Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Waddy
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario: Electricity goes out and you have a freezer full of expensive meat. Obvious choice would be a generator, but that takes fuel, which in an extended crisis could get problematic in a hurry. I don't think turning the entire freezer full of meat into jerky is a very good answer, and canning it all would take a very long time, though doable if necessary. Has anyone thought of any better alternatives?

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
My Honda generator gets about 11.5 hours on 1.1 gallon tank of gas. You only have to run the freezer periodically to keep it cold so I can go a way long time on gennie. I just went through almost two weeks of no electricity with the hurricane and did not lose a thing.
Alternatives include smoking and curing, dehydrating, salting. I keep a large store of non iodized salt for that contingency. As for the canning, don't wait for the emergency. Make canning a part of your food storage now so you are less dependent on the freezer.
No matter which method you choose, it's all much more time consuming than throwing the pork chops in the freezer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on the length of time you're out of power. If it is just a day or two, everything will be fine if you left the freezer closed and kept some frozen jugs of ice in there. If SHTF forget about it, you're probably going to lose it. Instead I think it would be appropriate to have MRE or freeze dried stuffs to replace it until you can start engaging in hunting farming or borrowing.

One really awesome tip I read though, was that if you know S is about to HTF, put all of the food in your freezer in plastic bags, then put a bowl of ice cubes on top. If you have to bug out, when you get back if you still have ice cubes, meat is good. Flat ice or water, just grab the bags and pull it out. No biological warfare in your house.

·
Banned
647 Posts
One really awesome tip I read though, was that if you know S is about to HTF, put all of the food in your freezer in plastic bags, then put a bowl of ice cubes on top. If you have to bug out, when you get back if you still have ice cubes, meat is good. Flat ice or water, just grab the bags and pull it out. No biological warfare in your house.

Back in the day, when my freezer was in the garage, I did this routinely. I kept my frozen food in bags and always had an ice tray in there. I worried all the time because we were on the end of the power line and lost power several times during the year. I remember a couple times in a power failure wrapping pink home insulation around the outside of the freezer (anything to hold the cold in) and then a tarp around that, and then praying. It worked great, but I sure was glad when I got my stand-by genny.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
My freezer isn't always loaded to capacity so I fill bottles with water to fill the empty spaces. If electricity goes out I have a generator. We keep our two tank truck filled with gas and have other gas containers filled at all times.

I'm thinking you're talking about a point where we might not have utilities for an extended period of time and perhaps no gas for the generator. In my case the freezer would act like a large ice chest with the frozen water. But no matter what, the food in there is only going to last so long. I'd try to can what I could, make jerky and smoke what I could and cook what I had to. The freezer is more of a convenience for me, rather than what I rely on to store food.

·
I travel light
2,032 Posts
This is a wonderful thread

Anyone out there has information about some suited solar panels for powering up a freezer? We have plenty of solar power in the tropics. Fuel is dirty cheap here, but a suited tank (about 5.000 lits minimum for peace of mind) is a major expense...as the generator itself.

·
Waddy
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you said, I'm talking about an extended situation. A full or fairly full freezer will keep for a long time, especially the chest type, as long as they are not opened frequently. In this situation, I would only open it to quickly get several days worth of food out. This would then go into coolers, or any type of good insulation available. Then it would be pulled from the smaller container as needed, realizing that by the end of the time, it will all be thawed, hopefully just as you reach the end of it. This technique will buy you a lot of time for canning, drying, corning, etc. It's not as hard as it seems, but you will probably lose some trying to get the amount regulated, but that is preferable to losing the whole thing. Also, as has been suggested, if it thaws out before you are quite ready for it, cooking it will extend the safe and edible time. I lived without electricity all summer long for about 35 years, and our ancestors did it as a matter of course. I can tell you from experience that a steady diet of canned, cured, corned, dried, etc. meat makes a person really happy to see some fresh, bloody meat!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Generator and eat a whole lot of meat it's better stored on you then in the freezer. Not to mention if it's a SHTF and not the end of the world you could have a nice BBQ with the nieghbours and get it gone before it goes bad. Make sure you tell the neighbours when it's all gone and don't let on your neighbours know about your other preps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are propane operated frezzers on the market. Some use as little as 1.5 gallons of LP per week. There are also freezer desinged for solar 12 and 24 volt dc. Most of these are pretty expensive. There is a way to get around it however. Old campers and rvs are usually equiped with either a dc or propane frigde freezer combo. Some also have dc water pumps, compact propane stoves, and propane lighting. There are also large antique propane freezers. With some searching they could be found at a low price. Area permitting of course, how about some farm aminals in the back yard.

·
I travel light
2,032 Posts
Anyone there has listened or used (better) about those old fuel oil freezers?. Perhaps in the future could be useful to adapt one of these to work with a small wood gas flame, I understand that the freezing gas are closed circuits in these type of freezers, and no need to have the compression system "canned" like electric ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts