Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have caught a bunch of ***** in my salad days but never tried one as table fare. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, KF71

·
Registered
84 Posts
***** are fantastic cuisine! Its best to catch them and feed them sweet potatoes for a couple weeks before you cook them. This helps reduce the gamey taste.

Here's a recipe to try for starters:
---------------------------------

Barbecued Raccoon 1 Raccoon
1 bn Celery
3 cl Garlic; chopped
2 lg Red onions; quartered
1 lg Apple; quartered
3 Hot red peppers
1 c Vinegar
3 tb Salt

BE SURE LYMPH GLANDS OF RACCOON ARE REMOVED!!! Have someone who is experienced remove the glands as well as the skin. Pull celery apart and wash. Place all ingredients in pot with enough water to cover raccoon. Bring to slow boil and cook until tender or until fork goes in easily, about 1-2 hours depending upon size of raccoon. Remove meat from pot, cut off front and back legs; cut remainder into four pieces. Place on rack, brush with your favorite barbecue sauce. Place in 400 deg. oven; turn and baste frequently with barbecue sauce until a golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serves 6

---------------------------------------

Good luck and Good Eating

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I soak mine in vinegar and water for 8 hours to remove the gamey taste. Not sure what it would taste like with glands in as I was taught to remove them when I was a kid. I heard it is very rank tasting.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Skin and clean the ****. Boil until tender. Let cool. Remove all the meat from the bones. Place the deboned meat in a baking dish with your favorite BBQ sauce. I also like to chop some onion and add it to the meat. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour covered. **** to me is one of the mildest tasting game animals there is.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
Never seen a raccoon up here-not sure if we have them actually (and there are NO skunks...why do they always show a skunk on a show about Alaska anyway LOL)....but I imagine these ideas would work for porcupine? Anyone tried that? They are pretty plentiful for small game...of course I'll stick with fish, moose, and caribou, and good bear when I can ... just got me thinking about small game too besides spruce hens and ptarmigans.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I watched one of kev's squirrel hunting videos on YouTube recently. His purpose was to use the guts to bait a trap, but I seriously wondered whether he was going to eat it. Retired South Dakota neighbor across the street from me told me about a guy on the other block: "Old Willie goes out in his backyard and traps squirrels. Takes 'em into his garage [motions a gun] and pow! Cooks 'em." I've seen **** in my yard a couple times, but squirrel are all over the place. Best way to track squirrel is to track oak trees.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Never seen a raccoon up here-not sure if we have them actually (and there are NO skunks...why do they always show a skunk on a show about Alaska anyway LOL)....but I imagine these ideas would work for porcupine? Anyone tried that? They are pretty plentiful for small game...of course I'll stick with fish, moose, and caribou, and good bear when I can ... just got me thinking about small game too besides spruce hens and ptarmigans.
I read somewhere that porcupine is real good. Never tried it, don't have them here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I recently put up my Trail Cam, to see how many deer are in the area. When I started to go thru the pics the other day, the number of ***** that showed up shocked me. I looked at my wife and said, "I wonder what they taste like?" she answered, "Only one way to find out." So I guess I'm going **** hunting this weekend.

Thanks for the recipe, and I'll go look for the rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts