Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
Holy Geez Dont!

You are a freshwater organism. Freshwater fish carry bacteria, virus and parasites, the same sort that the water carries and your water purifier is designed to remove. (This is why you boil or purify water before drinking it).

SEAFOOD can be eaten raw, because in order for parasites to survive they need a heavily saline environment, (20%+) Your body is only about 5% saline. Not enough for them to survive.

So to recap; sushi is seafood because salt-water fish is "relatively" safe to eat. Fresh-water fish will kill you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy Geez Dont!

You are a freshwater organism. Freshwater fish carry bacteria, virus and parasites, the same sort that the water carries and your water purifier is designed to remove. (This is why you boil or purify water before drinking it).

SEAFOOD can be eaten raw, because in order for parasites to survive they need a heavily saline environment, (20%+) Your body is only about 5% saline. Not enough for them to survive.

So to recap; sushi is seafood because salt-water fish is "relatively" safe to eat. Fresh-water fish will kill you.
THANK YOU.

I knew it was one of the two.....coulda swore I saw that SAS guy do on TV, maybe he's full of it or has an IRON gut.

-Rob

p.s. know i just gotta relearn how to gut and clean a fish...haven't done it since I was like 10.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not good idea

Dont ask how I know, just remember that if you chewed a "soft" old tin can it would taste better. If you can catch freswater fish it will usually be possible to sun dry, smoke or cook the fish, making it taste better, as well as being safer.

Bottom line, you _can_ eat fish raw, but like eating dirt it is not really a good idea and most people do not want to do it twice.

GreyOne

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
There are many edible fresh water fish around the world, although there are many that taste like crap, bones (or mud). I would never eat them raw though.

Traditionally in Europe and North America, infections with fish tapeworms were incurred during the preparation of gefilte fish by Jewish women who tasted bits of uncooked freshwater fish and thus ingested plerocercoids.

Lofty Wiseman in SAS Survival Handbook, new edition 2006 says that all freshwater fish are edible (p243) although he must be less fussy than some of us. Lofty also says fresh water fish are usually germ free and are best stewed or wrapped in non-toxic leaves and cooked in embers (p298). Smoking is also good to preserve fish - or sun-dry to make Biltong. He also cautions to avoid fresh water stingrays, piranha (of course) and electric eels (p228).

A special caution also is not to eat anything from freshwater which might cause you to ingest BLUE-GREEN ALGAE. It is POISONOUS (p187).

The rules I always follow (please correct me if you know I'm wrong) is to bleed all fish immediately, and gut asap. I do this with ALL freshwater fish and any saltwater fish that might eat weed, or have a dark inside lining, like blackfish.

Some edibles, as far as I know:

• freshwater bream
  • freshwater bass
  • freshwater catfish - yuck, skin these
  • carp
  • buffalofish
  • pike
  • perch
  • lake trout
  • whitefish
  • eels, skin these like a snake of catfish
  • freshwater mussels
  • crayfish, marron, freshwater prawns
  • freshwater cod (eg Murray Cod, Australia)
  • freshwater Perch, Barramundi
Cheers, Herne

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
Thanks Herne,

Good post about edible freshwater fish. It is important to note, as you point out, edible COOKED and NOT raw.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
a few more thoughts

first rule of fish cooking is dont dont dont dont overcook.

if you can smell it cooking you are overcooking it. when the muscle bands will separate nicely its cooked.

As for eating fish raw......spent more time than was maybe sensible "going native" in Eskimo country in Alaska.

There was only one type of fish that they Esks in that area liked to eat fresh / raw, a small kind of whitefish.

Frozen fish is another deal tho. Freezing kills parasites like tapeworms.

There is some technique to figure out, it isnt immediately obvious how you go from whole frozen fish to something you put in your mouth. Some species like salmon really arent very good frozen. Whitefish and pike are excellent. The eggs and liver are good and should be eaten. A fish that is just thawed enough is very easy no-mess to clean.

Anyhow.... might not ever be important, let alone life or death, but eating raw fresh water fish is ok to do, pretty good really, if you do it right.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
Several of the rivers and lakes around Memphis have signs posted saying not to eat the fish at all (yes, even cooked) due to the high mercury content in them.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
All land snails, land slugs and freshwater mollusks are edible after they have been thoroughly cooked. Many of them don't taste good, and many do. Some needs some foul tasting parts removed. The land slugs and snails can harbor a parasite that comes from rat droppings. If the slug or snail is eaten raw the parasite can crawl from your stomach to your brain and cause it to swell, threatening your life. So, cook the slugs and snails thoroughly, as well as the freshwater mollusks who can have bacteria from Beaver's and Butt Head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eating freshwater fish raw

Just now watching man vs wild. He speared and ate a catfish raw. My admitedly very old navy survival training was very clear on this point salt water fish are usually safe to eat raw, if freshly killed. Freshwater fish, no way never do it, the parasites and bacteria that live in freshwater fish can kill you, or seriously weaken you much faster than starvation. Just wondering if something has changed.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
We always froze our cleaned bass and crappie in a quart bag with salted water. Fish tasted great and didn't get freezer burn.

We never ate bass or crappie right off the docks unless we fried them.

Never really liked catfish though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Please don't eat fresh water fish, unless you know that there are no bacterial contaminates, or parasites which infect those fish. There is little way to know! Fish tape worm (Diphyllobothrium latum)) is not pleasant to get! Pickle or cook with lime or lemon does not destroy this parasite.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I have, many many years ago, eaten raw freshwater fish multiple times without harm.

I would no longer trust doing so (freshwater or otherwise).

Smoke it, cook it, dry it, boil it... something.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts