1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have photographed each step but was too excited to get it done,

okay materials
I used krylon outdoor brown, OD, Coyote tan,
some type of mesh, i used the mesh cut off a backpack, I have also used embroidery screens like the big plastic ones you can get at walmart.

I start with my base color usually tan, do two to three coats, allowing it to dry then i place the mesh or screen over in sections and do random sprays of my secondary color. after that dries i start my third color the same method.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also, I see Krylon offers a "camo" paint specifically for plastic "hunting and outdoor gear". Anyone try this stuff out?

I have wanted to camo my M1a synthetic for a while now.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it was the standard synthetic stock it seems very durable I rubbed my hand on while applying pressure no paint came off. no no primer didn't have to rough up the stock at all on account as it seemed rough enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's the great things about Krylon-cost and durability! Your rifle already has a finish to protect it from the elements. When my Krylon jobs become eyesores (generally, months of hard use later) I just touch it up and I'm good to go.

·
Banned
2,281 Posts
I should have photographed each step but was too excited to get it done,

okay materials
I used krylon outdoor brown, OD, Coyote tan,
some type of mesh, i used the mesh cut off a backpack, I have also used embroidery screens like the big plastic ones you can get at walmart.

I start with my base color usually tan, do two to three coats, allowing it to dry then i place the mesh or screen over in sections and do random sprays of my secondary color. after that dries i start my third color the same method.

nice job! i kryloned my ar15 last year and its still holding up real well. and if you have to touch it up its real easy. or if you want to start all over its real easy to strip all the krylon off.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a word of advice i would not use krylon on any semi auto barrels or any bolt gun you rapid fire. I have seen it bubble up and smoke like crazy. I actaully try not to paint the weapon or scope itself i use strips of burlap on the scope

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Nice work, thanks for sharing the pic.
Did you use the Krylon made for plastic lawn furniture, etc., or the regular Krylon?

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
For the scope get some camo wrap at your local hunting store. It's basically sticky loose knit ace wrap in realtree. For an cool look, stretch one layer of cheese cloth tightly on a black synthetic stock, then apply a light coat of OD, folliage, or tan.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Almost sold on Krylon

It seems the correct color brands/color codes for multicam are almost mythical.

...anyone have a complete set of color names/brands for multicam?

Like all 6 colors for the Krylon brand?

I broke down multicam into 6 colors:

Bottom: Light brown and darker brown
Middle: pea green fadded into a darker green
Top: really dark brown with really light tan color

???

Also, do you have experience with spray painting the gun parts like receiver and barrel? Does the hot barrel effect the paint after a lot of firing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts