Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else noticed that their are a ton of Emergency Alert System tests lately on the television? I used to see them every now and then late at night because I work crazy hours. Lately, I am seeing them at all times of the day and much much more than normal. It always says that it is a required monthly or weekly test. Monthly or weekly tests aren't supposed to be showing up all of the time. I am starting to wonder if this is some type of preparedness on the part of "Civil Authorities". Anybody else out there noticing this? If so, please post your general location and your thoughts. I am in Olympia, Washington. I am curious if this is happening in other places of the country...

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
Its the VW Beetle Effect. Once you notice or start looking...There everywhere.

I am with you though. I remember them being the first Wednesday of every month now I see them all the time.

Practice, practice, practice.

·
Banned
435 Posts

I am with you though. I remember them being the first Wednesday of every month now I see them all the time.

yours is probably going to be one of the few intelligent responses...the rest "tin hat"

·
TechGeekInNature
365 Posts
Part of the increase in testing, is the fact that they now have to test all the new systems they are putting in thanks to the changeover from analog to digital. They have to make sure that the systems that still use analog repeaters, can down convert what ever the local news station they hook into will be transmitting.

That or....

They don't want us to believe there is really an issue when it happens, so they keep playing it so when we really hear it, we think it's just another test.

*shrugs*

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is so Freaking weird.

I am here in Western Washington and no less then an hour ago (7:30 PM PST) one came on comcast. I asked my wife what she thought and she said that she saw another one 2 nights ago. Just odd that I see a post about it now. Only time will tell...

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
I see them all the time on cox cable, but only at about 2am. I say all the time, but really I think they run a test once a month, maybe twice.

·
Just fed up.
969 Posts
They got rid of our air raid/alert system in the 90's, so I feel quite lucky. (Unless there's a coup in Russia & they nuke us, that is).
I used to work at a US airbase & they were always testing the alarms, so I just think that your lot are a little bit more paranoid than our lot.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
As a kid growing up you could set your watch to the air raid siren at McClellan AFB. Third Friday of the month at noon.

I think they are getting us used to them. Soon they will be like the car alarm nobody pays attention to.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts

It's referred to as "oversight bias".
I haven't notice any increase in emergency alerts here.

·
Unable to read or comprehend rules.
1,318 Posts
I saw a comedian a while back that said the system is useless. His case in point was 9/11. He said, "if there was ever a time in the last 30 years to use that damn system, it was that day... and it wasn't used." I was taken aback when he said that. It was true, I watched tv all day that day, and never heard one beep or blank screen with fuzzy audio. Funny, right? The one national emergency we have, and no emergency broadcast.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Personally, I don't see any reason not to have more drills. Do you realize how long it'll take the average American citizen to pull his head out of the sand, and come to their common senses, that the world has changed and Uncle Sammy is not always going to be around to bail ya'll out? Everytime a siren does sound, people tend to completely ignore all warning signs. I've seen it time and time again, and I work in the emergency field, so see this every day.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,446 Posts
I saw a comedian a while back that said the system is useless. His case in point was 9/11. He said, "if there was ever a time in the last 30 years to use that damn system, it was that day... and it wasn't used." I was taken aback when he said that. It was true, I watched tv all day that day, and never heard one beep or blank screen with fuzzy audio. Funny, right? The one national emergency we have, and no emergency broadcast.
It wasn't a national emergency, it was a local one. And it may have been used locally, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ive seen a few more on Tv lately but... I only get one radio station where I live and they have had alot of tests in the last few months. who knows, maybe they get bored and use it for a filler in spot they dont have a commercial. LOL

·
Born to prep
3,657 Posts
Until this thread I had not realized that I have not seen one in the last two months or so. But let a rain drop fall and the talking heads yak about it for hours on end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally, I don't see any reason not to have more drills. Do you realize how long it'll take the average American citizen to pull his head out of the sand, and come to their common senses, that the world has changed and Uncle Sammy is not always going to be around to bail ya'll out? Everytime a siren does sound, people tend to completely ignore all warning signs. I've seen it time and time again, and I work in the emergency field, so see this every day.
I completely agree with this statement, particularly the bolded section. I worked security for quite a while at a large refinery in Texas. To Be honest the worst offenders when it came to ignoring warning signs were in fact most of the security personnel. Use of the EAS is a tricky thing, if it is under used people don't know how to react, and if it is over used it becomes something to ignore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
seen one last week, maybe their doing more tests since janet napolitano come out last week saying that we are at the highest level for terrorism since 9/11. she went on to say about possible nuclear attacks. she used LA. as an example. said the blast would spread over a 100 mile radius & that fall out would last 12 to 24 hours. that people should try to get under ground, but if not get in a building. i don't think any of that would help LA.

·
I look good in tin foil
428 Posts
I am in Central Florida. We have been having them once or twice a week for months.... at about 5am. I do know Orlando had a massive emergency response practice run a few weeks ago. That was sort of a "first" that I am aware of.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts