floor above, I don't think that basement would get much below 50 degrees.

PS: HOA be damned--if after 2-4 weeks of no heat they'd be on you for ANYTHING you'd do, then they can take a hike.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I live in Minnesota in an area where it can get to -40F and I store my can goods in the basement (including the ones I can) and have never had problems. As mentioned it doesn't get so cold food would freeze since it's below ground for the most part and the temperature doesn't fluctuated much year round. It's still cool when it's 100F outside. As to the home canned good, those cans are used to store food in the freezer also. In both cases you never fill the jars all the way to the top to allow expansion.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
little off topic ... but .... you might need to change your heating plan to include or be exclusive to that finished basement .... all depends on the amount of lead flying around your neighborhood ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts