Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm in need of a chainsaw for around the farm and I'm strongly considering picking up an electric one. Problem is I don't know anyone with any real world experience with them. There's a lot about them that I like in theory, but in practice do they still get the job done?

I'd typically being using it 2-6 times a year, felling the occasional dead softwood (most less than 6 inch), processing some firewood from time to time, and typical around the farm type chores.

Let me know what your experiences have been like since I don't have anyone else to ask and my only experiences are with gas.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I borrowed a buddy's of mine electric saw, it was a poulan(sp). It was a great saw as he had the extending stick that would telescope. I trimmed trees around my place, about twleve 16 ft. trailer loads about 8 ft. tall. I was impressed with its ability, seeing how the motor operated stick saw goes for $600 and no more than I need one this filled my needs very well. Think he told me is was less than $200 bucks. I recommend the Poulan, thinking about buying one for me, but we share tools so my buddy having one is like me having one too. He;s got my cutting torch, scaffolds and concrete mixer as we speak!!

·
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0
3,660 Posts
I would rent one first to see if it actually has the testicles... I use gas up here
because power is iffy, and firing up a generator kind of defeats the purpose. A
good gas chainsaw pays for itself quickly, even for little jobs... Husky or Stihl
are popular up here; Poulan is fairly crappy as far as replacement parts go.
I prefer Husky... by the time you look at spare chains and bars and chain oil,
you will see the parts work out to be the same price.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
My comments are regarding only corded models, I have never had any experience with rechargable ones.

Over the past 30 years I have owned 3 electrics, a sears, a McColoch and currently a remington 14 inch. Living where I only needed to use it where I could extend a cord that is about the only way I would go for anything less than 12 inch diameter stuff. I never had any problems but I kept the chains sharp all the time. The sears leaked bar oil when it just set around. My two previous saws met their demise when I loaned them out to people who thought that the harder you pressed on the saw overcome sharpening the chain, They were just shinny blue when I got the remains back.

I currently cut a lot of wood, some cottonwood, mostly ash and some black walnut and black locust. I have several gas saws that do the felling and big blocking, but for limbs less than 8 inches I cut them to managable size and haul them to the house where I use the electric to finish blocking. I have been using the Remmington for over 10 years now, don't know how many chains I have went through. It is getting old now and I am thinking that the sprocket and bar are going to need replaced, but instead I might buy a new larger remington.

Always a good idea to have at least three chains to rotate through as the sprockets will wear with a chain if you use it continueally, then when you but a new chain on the two will try to eat each other.

If portability isn't a problem, electric is the way I would go. I would even say a generater and an electric would be more desirable than a gas if I wasn't doing a lot of cutting and it wasn't very large stuff.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,785 Posts
I have a plugin electric chainsaw that has a 12 inch bar. It is adequate for light cutting jobs. It is not really fast cutting enough for a lot of firewood. The biggest issue about it is the cheap oiler that it has and the poor bar tensioner device. That and pulling a electrical cord around.

There are some higher quality electric chainsaws.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I bought a sthil that runs of a rechargeable battery and love it. It will cut though any hard wood log that the bar is long enough to go through as long as you keep it sharp. Best thing about it is you don't have to start it or keep it going. This is especially useful when working by yourself as you can say cut a limb of a tree, put the saw down and drag the branch away without having to worry about the saw stalling. Quiet to use, hardly need ear protection.

Only disadvantages I can see compared to a small regular chain saw is the battery flattens relatively quickly like in 30min or so of continuious use, this could be solved to a certain extent by having a spare battery.

Being so quiet you tend to be a little complacent about it as well and I got to keep on telling myself that this is a potentially dangerous power tool. I got a couple of young boys that like the idear of chainsaws so I got to make sure that I put the chainbreak on as well as remove the battery cause the kids could always pull the trigger and start it up.

All in all a good bit of gear that I would recommend.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I've used an electric saw (Craftsman) for years in concert with Gas saws (ditto the Stihl or Husky). For small work near the house they are great, they are also quiet.
What I'd really like to know is has anyone here used a good RECHARGEABLE electric. I've heard only very mixed reviews on them.
The reason I ask is that the DW wants one for herself for xmas and The decent ones are quite expensive so I want to be sure they are worth the cost /effort.

·
patriarch
4,946 Posts
I used an electric chainsaw back in the 70's. It was the best thing since the invention of sliced bread. Lets just say I cut several cords, before I learned to keep the cord away from the chain. If you want to drag a generator around with you, guess they would be nice.

·
Crazy
5,586 Posts
come down to what you want to pay. I high dollar gas saw is worth its wait. But if your going to cheap out thing gas isnt the way to go because of the aggravation of try to keep it running. I have a electric pole saw and it works well enough.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've used an electric saw (Craftsman) for years in concert with Gas saws (ditto the Stihl or Husky). For small work near the house they are great, they are also quiet.
What I'd really like to know is has anyone here used a good RECHARGEABLE electric. I've heard only very mixed reviews on them.
The reason I ask is that the DW wants one for herself for xmas and The decent ones are quite expensive so I want to be sure they are worth the cost /effort.
You want be disappointed with one, the Stihl use the same battery in a veriaty of other tool such as line trimmers hedge cutters and evan a push lawn mower. The battery charges really quick as well, never really timed it butI would guess about 1 hour. I would imagine any of the better named brands would be good to.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,116 Posts
I have gone through 4 or 5 electric chainsaws.

You need to keep up on sharpening the chain. Chains stretch a lot and some models the tightening mechanism is all plastic. I have seen bars that were really cheaply made and seemed to warp.

The oiling grooves did not seem to hold/flow lube well. Either the lube refused to flow, or else it flowed out immediately. I think that a separate metal coffee can 3/4 filled with dirty motor oil, would work just as well, dip the tip of the bar in the oil every minute and you should be good.

I spent the big bucks and I got a top-of-the-line chainsaw. It needs to complete strip-down and tune-up every season. Before it will even start.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I have an electric Mikita with a 16" blade. It is plenty powerful.
It works great. You plug it in and pull the trigger and it works every time.
I do not get along with small gas engines. They seem to never work whin I need to use them. They just need too much service.
I use heavy drop cords because you get voltage drop with long light weight drop cords.
I have a gas generator that I load up for off site work.
The generator needs more runtime than it gets as a back up power for the house so some use with the saw keeps it running.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
I have an 8 inch battery chainsaw, and it does very well on trees under 6 inches! And I do not have to pull the cord to start it, it just STARTS!

It takes hours to charge the battery, which is a drawback. It also takes me more than one charge to cut a small tree into firewood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an electric with a 14" blade. it does the trick for me as i have a bum shoulder and can't handle the weight of the gas. it takes a little longer to cut the hardwoods but it does the job! we also have a little battery operated one that is used to "train" the kids or just take out while hiking to clear trip hazards on the path :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts