Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
Joined
·
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Easiest Fire Starter

Last night, the family camped out. I decided to give chemistry a try. I got a chlorine pool tablet from Walmart and some brake fluid. Shaved some chlorine in a small box with some kindling. Poured in some brake fluid. Waited 5 minutes and the whole thing ignited. A lot easier and less frustrating than fire starters.

The glycol in the brake fluid oxidizes the chlorine and gives off heat. The heat starts the fire. Takes a little while, be patient, but works like a charm.
 

·
Camo nut
Joined
·
219 Posts
I'd be very careful with that combination, it also gives of fumes strong enough to burn the lining out of your throat and lungs, pretty much like mustard gas. The other thing is you shouldn't have those two items near each other in a pack.
 

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Interesting way to start a fire, but what effects does it have on the environment where you're starting the fire? Could it damage the soil, and as stated above wouldn't the fumes hurt you or the food you might be cooking?
 

·
American fearmaker
Joined
·
14,249 Posts
You can also start a fire using glycerin and chlorine tablets too. Watch out though because once the fire takes off, it WILL flare up a couple of feet. It also gets hot real fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I have used this trick when hunting on a rainy wet day.

Take a 12 gague shell and cut it in half to get the powder out.

Pour the powder on to the tinder and light. It will flare up a couple inches but will add that xtra hot punch to get a damp and wet fire started.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Big Eye that's a pretty good way to get a fire started in a hurry. Not to mention if you carry a wrist rocket sling shot you can use the pellets too. My only question is (as I have never cut open a shotgun shell before), how dangerous is it? Is there a chance of me setting off the round by cutting the shell in half with my knife?

I might have to look more into this and add a few shells to my backpacking gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
You can see through the plastic shells to some degree. If you do not cause a spark , or strike the primer , you will be safe.

I cut just behind the wadd , in front of the powder charge, pour the powder out and seperate the bottom of the hiull away from anything else. I would bury it in an emergency situation.

The primer is still live and residue powder could flare up if the primer is activated , or could ignite any flamable product like camp gas, propane, ect...

I keep the 00 buck pellets for that same reason , too.
 

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Very helpful. Wouldn't it be safer to cut right in the middle where the wadding is between the shot and the charge? The wadding would make for good fire starter as well i bet.

While this idea really intrests me, I'm not to keen on the idea of having to bury the empty shell. I'm a strict follower of the "Leave no trace" mantra. Is there a possible safe way to remove the used charge from the bush, to be disposed of properly? Perhapse by tossing it into the fire to set off the remander of the charge and then pull out the metal and plastic once cooled? (yes I know that last bit isn't really "smart" or "Eco friendly" just trying to choose a lesser of two evils)
 

·
Deo VIndice
Joined
·
6,108 Posts
you can also get a small container of Ronson lighter fluid.
 

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
Joined
·
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The fire is about 2000+ degrees. It burns for awhile and will light small sticks and gets the fire going.

Yes, I would not breathe in smoke. I use a small amount of chlorine and brake fluid, it is burned up quickly, so I am not worried about cooking after a few minutes.

It is a lot easier than either a lighter or firesteel I have both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
i use a brown dead pine tree and a small spark.. thing goes up faster then gasoline and man is it ever hot.. i threw a small one on the fire went from 1 foot hight to 6 feet instantly and was so hot had to stand back 12 feet and could still feel it was awsome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
When I was a kid we took a whole box of 12 guage dove loads and made a huge pile of powder and lit it up. Mushroom cloud! The only bad part was that we lit it inside our "clubhouse" which really was a 10x12 plywood shed my dad brought home from Motorola, which they had left over from missle tests. We ran out hacking and coughing. It was hilarious and totally unsupervised.

As for fire starting, my Blast Match came last week and it's amazing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
You can see through the plastic shells to some degree. If you do not cause a spark , or strike the primer , you will be safe.

I cut just behind the wadd , in front of the powder charge, pour the powder out and seperate the bottom of the hiull away from anything else. I would bury it in an emergency situation.

The primer is still live and residue powder could flare up if the primer is activated , or could ignite any flamable product like camp gas, propane, ect...

I keep the 00 buck pellets for that same reason , too.
A multi tool can be used on a regular bullet as well. just clamp down on the bullet and twist and rotate until it comes out, dump the powder and you're good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
another alternative to the shell trick is out of the SAS handbook and may be a bit safer. instead of emptying out all of the powder, empty out only half and stuff the cartridge with some cloth from your tshirt, bandanna, whatever. load the round in your gun and fire at the ground. take the smoldering piece of cloth and toss it in your tinder budle(the bundle could also contain the rest of the powder for some extra fire starting power).
voila!
this can also work with handguns and most rifle calibers using the method brutalsun posted.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top