Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Sam's the other day and a Dallas paper salesperson was there selling the daily newspaper. He said that the paper's coupons would help on food bill. He said that this was important since the economy was going to get worse before getting better.

Since he offered me a terrific deal - $30 Sam's credit for buying the daily paper for 3 months for a $17 dollars price, I agreed to the deal (I also needed papers to pack my glass items since I'm in the process of moving).

Needless to say, after hearing his speech, I ended up buying more items than I planned to. I already knew the economy was going to get worse before getting better, but I was surprised to hear this salesperson say so, therefore, motivating me even more.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is pretty much what most of us are prepareing for. The economy is obviously not going to get any better with the "bail out". I personally have the mind that the bankers are taking us for a ride and most people suspect the same. i'm preparing for the worst, and if it doesn't happen I will be a very happy man. Food is definately where it's at, you may want to think about turning any retirement funds you have out of dollars and into something that you can hold in your hand.

Keep your ear to the ground, hard times are coming.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
The news must be soaking in.
PE Obama, love him or hate him, is going to have his (and congress also) hands full.
He keeps talking about huge public works projects, but the money to pay for them has to come from somewhere.

A. they simply print it which means the money you have/get has a lot less purchasing power.
B. He taxes the crap out of anyone really working, which means less to spend.
C. Both A & B which means what little money you have left is not really worth a lot.

That is just my simplistic take on the situation and I'm sure there is a lot more involved.

·
I have control issues
6,124 Posts
No surprise here about the economy getting worse. That's why I've been working on building the food stash (along with probably everyone else here on this forum.) While I can afford to, I'll just keep adding to the "stash". When I can no longer afford to, I'll eat out of the stash. Fortunately, I have a job that is pretty secure, so at least I don't have that worry.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's exacty what I've been hearing Ammo. They will just keep printing until the dollar looks akind to the yin in value. The old wheel barrel full of cash to buy a loaf of bread story. Hope not but it's a real posibility if we insits on being a world empire, keeping troops in more contries than any other in the world.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I work in the newspaper industry (sales side of the business) Newspapers are a traditional outlet for coupons (inserts in Sunday paper, etc). More and more folks are using looking for ways to cut their household expenses hence the 'sales pitch' for a subscription to take advantage of coupon savings everyday, not just from the Sunday paper.

Interest in using coupons has definitely spiked in the past few months. Local businesses often don't have the budget for the glossy multi-page inserts so they place ads in the paper with coupon offers just to get folks through the door. If after three months your subscription hasn't paid off in coupon savings, you can just drop your subscription but you may find some fantastic deals from your local businesses struggling to survive right now. Enjoy. :)

Reactions: joes
1 - 6 of 6 Posts