Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,623 Posts
Per the opening image on the video

A good explanation on how to sight it in.
How to zero a red dot sight - YouTube
If your iron sights are part of the optics view, then doesnt the dot just add more background noise to your view?

With a just dot you are able to view objects around point of inception with no iron obstructing the view.

If I put something on a rifle I would want some magnification as an option.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If your iron sights are part of the optics view, then doesnt the dot just add more background noise to your view?

With a just dot you are able to view objects around point of inception with no iron obstructing the view.

If I put something on a rifle I would want some magnification as an option.
In theory the front sight is obstructing the view, but in practice it's not noticeable when using the red dot.

Magnified red dots are available, but if you go that route you might just as well get a scope, which will lead to several problems on an SKS.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It works well.
It doesn’t change the underlying value of the equipment or mar collectability.
You have very rapid sight picture acquisition.
The rifle can be used exactly as intended.
It costs next to nothing
What’s not to like?

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Seems a few people don't like the idea because it looks unconventional.

As for looking ugly, a red dot never looks nice but I really think this system looks neater than any other.

·
Originalist
1,223 Posts
When I compare the likes with dislikes it's about 50/50.

As for practicality it's 100% :)

I guess that's the thing about ergonomics is they are highly subjective. Personally I feel like the average SKS is pretty well balanced as is. The M59/66 which has just a little bit more weight on the front is nose heavy so I'd imagine I'd feel the same about having a red dot out there. Also seems like having it so far out there would basically turn it into the same paradigm as a fiber optic front site, so I can see it being useful. Personally I think about the right distance would be about where the rear site on the SKS sits.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I guess that's the thing about ergonomics is they are highly subjective. Personally I feel like the average SKS is pretty well balanced as is. The M59/66 which has just a little bit more weight on the front is nose heavy so I'd imagine I'd feel the same about having a red dot out there. Also seems like having it so far out there would basically turn it into the same paradigm as a fiber optic front site, so I can see it being useful. Personally I think about the right distance would be about where the rear site on the SKS sits.
At 3.7 ounces the weight of the red dot is unnoticeable.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts

It's your guns, do what you want but,... This is how I feel about adding anything to an SKS or an AK. I would put it in the "a solution looking for a problem" category.

Al

Reactions: stroo

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

It's your guns, do what you want but,... This is how I feel about adding anything to an SKS or an AK. I would put it in the "a solution looking for a problem" category.

Al
It's the other way around, I can hit what I aim at and twice as fast when using a red dot, that's not the case when using irons.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Would an open reflex sight work just as well and be a lot lighter up front? And be less obtrusive......

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Would an open reflex sight work just as well and be a lot lighter up front? And be less obtrusive......
I tried a Burris reflex sight but it did not work well as it could not be co-witnessed, and the dot intensity is not adjustable.

At 3.7 ounces the weight is unnoticeable.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts