Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at their 2-month Grab n Go pack for $350.

Not much more expensive than canned food, compact, long shelf life, one-time buy (I'd stock up more but this would be a nice jumpstart)...any opinions?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They are a good place to buy from. I've never had a problem.

Nice avatar...:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@TackleBerry
Thanks, same to you :)

But how does eFoods compare to storing canned goods or basic ingredients as far as cost goes? I know it's more expensive, but is it a drastic difference?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The soups are slightly higher than other soups I've seen, but they are a more interesting variety. The entrees are cheaper than other veggie #10 can entrees I've come across so far:)

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
For short term emergencies and for your initial storage purchases, I suggest canned foods. Canned foods include their own moisture and water that may save your life. Dehydrated foods require water and you may not be able to get it. For longer term storage, dry foods or dehydrated foods are better.

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@Levant
Yeah very funny. It's not that simple, there are a lot of different methods of storage and a lot of options within canned food, dehydrated food, bulk grains, etc.
I can compare a few methods by math, of course, but I'm looking for someone with more experience who can say what method is generally cheaper/more convenient/whatever other criteria there are.

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
But on a more serious note.

I have canned dry foods that I bought canned. I have Mylar packed dry foods that I have packed myself, including vegetables that I bought frozen and dried myself. And I have canned moist foods such as vegetables, meats, beans, etc.

The least expensive - but greatest space requirements - is definitely just buy what you eat. Get a few extra cans each week.

For longer term storage, such as grains, pastas, and dried vegetables, etc., I suggest buying a sealer suitable for Mylar bags and vacuum packing your own with oxygen absorbers. It is about 1/4 the cost of buying these things in cans. And you don't have to pay shipping if you buy your grains and pasta locally.

The most expensive method is to buy and have shipped commercially packaged dry or dehydrated foods. All other things being equal, you might get more flavor - for better or worse, depending on your opinion - with the commercially packaged things because some of those cans include some spices. Then again, spices are pretty easy to buy and store locally.

If you've ever eaten a dehydrated and reconstituted camping or trail meal, you will know whether you like the commercially prepared stuff. To me, that stuff is just like the plain unflavored stuff in that both are edible if you have to but until then, I'll stick with my every day canned foods just like I would normally buy.

Of all the options, my choice and suggestion is packing your own in Mylar bags and sealing them yourself.

Besides, in post 4 you asked only about prices. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts