Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on an EDC for the last couple months for myself. Once I got it the way I wanted it I decided to build some up for my family. The kits are about 90% complete. I still need to add water purification, improved multi tool, big rubber bands, zip ties, fire starting tinder and a couple other odds and ends. Anyway, take a look at what I have so far and let me know if there is anything I left out.

For starters I added a single wipe to each

Next I added 30' of 50lb braided fishing line, 6 hooks, 6 sinkers, 2 safety pins, 2 sewing needles and small super glue

I then added P38 can opener, aspirin, storm proof matches, whistle and temporary pry bar.

I searched high and low and could not find a multi purpose tool to my liking. I am going to do a run of these. It will have have chisel, wire stripper, nail puller, standard/metric wrench, phillips/standard bit(not shown), detachable magnesium/fire steel , para cord cutter, 9mm compass, carbide, magnet and anything else I can manage to add to it. Here are a couple solid models...

The compass and magnesium/fire steel are removable. I am also making a LED insert and 4 sided screw driver insert. They are secured by o rings. I just need to come up with a nifty use for o rings.

Overall size is 1/2" x3" to fit in altoid tin

Next comes small swiss army knife, 8' of brass snare wire, peanut lighter, 14mm compass and small led with sticky back.

Added survival saw with large and small key ring.

In the lid I put a x4 magnifier, bandades, match striker, and earplugs.

Everything stuffed in and........done!

Well, not all the way. Now I just have to get them to get outside to try everything out.

I have been carrying this kit for several months now. It has definitely changed from when I first started carrying it. The basic idea is to have a kit that would allow a person to gather food, build a fire, build a shelter and obtain drinkable water. The second function is to have a kit that just makes day to day life a little easier. These items include meds, bandades, money(fam gets to provide their own), lights, small knife etc. I have limited it to an altoids size can so it can be carried on a person daily instead of being left in a car.

I am still waiting on rubber bands, water purification tablets and a couple other odds and ends. I included earplugs for two reasons. First, I am around firearms a whole lot as is my family, second they cut down the rattling of the tins contents.

Duct tape needs to be added. My current plan is to wrap it around something like a credit card and fasten it externally with rubber bands.

What am I forgetting????

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,225 Posts
It is an interesting kit--thank you for the pics, helps a lot in visualizing it.

This strikes me as a kit for being out in the wilderness primarily and of less value to someone who works and/or lives in an urban or even suburban environment. That said, what it lacks is two things, IMO: One is a non-lubricated condom as a potential water carrier, the other is some protection from the elements.

Obviously include a condom but I don't know how you get an 8' x 10' tarp in there. :)

That's what's odd about this to me--you have a ton of great stuff anyone would want on them if they were lost in the wilderness, but you don't have any protection from the elements nor ways to carry water.

And if this is designed to help me get home, well, to me it's almost exactly a size that...isn't the right size. If I'm out there long enough that I need to be thinking about food from fishing or snares, then I've got a kit that is lacking in some crucial things: water container, tarp, extra clothing, protection from the elements, the usual BOB items.

If I am not going to be out there long enough to need those things, then I won't need the fishing gear, snare wire, etc. And if I am...I lack other very crucial items.

So for me, it's an odd kit.

In order to have protection from the elements, you need a bigger kit, stored in a backpack in your car, in your desk at work, in a hiding place. And if I need that, then why would I carry this with me?

If I were to make an EDC kit for someone in a more urban environment, I'd include probably $2 or $3 in quarters, a few bills ($1, $5, $10), some pain meds, bandaids, an LED flashlight, maybe a few water purification tablets, a nonlubricated condom, things like that. I have a lighter or a few matches or both just on general principles, but I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing or snaring of game in most environments I might go through. There are lots of lists of things in kits like that out there, including on SB.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Looks like a good start, to me.

I think you hit the nail, on the head, when you said,
Now I just have to get them to get outside to try everything out.

That is about the only way you can see what is useful and what is just taking up space.

Good pics!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have been thinking about the water issue.

I believe i will try out a single latex glove for water. obviously it will pull double duty.

I think I have a way to include a couple arrowheads/harpoon and pan handle. a very small amount of water could be boiled in the pan. I will get some pics of this posted in the next couple days.

I may try to include steel wool for polishing the tin for makeshift mirror.

·
Healthy Skeptic
254 Posts
I've gotta agree with Goose. It's got a lot of fun little odds and ends, but it seems like a kit looking for a mission.

If I'm in a sitation where I need to fish or trap for food, I probably need shelter and weather protection, and water storage more than I need fishing line.

If I don't need shelter, then I don't need a wire saw or fishing tackle. What I probably need is $20 bucks for a ride home, or maybe some good walking shoes. Maybe a power bar for some calories.

It looks fun and all, but in terms of practicality, I just don't see a use for it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rather than the steel wool and polishing, I would get some aluminum tape and just tape to the outside or inside the lid.
I really like the size of this, and think i will work up one of my own with a more suburban slant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts