Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase emergency food items for my family. When doing research on who and what I came accross a company selling buckets that would feed 1 adult for 30 days from that bucket while it seemed like another was selling #10 cans. Wouldn't it be better to open 1 bucket every 30 days which contained everything needed for those days rather than open numerous #10 cans (1 of beens, rice, etc)? I am thinking of shelf life here. Once openned the lifespan of the contents would be ticking away faster right?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I am looking to purchase emergency food items for my family. When doing research on who and what I came accross a company selling buckets that would feed 1 adult for 30 days from that bucket while it seemed like another was selling #10 cans. Wouldn't it be better to open 1 bucket every 30 days which contained everything needed for those days rather than open numerous #10 cans (1 of beens, rice, etc)? I am thinking of shelf life here. Once openned the lifespan of the contents would be ticking away faster right?

Am I missing something?
look at coctco online. dont buy beans and rice in cans it cost way too much get them in big bags and store in 5 gallon buckets. buy things like meats and veggies,milk, eggs,fruits in cans.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm thinking it would not make much difference, especially when feeding several persons. A #10 can contents would be used up before it went bad in most cases.

·
Super Moderator
20,631 Posts

Am I missing something?
I'd buy a couple of buckets to enhance my preps, but certainly wouldn't count on living on them. Do you know the calorie count of the meals? What if you don't like some? Do the sales at the grocery store, check Sam's and Costco. Store what you eat. Go do some searching on this board...there are tons of threads on food

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Am I missing something?
It really depends on how the contents in the bucket are packaged. IIRC, dehydrated foods should be eaten within 14 days of opening. Check with the manufacturer to confirm.

I thought, but have not confirmed, that the bucket meals had the individual contents packaged inside of them as well.

It all depends on how fast you consume a #10 can. It will be faster than you think, because all serving sizes are small. IIRC, a typical Mountain House entree in a #10 can has about 6,000 calories. That's 6 meals on full rations, 12 on half rations. So, you could eat a meal out of the can every day and still consume it in the 14 days.

Obligatory statement: Taste is the most important criteria when selecting preprepared food. Everything else (with the possible exception of price) comes in second. For me, caloric content comes in second or third, and packaging doesn't even factor in.

Taste it to make sure you like it.

Ignore servings and serving sizes - pay attention to aggregate caloric amount.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
info says 2200 calories/day for 30 days per bucket. Resealable mylar packaging inside the bucket. That would not be bad if it tasts ok.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...part of your research must be to try out the items to see which taste/prep you prefer. I realize this adds extra cost to your prepping but you must have the confidence that you have met your food needs when things go sideways otherwise you are left with trying to problem solve something you thought you had taken care of while responding to a host of new/unexpected issues.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
How big is your family? Are you prepping for you alone? Or you, a wife, and kids? You need to take that into consideration too. A family of five or six would finish off a #10 can within a meal or two.

Most bulk foods are considered good for months (if not a year or more) after opening if stored right. Figure out what your needs are and go from there.

BTW, we have both.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
info says 2200 calories/day for 30 days per bucket. Resealable mylar packaging inside the bucket. That would not be bad if it tasts ok.
That's not bad. You can use staples, such as rice, to add to the caloric content or extend the length of the bucket.

Rereading your post, your primary concern with shelf life after opening is for dehydrated foods only. Wet foods you should consume immediately, dry goods (like rice and beans) will last much longer than two weeks when opened. Perhaps years, if stored in a cool dark place. Dehydrated foods are what you're concerned about.

If you're satisfied with caloric content, I would get samples to taste everything first before placing a mass order. If you like the taste, then order.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,628 Posts

Am I missing something?
The first thing to know about any "survival" food is that they all pad the "days" that they will feed you. Never go by servings, days, meals, or anything else they use. Calculate the actual food calories. They love to pad the calorie count on those kits with added sugars and sweet drink mixes. Only food calories count, so subtract these calories. Figure out many calories the actual food part contains and divide it by how many calories a day you require. Some of their "days" are less than 1,000 calories and their "meals" are 100-200.

Some foods last fine when opened. Beans, pasta and grains are a good example. This is why they can sit in your cupboard for a year or two easily, in nothing more than the thin plastic bag that you buy them from the store in. The premade mixes that you just add water to don't last nearly as well and they're pretty much a eat them up as you open them proposition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents, but like mentioned before calories is the main issue. You have to look at it as a survival scenario...are you concerned about taste, then go for the gourmet camping food. But for long term storage I look at the caloric count, is is portable, can I split up a large stock into individual meals, am I moving or stationary? These are just a few of the criterias I use when looking at long term food supplies.

After 21 years in the Army, my way of looking at food comes down to weight, calories,and portability which all play a factor. There are several companies out there that have long term foods in #10 cans...great idea but poor choice for survival as it weighs more, once open you need to consume it before it spoils, and of course, an opener. I'd rather have individual meals that I can pick and choose and easily move if need be. Again, just my opinion...

·
Registered
52 Posts
For the bulk items you use everyday, buckets are a better way to go...
I went with the #10 cans because of variety, its that simple. I'm not Locked into say White rice and red beans for two weeks at a time. My family can go through a # 10 can in 2 to 3 days, and allows us more variety in the short term. The down side is of course price per serving, but i've learned to be patient and buy in bulk (by the case) vesus building up a varied supply all at once. Week 1, i might buy a case of pasta, wek 2 a case of rice, week 3 a case of scrambled eggs, etc.
Whatever you choose, stick with it, and try to get something every pay day. Food is only going to keep on becoming more expense, as will evrything else... We have sacrificed vacations and lots of other common "luxeries" to
get our food storage set up over the years, and we are now starting to use it, I am happy that when i could afford to, i went with quality suppliers, because the stuff is actually very good.

·
Grevcon 10
5,792 Posts
Before you purchase either, PLEASE look at the ingredients & nutrition information. Check if it is "REAL MEAT or TPV", how much salt & the amount of calories in a meal. These are important considerations. You will find that with some products a "MEAL IS ONLY 100 CALORIES.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,697 Posts
I have a couple of these 1 person, 30 day kits http://www.augasonfarms.com/food-storage/everyday-size/one-month-pack from Augason Farms...

In addition, i have 4 costco 275 serving meal buckets and 2 chefs banquet tubs...

Now, i also have buckets of rice n beans, with portioned out servings and moving boxes full of misc canned goods...

it's important i think, to have a mix.....

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts

Am I missing something?
Prepackaged survival pack are usually not such a great buy. Best to put your own plan together. Put stuff you know your family will eat.

This is probably the best basic intro to food storage. You can skip past the religious part at the beginning if your not interested in it.

The LDSers have food prep down to a science.

LDSPreparedness.pdf

You'll have to google for it. I couldn't find it in Kev's downloads. ("survival files" on the bar above)

That one is mostly aimed at log term storage and long term SHTFs.

·
Got to keep on keepin on
1,648 Posts
From the can of Augason Farms dehydrated bell peppers I opened yesterday:
"Shelf life estimate are based on industry studies from sources deemed reputable. Since Augason Farms has no control over individual storage practices, they must disclaim any liability or warranty for particular results."
"Shelf life - Best stored in a cool dry place at temperatures between 55 to 70 degs F
Sealed: to 25 years/Opened: to 1 year"

and has a few little boxes to record opening date.

Note also that there are no preservatives added in this product.
1 year w/o preservatives is an acceptable tradeoff for me.

If you can't consume a #10 can in a year, then you're not EWYS/SWYE, imo.

·
Got to keep on keepin on
1,648 Posts
I have a couple of these 1 person, 30 day kits http://www.augasonfarms.com/food-storage/everyday-size/one-month-pack from Augason Farms...

it's important i think, to have a mix.....
Walmart was selling these
http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products/Kits/Breakfast-Pack
&
http://www.augasonfarms.com/Prodcuts/Kits/Dinner-Pack
for around $65 a few months ago. A little smaller and stores under the seats of our trailer or under a bed easily. Also a little smaller chunk of change at one shot.

I agree that it's important to have a mix. Having a variety of MH meals/MRE's in 5 gal buckets allows us to custom tailor them to individual needs/likes; ie nothing w/ mushrooms in the daughter's buckets. I also think they're more suited to offsite caches/grab n go situations and they're easy to slip extra 'necessaries" into. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
I have considered MAKING UP some buckets, but not until after I have finished filling up my canned meat cupboard. Because I have rice and butter stored in the freezer, I simply do not need more storage yet.

The reason I would want to make up my own buckets is because the food would taste better. I am just not into freeze-dried mixes. I like a couple of the Bear Creek dry soup mixes, but mostly I prefer food from the grocery store.

Into that bucket I think that I would put in packets of rice, a couple of Bear Creek soup mixes, a packet of dried fruit (raisins or apricots), some canned meat such as tuna, small cans of tomato paste, Packets of oatmeal, some cream-of soup, a small jar of peanut butter, possibly a spare can opener, and I have not decided what else.

I think that I would only try to go for 2 weeks from a bucket: I don't think that I could fit a months worth of calories in!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts