Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're off camping over the 4th weekend, any ideas for easy, simple, food that kids like, I am looking for easy stuff. Besides dogs, and burgers?

·
Primeval Tendencies
83 Posts
Hard to go wrong with canned ravioli/spaghetti/mac & cheese, ect. Little heavier to carry but it's easy to heat, or eat cold, and I'd imagine the youngins would eat it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
One of my favorite foods to take on camping trips is that pancake mix you just add water to. Just measure it out before hand and put it in a zip lock bag, one big enough to hold the water you will add to it later. Then add the water, shake it up really good, cut the corner off of it and you can make great pancakes. You can even add some chocolate chips while they are in the pan if you want.

And like Bowie says. Beans and Weenies just tastes so much better around a camp fire for some reason. LOL...

·
Fish Slayer
135 Posts
Try my favorite, Spaghetti-O's. Big kids like em too. Easy to heat up in a canteen cup, or in the can. If your like Mrs. EMUT she likes them cold right out of the can.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
the pre cooked bacon on the shelf doesn't have to be refigerated til it is opened. use it to build bacon and tomato sandwiches by making the toast at home. ditto hard boiled eggs, you can carry them on a day trip and use when you are ready unless the shell gets broken before you want to eat it (then discard). little foil packets of mayo and you can mix up egg salad right there...
finger food such as grapes, carrots, celery and use little dishes of pnut butter or crock type cheese. toasted/grilled cheese sandwiches are good too, easy to make with a little iron skillet , just pre assemble the 'raw' sandwich ahead of time, even butter the outside of the bread and wrap tightly, then open and cook when you are ready.
trail mix is good for them and fun to make ahead of time.
shish kebabs can be made ahead of time and kept in the cooler...
have some fun! let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of my boy's favorites is from a book called "Freezer Bag Cooking" and it is Ramen noodles prepared without the seasoning packet with dried cranberries, cinnamon and brown sugar to taste. His comment the first time he tried it was "Where has this been all of my life? He is 10 years old!!

·
Wire Guided
933 Posts
Hobo dinners. Dump cake in a Dutch oven. Pocket pizzas, grilled PB and J's, grilled cheese, and/or fruit cobblers using campfire sandwich toasters (the cast iron clamshell style...avoid the aluminum ones.) Shish Kabobs are simple...try fruit kabobs, too. Google "Coca Cola Chicken." You can make pizza in a Dutch oven or make deep fried pizzas using Pillsbury (or similar) ready to bake biscuits. You can make descent donuts using the same biscuits: just roll them in sugar and cinnamon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Taquitos. You can get a box of 25-ish for around five bucks. Cook 'em over the fire like a hot dog. No bun, no catsup dripping off your fingers.
Make sure they're thawed first though. Otherwise you have a frozen treat with black ends, lol

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hobo dinners. Dump cake in a Dutch oven. Pocket pizzas, grilled PB and J's, grilled cheese, and/or fruit cobblers using campfire sandwich toasters (the cast iron clamshell style...avoid the aluminum ones.) Shish Kabobs are simple...try fruit kabobs, too. Google "Coca Cola Chicken." You can make pizza in a Dutch oven or make deep fried pizzas using Pillsbury (or similar) ready to bake biscuits. You can make descent donuts using the same biscuits: just roll them in sugar and cinnamon.
THIS.

In case you're a noob, and BTW, nothing wrong with that, we all started there...I'll take the liberty of explaining some of these mentioned by m47:

Hobo Dinner: Tin foil is the key. Heavy duty. Take any kind of meat, (hamburger pattie, chicken breast, steak, etc- check the temp, if needed) half of a sliced potato, a small can of veg-all or any fresh veggie, (corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, etc) add a few pats of butter and even dry gravy mix. wrap in a foil pouch and throw it on the coals for 15-20 minutes and serve. Make each one individual for the eater. it's special that way when junior gets his own hobo dinner, just like he wanted it. Great and easy dinner, this one is hard to screw up. as long as the foil is sealed well it wont burn very easy..

Dump cake: grease a seasoned dutch oven with lots of butter. use your choice of cake mix with all the ingrediaents mixed and ready. set directly on hot coals and cover lid with coals for about 15-20 minutes. serve with friut or pour frosting over hot cake and let cool before eating.

get creative and experienment with bisquick mix too, drop biscuits made in a skillet or dutch oven are great. also good for cakes, etc.

ALSO: plus 1 on the biscuits-as-donuts-thing. Awesome donuts.

good luck with the camping.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Hobo Dinners and Eggs in a bag got me through cub scouts just fine!

Also GORP is fun and tasty - have the little one help you blend it before the trip!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
GORP is excellent grab and go food. And even though GORP stand for "Good Old Raisins and Peanuts", I don't like raisins so my GORP never has them in it. Then again, that's the beauty of GORP. Whatever and however you want it, put it in there. Even Chocolate Chips. By the end of the day you have melted chocolate clusters of yummy goodness. LOL...

Carry On...

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
I, too, do not enjoy raisins so I sub in dried cranberries instead!

you and i can now refer to GORP as meaning gobs of raw protein

·
The end is,,,,,
10,005 Posts
SMORES poeple!!!! SMORES!!! Make it fun, that away you can get them into it and keep them into it. Other than dinner time which would be the same kinda stuff you eat at home, give them something they can do. Like SMORES!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Strawberry Quick

My two kids love strawberry milk.
Divide out into ziplock bags the proper amount of strawberry quick mix and powdered milk to make the proper drink size. then all you do is add that to your container of water shake it up and wala, strawberry milk.

Make sure you get the powdered milk that is made from whole milk. That powdered skim milk i got once was nasty...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
SMORES poeple!!!! SMORES!!! Make it fun, that away you can get them into it and keep them into it. Other than dinner time which would be the same kinda stuff you eat at home, give them something they can do. Like SMORES!!!
Cant go wrong with smores. Pack some paper towels.. lots of them..

·
Registered
212 Posts
In scouts, we used to take a heavy ziplock bag, fill it with eggs, cheese, salt, salsa, whatever, close it, and drop it into a big boiling pot of water. Eggs in a bag. :)
I think they stopped doing that since the heat and the plastic bag caused pba's or what not to leach out of the bag into the food. Cool idea though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Usually when I go camping I try and make things to show kids that they can eat at camp just like at home, granted they aren't my kids :) Tacos, Pizza, Peach(whatever fruit) cobbler (also called dump cake), monkey bread, and my newest addition "Cherry cheesecake with a graham cracker crust" in the dutch oven.

Easy stuff though would be tacos, beans, sausage biscuits, tortilla scramblers, "Fresh baked fish" I prefer mud wrapped, or hobo burgers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts