Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What types of eggs can you eat or would even want to? I know the easy answers, chickens, ducks, and turkeys but what about the extremes like Robins, Crows etc.. What about reptile eggs? How do you identify them, find them etc.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Reptile eggs I'm not sure about, but I see no reason why you couldn't eat them if cooked properly. I'm not a herpatologist but I'm guessing that unlike birds, reptiles don't lay eggs without mating so the eggs would be fertile, and you would probably have to discover them within 1 or 2 days of being laid or they would be partially developed.

I don't' know of any bird eggs that are dangerous to eat, even wild birds, when cooked properly of course. I've eaten quail, chicken, duck, turkey eggs and they're all quite tasty! They pretty much all taste the same with the exception of duck eggs. Can't really describe it, but they have a very different taste & texture from chicken eggs. Not better or worse really, just different.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Goose eggs are really good also. My wife raised geese for a while and we had goose egg omlets quite often. Tasted like chicken eggs to me but a slightly tougher consistancy. One egg was a full meal! BCB

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
My son brought me in some robbin eggs the other day, he wanted to incubate and raise them, but I pointed out that they were already cold.

He then asked me to cook them, so I cracked them open and placed them in a bowl and popped them in the microwave............. I learned that you do not cook robin eggs in the microwave......... They sounded like firecrackers when they exploded and there was nothing left in the bowl but a light residue...

Somehow, the wife did not find it as fascinating as John and I did......

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Women have no sense of adventure or humour.
We do too! My 3yo ( a twin) was served a hard boiled egg for dinner recently. I had not sliced it so it sort of wobbled around on the high chair tray. With a look of wonder.....he LOUDLY announces......" He hatching, Momma! He HATCHING!" Umm....no son, please eat it. Fat chance. So now, since we have hens that lay green eggs, he has taken to collecting black walnuts in the shell ( rind?) and placing them in a *nest* the 3 boys made. On and off, the boys will sit on the *nest* and tell me......"HE HATCHING, Momma! He HATCHING!".

1) It keeps one boy at a time, for a few minutes..........sitting still.
2) Shows that the boys have a hint where food and critters come from.
3) Amuses the heck out of me because they use their imagination ( and it IS funny). Think Horton!

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Liebrecht

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
What types of eggs can you eat or would even want to? I know the easy answers, chickens, ducks, and turkeys but what about the extremes like Robins, Crows etc.. What about reptile eggs? How do you identify them, find them etc.. Any ideas?
Any kind of egg is edible, even partially developed ones; now whether you could hold it down or not - that I couldn't answer. Any bird egg is much the same as far as structure, the only controlling factor would be their diet, that will cause them to have different "tastes". Reptile eggs are not significantly different from bird eggs, remember: birds are the remnants of the dinosaurs, some of them were cold-blooded, and some were warm-blooded,and they were the basis of all the species that exist today.

·
Never kiss an ugly bear
122 Posts
Used to live next door to someone who raised Emus. One emu egg made enough scrambled eggs for breakfast to feed a family of five. Had to crack the egg shell with a hammer though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts