Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 Rhodies are in full production, and eventhough I have sold a few dozen, gave some away, cook with them every chance I get, I still have 17 dozen in the fridge right now.
I plan to make a 5 gal bucket full of dried egg noodles this fall, and store them in the freezer, but that is only going to take about 4 dozen eggs.
I have a qt of pickled eggs and will make a couple of more.

What I'm looking for is recipes that are egg intensive,......cream puff pastry comes to mind:D:,.....any others?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Crack an egg into an Ice cube tray... (one egg per hole) once they are frozen dump them into a ziplock bag and stick into the deep freze.

Save them for when they stop laying...

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
My 8 Rhodies are in full production, and eventhough I have sold a few dozen, gave some away, cook with them every chance I get, I still have 17 dozen in the fridge right now.
I plan to make a 5 gal bucket full of dried egg noodles this fall, and store them in the freezer, but that is only going to take about 4 dozen eggs.

What I'm looking for is recipes that are egg intensive,......cream puff pastry comes to mind:D:,.....any others?
I'd love your pickled egg recipe if you are willing to share!:)

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love your pickled egg recipe if you are willing to share!:)
I used to tinker around with all types of pickled egg recipes, but I sticking with the old bar type ones now. Plain and simple.
Per Quart:
3/4cup vinegar
2 tsps canning salt
enough water added to cover eggs
boil, cool, pour over eggs

Reactions: Maurepas

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Brown some chicken or pork in sesame oil.
Season with a little ginger, garlic, thai chili peppers, a little soy sauce.
Then throw in some onions and bell peppers or enlish peas.
If there is a lot of liquid in the bottom of wok, dump it out or let it cook until it is almost gone.
Then mix in some rice. Use day old rice if you can. You want it to be a little on the dry side before you mix it in or you will just have mush.
Take your eggs and scramble them separately. If you add them raw to the above mix they just spread out and go away. So scramble and break them up then add them to the above mix.

Many variations on this but bottom line is, scramble them and add them to stir fry.:thumb:

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Breakfast burrito
2 eggs
1 large flour tortilla
2 tablespoons salsa
3tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
Beat eggs and pour into a skillet over medium heat. Fold in salsa and cheese. Place in warmed tortilla and top with salsa and sour cream.

You can also add bacon or sausage to this.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
This was sent to me by a friend. Have not tried yet but any kind of quiche uses lots of eggs.

7 Layer Italian Quiche

Ingredients:
1 9” refrigerated pie crust
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup green peppers, chopped
¼ cup red peppers, chopped
¼ cup red onions, chopped
6 strips bacon
1 cup mozzarella cheese, blended with pesto, shredded
¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
6 eggs
¾ cup milk, skim or 2%
¼ cup Italian parsley, minced
1 cup croutons, crushed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Follow package directions to lay the pie crust in a glass 9” pie pan. In a small skillet, saute green pepper, red pepper, and red onion in olive oil until tender and onion is slightly translucent. Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, brown and crumble bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels.

Start assembling the layers by placing the crumbled bacon on the unbaked pie shell. Layer the shredded mozzarella cheese over the bacon followed by the sauteed vegetables. Layer the sun-dried tomatoes over the vegetables. In a medium size bowl, crack the six eggs and whisk in the milk until combined thoroughly. Pour over the tomatoes and vegetables. Place the Italian parsley over the egg mixture. Sprinkle the croutons over the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serves 6.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quiche!,.....Now that's what I'm looking for!
Whoever said Real Men don't eat quiche didn't know what they were talking about. Whenever you can combine bacon, eggs, cheese and the other goodies in a pie, how sissy could that be!:D:
I will try that recipe.:thumb:

BTW, on the breakfast burritos, they are a staple with me. One thing extra I do add to them is french fries.:)

Nomad, I will try freezing a few dozen also.:thumb:

·
Registered
172 Posts
RC----skip the french fries and go with frozen hash browns ... just bake 'em then add to the sausage & eggs in the skillet....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Around here we like deviled eggs and we'll blow threw a couple dozen like that but we have 40 hens and even when there Moulting we have to sell eggs. So if i were you I'd get some customers and put those cluckers on a payin basis.
Thats my kids spending money business and it makes them about 15 to 20 a week with out much trouble not getting rich but buyin the feed and learn about business as well as makin some pin money.... They get 2 a dozen just regular as ever

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

How much do the Rhodies cost and how many would you need for 5 people to eat eggs daily while they are laying?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This was sent to me by a friend. Have not tried yet but any kind of quiche uses lots of eggs.

7 Layer Italian Quiche

Ingredients:
1 9” refrigerated pie crust
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup green peppers, chopped
¼ cup red peppers, chopped
¼ cup red onions, chopped
6 strips bacon
1 cup mozzarella cheese, blended with pesto, shredded
¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
6 eggs
¾ cup milk, skim or 2%
¼ cup Italian parsley, minced
1 cup croutons, crushed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Follow package directions to lay the pie crust in a glass 9” pie pan. In a small skillet, saute green pepper, red pepper, and red onion in olive oil until tender and onion is slightly translucent. Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, brown and crumble bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels.

Start assembling the layers by placing the crumbled bacon on the unbaked pie shell. Layer the shredded mozzarella cheese over the bacon followed by the sauteed vegetables. Layer the sun-dried tomatoes over the vegetables. In a medium size bowl, crack the six eggs and whisk in the milk until combined thoroughly. Pour over the tomatoes and vegetables. Place the Italian parsley over the egg mixture. Sprinkle the croutons over the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serves 6.
Yummy!! I love quiche. Don't forget omelets and egg sandwhiches.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much do the Rhodies cost and how many would you need for 5 people to eat eggs daily while they are laying?
I call them Rhodies, but they are actually Production Reds, which are a cross breed of Rhode Island Reds x Hampshires. They are the best of the brown egg layers.
To calculate how many to have:
1 hen will lay 1 egg/day, that's about 2.5 dozen eggs/bird/month.
With my 8 I'm getting 20 dozen eggs a month.
They cost $2.30/bird at the local feed store.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used to tinker around with all types of pickled egg recipes, but I sticking with the old bar type ones now. Plain and simple.
Per Quart:
3/4cup vinegar
2 tsps canning salt
enough water added to cover eggs
boil, cool, pour over eggs
Questions:

* You are starting with boiled/shelled eggs, right?
* Boiling. Bring to boil or boil for how long?

Any guess as to how long they remain edible?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Questions:

* You are starting with boiled/shelled eggs, right?
* Boiling. Bring to boil or boil for how long?

Any guess as to how long they remain edible?
Yes, boiled eggs.
I made another qt of them today. The night before, I took out 2 dozen of the oldest eggs out of the fridge to let them get to room temp. Put in a pot and covered them with water. Brought slowly to a slow boil and shut off the heat to finish cooking, about 10 minutes standing time.
Then I cooled them off throughly with cold water,....they peel real easy then.

I boil the water, vinegar and salt for a few minutes to sterilize. Then let it cool a bit before pouring over the peeled eggs.

I have kept them in the fridge for over a couple of months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts