Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in the UK so there are strict gun laws. what do u sudjest to hunt squirels? traps? if so then what traps should i use? air rifle? would it be sufficient? how would i bait them etc

·
V
21,713 Posts
Guy you can use both Mouse and Rat traps with great results,peanut butter as bait works great. (becareful not to use in areas that also have red squirrels)

Air rifle's are awesome for small game such as squirrel, so can be a slingshot (wristrocket).

Theres the legal aspect to take into consideration if your thinking of doing this (just a cautionary note)

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
I use a air rifle or just a 22 lr on average but I have used traps and blowguns before lol just for a small clallenge

as for the traps a small cage and bate trap works well. takes about 20 minutes to make. and can be reused numerous times as long as you do not kill the squirel in the cage

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I would use a .22, but they say it tastes like chicken so it would be easier to kill a chicken .

·
Registered
410 Posts
what was the warning about red squirrels about???

whats the difference.. a tree rat is a tree rat... I have taken plenty of them with my air rifle.. actually if you have a decent powered air rifle.. you can take out alot of small game.. with my air rifle I have taken, doves, pidgeons, rabbits, squirrels, a few cats.. If you can get it in your sites, then you can probably kill it with a air rifle... small game that is.

-MadMiike

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
i live in the UK so there are strict gun laws
what was the warning about red squirrels about???
Not necessarily strict airgun laws however. You're lucky it's legal to hunt with them in the UK, as it is not in some other countries. Grey squirrel are vermin in the UK and there are active ongoing culls up and down northern England. These haven't just taken place on private property lawns, for pay per pelt on estates but also under the sanctioning of local councils in national parks. This is to protect the red squirrel, the native, which you may not ever shoot lest you want to risk prison or a fine. It is quite simply illegal for the RSPCA to re-release an injured grey squirrel into the British Isles, proven by a case not so long ago. So, if it is your land you are shooting on, the munitions will not and could not reasonably penetrate and leave your property, that you are not firing from a window, or within close distance to the highway then go nuts and hunt as many grey squirrels as you like.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
In your case and air rifle.

Cleaning.

1. remove head, hang upside down for a while, let it bleed out.
2. Insert knife in rectum of animal, make incision along abdomen up to neck.
3. Peel back skin, remove innards the finish skinning animal remove tail.
4. what you have left kinda resembles a an elongated cornish hen, cut it up just like a small chicken and cook it, squirrel does best in things like stew but is just fine skewered and cooked over an open fire w/ salt and pepper.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would use a figure 4 deadfall trap. You could set up several traps and check them every day. This guy has a ton of great trapping infomation posted on youtube.

·
glock snob
346 Posts
if you want to catch tree rat use fishing line and a small hook ,like you would use for bluegill tie it around the base of the tree with a little slack put a piece of apple on the hook ,when the tree rat eats the apple and hooks him self hit him with what ever you have ,.then you have dinner !!!!! why make it so hard !!

·
Registered
167 Posts
my neighbor uses an air rifle to kill the squirels around his house. he then chops the tails off and hangs em in his garage as a trophy lol.

he hates them cuz they drop nuts in his pool and then f***s up the pool vac. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts