Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So, i have problems when it comes to buying stuff. Especially when it's more than a couple of bucks. I'm looking for a new bag that can handle cold weather when we're camping. It'll primarily be used in a base camp environment or a relatively easy hike in but, i'd still like the ability to pack it should the desire to cover some ground arise. My problem is that i obsess over the smallest details and end up not being able to make a decision. So, I'm hoping you guys could help me out. Which one of the three packs would you go with and why?

Kelty Cosmic 0
The North Face Elkhorn 0
Marmot Trestles 0

·
1,765 Posts
Go to REI, roll them out on the bench and lay in all three. I don't think they are all that much different. In my opinion the synthetic bags of that level are just as good as the bags you can get at Walmart. Perhaps the stitching is not as good and maybe the velcro won't last 20 years but they'll keep you equally warm. The high end stuff on the other hand is a very different story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get a horrible allergic reaction to down. So, synthetic is really my only option. I think? Unfortunately, we don't have an REI anywhere near us :( so that makes it tough to try them out. We've got a few backpacking shops around but, they're limited in selection. I liked the Marmot but, I just don't think I'd like the way the collar area wraps around. On non freezing nights, it would be nice to have my neck/head area more exposed for comfort. Maybe I'm making more out of this than I need to. All of their specs are practically the same. And the makers are all high quality (again, I think?) so, is it really just close my eyes and pick?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lmao i have a good friend just like you this kinda of stuff drives him nuts
don't get down you will get bumps
so go with the cheaper synthetic
and we are done:thumb:
You should have seen me picking out a tent.....not good. I was up to all hours of the night searching forums, reviews, articles. I think this is how those guys who do all the gear reviews start out. You can't pick just one so you get a bunch to "try" them out.

And, your solution doesn't help...all three choices are synthetic. :) (nevermind...i get it...the cheapest one, duh)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
im on the other end of this problem i go to the store for a tent i have one when i get home i should do more research last week i went to the store for a new pocket knife i looked at 3 or 4 then got a sweet kershaw folder

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't even get me started on knives. I've got on this kick with Busse knives. I don't think it's going to go away. Sometimes, these "obsessions" fade away after I've oversaturated my brain with info. I don't see it going away in this case. I'm hooked. They're expensive. And there are tons of models.

·
Respecter of Persons
162 Posts
Those 3 packs are fairly similar, so go with the Kelty Cosmic....its easier to say than the others. I do like your knives though...much harder to decide there.

Reactions: 1Man

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish it could be that easy. I guess i just need to keep telling myself it is. My wife has decided on the Marmot but I think I'm going to go with The North Face.........although.......i'm not sure which has the better shell. It's hard to tell based on the product descriptions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.