Survivalist Forum banner

Electric powered cars

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  contact00 
#1 ·
I know how a lot of people are buying electric cars because of the gas shortage, but isn't that a bad idea in case of SHTF? For example, if the power goes out for a long time, will you not be able to drive? While gas can run out, it can be stored, bought, or siphoned from other cars.

Discuss.

#2 ·
I would tend to agree. I have thought seriously about buying an electric car or converting a good used car. However in a situation that the power is out, you cannot easily use it or store power for it.

I currently have 3 cars, a small commuter car, a station wagon, and an Excursion Diesel. If I get an electric car, it will only replace my commuter car which I would not worry about losing in a situation like that stated.

I also have thought about waiting for the Volt to come out and buying that, but even if I have the money, I don't know if that is the best place to spend it.

I have as a side figured out that gas mileage is not everything, even with "expensive gas". The money you will save by better mileage will not always outweigh what you pay for the car. I like my three eight year old cars, they are very economical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.