Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pittsburgh Prepper
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being in Pennsylvania, we deal with our fair share of winter. Having a Bug Out Bag that is properly equipped for all four seasons can be a challenge. Once your components are assembled you often end up with a pack that is too heavy/bulky. I know I would certainly like to drop some pounds from my pack weight.

Are there any specific tools/supplies that you have found to perform well while also being lightweight and compact? Affordability is a plus as well.

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
Living in Wyoming, I adjust the gear for the season. I change things out twice a year so that I have what I need in different seasons. So for summer I remove the winter boots and insulated pants, and add other gear.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Living in Wyoming, I adjust the gear for the season. I change things out twice a year so that I have what I need in different seasons. So for summer I remove the winter boots and insulated pants, and add other gear.
I was going to say the same thing. I live in MI. Just adjust the BOB twice a year :)

·
Living the dream:-)
1,620 Posts
I live in PA and I also update my bag 2x a year. Winters I also add more gear to my vehicles. Cold weather gear and the usual add ons

·
One with everything...
1,808 Posts
I have 2 GHB's that I switch depending on the current weather/weather forecast - since it can be warm and 70 one week and snowing and 15 degrees the next, 2 bags makes swapping out really fast and a lot easier than repacking everything.

I also keep cold weather gear in the car, less impact to carry that way. And if I need to carry, say, my arctic parka (but it's too warm to wear) I'll roll it and tie it to the pack.

Other than seasonal variances, such as more layers VS lighter clothes, higher calorie food packs, etc. they're pretty much identical. Keeps it simple that way.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,715 Posts
I don't have a bob, I have a ghb--while similarly is high, a couple things may make a difference. In the Colorado Rockies I have a solid 4 seasons. The main bag stays the same, but by mid to late fall I add the under armor, gloves, hat, extra socks (besides the ones already there), and a few more calories. My truck has a 4-season bag in the back fall through spring anyway, and that would just lash on. Snowshoes are under the back seat if there is snow on the ground--a 12-20 mile trek home through deep snow is daunting without them. Otherwise not much needs to change.

The key is consider where you are going and what conditions you're likely to face. Then adjust accordingly. Most of us with seasonal extremes have to adjust between them, there is no 4-season solution.

·
EdgeCrusher
932 Posts
The main contents stay the same of the GHBs (my and my wife's car) through the year. For Fall/Winter, the addition of hand warmers and extra calories are pretty much the only changes that are made. I'll add a blanket that'll just sit next to the bag, just in case it's needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts