Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is out there now?

Need something for the wife, right now the only thing she will shoot is a 1911 style 22LR because it is the only thing she can rack the slide on. Have same problem with my youngest daughter.

Read good things about the Smith wesson 9EZ.

Would like to stay 9mm as that is what most of what I have is, so wife will not confuse ammo.

Is S&W the only ones in this game?

It has been out for awhile now, still holding up?

Shooting a 9 is traumatic enough for her as it is. So a bigger full size gun would be better. Easier to hold, less kick.

·
Registered
206 Posts
teaching the 10yr old to shoot, we started with 9mm 1911 hard time pulling slide, then hk vp9 still too hard, then glock 19, that he can pull back consistently so thats his camelbak gun.

Adjusting recoil spring generally isnt a good idea for reliablilty reasons.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Learning proper techniques will help. Practice with training dummies will build strength.
When have been to the range 100 times and every time she acts like it is her first time. She isn't passionate about it, she will not retain anything she is taught. Especially in a adrenaline pumping situation.
Have to remind her that all she needs to do is pull the trigger. Every time she pulls the trigger.

Have to keep it simple and hope if it is her gun and she likes it that maybe she will take more interest in learning how to use it properly.

38 special revolver?
So not want to add another caliber, God forbid she ever had to load it herself or our daughter and try to stuff the wrong ammo in. Plus the principal of putting in a mag and racking a slide is the same concept for every weapon she has ever fired.

·
Registered
536 Posts
OP... so your wife doesn't have the skill, strength, or desire (currently) to use a handgun proficiently?
What makes you think she would actually EDC one?
I have similar with my wife. She has some skill, strength not an issue, but zero desire. She does not carry. Period.
So, i try to go with her whenever i can. And keep the option open for her to EDC I purchased a gift certificate for an excellent female trainer here in town that wife can schedule with any time and try out different handguns.

Best i can do. I can't force her to carry. If I do, most likely in an event she will forget abt the gun, or it will be used on her.
She gotta want to.

My2c

PS: Sidearms are tuned all the time. If done by bubba or WCSOG attendees; yeah, you can expect problems.
Most factory guns are tuned for most people with most ammo. In no way does that mean it's best for your situation. And in no way does tuning necessarily mean "less reliable".

ETA: lemme gts for you. Just a few ideas here. There are lots of really good options out there.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Is this for carry or home defense? If the latter, long arms are far easier to shoot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is out there now?

Need something for the wife, right now the only thing she will shoot is a 1911 style 22LR because it is the only thing she can rack the slide on. Have same problem with my youngest daughter.

Read good things about the Smith wesson 9EZ.

Would like to stay 9mm as that is what most of what I have is, so wife will not confuse ammo.

Is S&W the only ones in this game?

It has been out for awhile now, still holding up?

Shooting a 9 is traumatic enough for her as it is. So a bigger full size gun would be better. Easier to hold, less kick.

Got the 380 EZ for my mom. Easy rack and easy shooter. She nailed bullseye on target at the range. Am sure 9mm not much differ than the 380 except slight more kickback. Don’t forget to add a light.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OP... so your wife doesn't have the skill, strength, or desire (currently) to use a handgun proficiently?
What makes you think she would actually EDC one?
Is this for carry or home defense? If the latter, long arms are far easier to shoot.
She is not going to EDC or Coneal Carry, this is for home defense only.

Wife works from home.
Couple things prompted this.
My youngest Son has a German shepherd. He is talking of moving out on his own soon.
If she decides to answer the door she currently does it with an AR and the dog, but grandkids are getting more mobile, can't just leave a loaded AR or shotgun laying around anymore.

So she wants a handgun that she can operate and can gain confidence operating and allow her to lock it up, unload it, or place it out of reach of kids.

Since she cannot rack any of our current 9s she just gives up trying anything with them at all.

She can chamber a round on the AR but I often find the safety still on, guarantee she thought it was ready to fire, so it never would have fired anyway.

We live in a pretty safe neighborhood but lately strange people have been showing up. Some looking for the youngest daughter, they are pretty shady looking people in my opinion LOL You know flat billers, or hoodies on a 99 degree day. Hiding themselves.
Also had a hail storm last spring the roof people have been relentless. Sometimes 5 people a week have shown up to do a "free" roof inspection without warning. What is even worse is these people show up wearing masks. We are in a pretty conservative area, masks are not common, even among service providers so you already know this person is not a local. The mask also makes it hard to recognize on the security camera.

We live in the middle of 2 acres in the city limits. If people are knocking on my door they really had to go out of their way to do it. When people show up unannounced who knows what intentions they have in mind.

Plus the wife is small and a scaredy cat. LOL

·
Registered
387 Posts
She is not going to EDC or Coneal Carry, this is for home defense only.

Wife works from home.
Couple things prompted this.
My youngest Son has a German shepherd. He is talking of moving out on his own soon.
If she decides to answer the door she currently does it with an AR and the dog, but grandkids are getting more mobile, can't just leave a loaded AR or shotgun laying around anymore.

So she wants a handgun that she can operate and can gain confidence operating and allow her to lock it up, unload it, or place it out of reach of kids.

Since she cannot rack any of our current 9s she just gives up trying anything with them at all.

She can chamber a round on the AR but I often find the safety still on, guarantee she thought it was ready to fire, so it never would have fired anyway.

We live in a pretty safe neighborhood but lately strange people have been showing up. Some looking for the youngest daughter, they are pretty shady looking people in my opinion LOL You know flat billers, or hoodies on a 99 degree day. Hiding themselves.
Also had a hail storm last spring the roof people have been relentless. Sometimes 5 people a week have shown up to do a "free" roof inspection without warning. What is even worse is these people show up wearing masks. We are in a pretty conservative area, masks are not common, even among service providers so you already know this person is not a local. The mask also makes it hard to recognize on the security camera.

We live in the middle of 2 acres in the city limits. If people are knocking on my door they really had to go out of their way to do it. When people show up unannounced who knows what intentions they have in mind.

Plus the wife is small and a scaredy cat. LOL
Kudos to you for working through her concerns/limitations. Your parameters are clear.
It is its own challenge when the "interest" level does not support the required need/skill.

Last I knew, the Ruger SP101 came in 9mm with half moon clips. That mitigates her "racking a slide" and your need to keep ammunition the same.
Ruger® SP101® Standard Double-Action Revolver Model 5783

Just a thought.

·
Jackpine Savage
7,557 Posts
When have been to the range 100 times and every time she acts like it is her first time. She isn't passionate about it, she will not retain anything she is taught. Especially in a adrenaline pumping situation.
Have to remind her that all she needs to do is pull the trigger. Every time she pulls the trigger.

Have to keep it simple and hope if it is her gun and she likes it that maybe she will take more interest in learning how to use it properly.

So not want to add another caliber, God forbid she ever had to load it herself or our daughter and try to stuff the wrong ammo in. Plus the principal of putting in a mag and racking a slide is the same concept for every weapon she has ever fired.
While I believe in the right to have a gun that doesn't mean that everybody should have one. You might be safer hardening your entry points and teaching her to dial 911 and grab something long and stabby.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While I believe in the right to have a gun that doesn't mean that everybody should have one. You might be safer hardening your entry points and teaching her to dial 911 and grab something long and stabby.
I would tend to agree with this, but she seems to be safe and aware of the dangers in handling the weapons, hence wanting to get something she can clear the chamber on herself and keeping weapons away from grandkids.
No concern of her accidently shooting someone.

Hate for her to get shot or killed because I cheaped out and didn't get her a $500 handgun.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My wife and I each have an EZ in 9mm. We travel frequently to Washington State and that is a >11 rd mag state so the 8 rounds in the magazine is good to go. My wife can rack the slide, load the magazines and disassemble and clean the firearm quite easily. Her friends have started buying them too, after shooting the gun.
If I were to do it all again, I would have spent the extra $100 for the Performance center version just for the better sights and the cleaning kit is a bonus. This gun is definitely a keeper!
Walther also makes an easy to use/rack gun, but cannot speak to it.
Cheers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My wife is a great shot when i can talk her in going to the range, but like you said gotta start over every time. So after lots of firearms ive come down to guns with right side charging handle. Ak, ak 9mm which is perfect for her, and benelli m4. I also teach the 10 yr old all the guns are the same. Grab the big frkn lever and pull it. Safety is also nice and big on ak’s

Wood Gas Art Font Shelving

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nothing wrong the S&W EZ guns, and it sounds like they fit the bill nicely. But they are not the kind of gun you shoot a lot and will last forever. The only other reportedly easy to rack semi-auto on the market is the Walker CCP M2+. It has been though a few iterations and the M2+ is the newest and supposedly the best.

I will also add that a few companies make 9mm revolvers that use moon clips. Same rounds, different manual of arms.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts