Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
THE Librarian
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is getting up in years. A standard gas chain saw is problematic with him being able to start them. He has a Craftsman gas and a Stihl gas, but...

He has an electric 'alligator' saw, which he loves, for limbing, and for up to four inch. Such holds the work, so he does not have to 'one hand'.

He has had two electric chainsaws, but burned them up, as sawdust got into the windings.

What he really needs is an electric start gas chainsaw.

I know John Deere made them. But now I can not find reference to any available.

Does anyone know of any manufacturer of such today?

If not, then we will probably go with the Worx wg303.1, an light electric, but I would prefer to see something more robust and less tethered.

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
I posted a solution yesterday, but it ain't here!?!?

Acquaintance lost an arm in hunting accident. Continued cutting trees for firewood after accident. He took a goodwill bicycle with him. At worksite, he would invert bike, and "wind it up" getting wheel whizzing, then press one (of several sizes) chainsaw against the wheel. He had cut out a window in the cover/case, exposing the flywheel of each saw. EZ start, even on cold/hard-to-start saws!

·
Closed for the Season.
15,785 Posts
Stick with the electric and watch him that he is still safe. My neighbor stopped by a couple nights back and showed me a picture of another guy he knew that had just opened up his leg at the knee while doing some brushing with a chain saw. The guy is fortunate that it did not destroy his leg and only require a lot of stitches and many days of recovery to come. It came darn close to cutting the kneecap off.

I just was out this morning dropping a 20 inch diameter pine for cutting up on my little sawmill. My old Homelite, with the 24 inch bar, got pretty hard,heavy to hold fairly quick and I am 57. I can easily foresee a time in the not too distant future that I am going to have to quit cutting for my own safety. I do like my smaller Mac, with a 16 inch bar and vibration dampening, for firewood cutting but even it wears me out fairly quickly.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
This may not help,as I haven't seen it lately.
Last year Home Depot had a whole series of gas power yard tools that all took a universal rechargable elec. starter.
Just 1 starter that worked on all of them.

·
THE Librarian
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HandLoad.
Now, that is a thought! I do not remember if his gas saws have flywheels or just sprockets. I will find out.
If just a sprocket, I am wondering if you can drive the sprocket with a cordless drill. And which direction, with the cord pull, or against? 'recoil start' may have meaning. No, that does not make sense, as counter pull direction would back off the sprocket nut.
Would a cordless drill have the needed RPM? Hmm...
I will find out.
Thanks again.

MattB4.
We watch him, as we are quite concerned with his safety, and his 'onery-ness'. No, we do not want to curtail him, he has some pride.
In your friends' friend case, look at the alligator saws. That 'clamp' of the jaws, holding the work, with both hands on the saw, much safer. But I have not seen a gas version.
Wait, that is not true, I have seen a chain driven 'Cyprus' saw (where they cut off cyprus knees, underwater, to clear boat paths), but it reminded me of a unwieldy 'pole' saw. Pole saws are more dangerous in my minds eye.
I did get a chuckle in my searches. Remington made a battery pack type 'hook' saw. Think of Captain Hook from the Peter Pan stories. That is right, a hook, on the end of a cowled mitt / hand guard, it is worn like a glove/gautlet. The finger triggered mini chain saw is tucked inside the edge of the hook. Talk about 'talk like a Pirate day'! But they are no longer available.
As to age curtailing our lives, well, I think it is good that we get our noses rubbed in it from time to time. That ties into necessity as the mother of invention. Perhaps 'experience' is simply coping with age? Ah well.

Cook.
Your username tie-in to the paragraph about that hook saw is a bit tasty. I will check with Home Depot. Thank you for that tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.