Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Truth Seeker
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from the below link:
"Earth's inner core, a hot iron ball the size of Pluto, has stopped spinning in the same direction as the rest of the planet and might even be rotating the other way, research suggested on Monday.
Roughly 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles) below the surface we live on, this "planet within the planet" can spin independently because it floats in the liquid metal outer core."

Earth's inner core may have started spinning other way: Study

· Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
2,328 Posts
I heard, have not verified, that this happens every 70 years or so. Again idk just parroting out useless Information.

· Registered
411 Posts
Theres two related topics here, first is the earths liquid iron core rotation direction. The second is magnetic north flipping.

Based on the fact that we can measure magnetic north and that value changes over time from north to south, we have good evidence this not only does this in fact happen, it happens geologically relatively frequently. Unfortunately it's not an exact science, we can't look at historic magnetic data and know if this is a usual pattern every 1000 or 500,000 years. We do know some periods seem to be short.

The link says the direction of rotation may change 20 to 30 years or maybe more like 70. The only way we'll figure that out for sure is witness it happen several times. Anyone know what if any impacts the rotation changing direction has? Does it weaken the earths magnetic field?

We do know compasses have pointed the same direction since around the 1300s, that's 700 years without a flip. I suspect magnetic north flipping and the rotation of the liquid iron and highly related.

· Jackpine Savage
8,473 Posts
Taken from the below link:
"Earth's inner core, a hot iron ball the size of Pluto, has stopped spinning in the same direction as the rest of the planet and might even be rotating the other way, research suggested on Monday.
Roughly 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles) below the surface we live on, this "planet within the planet" can spin independently because it floats in the liquid metal outer core."

Earth's inner core may have started spinning other way: Study
No what it says is that the core is no longer spinning faster than the planet.

· Registered
5,183 Posts
This is one time I definitely side with the California professor over the 2 Chinese professors.

Much is conjecture.

I was on vessel Glomar Challenger. This oil drilling boat had a contrct to drill to Mohorovic Discontinuity (Funded by NSF as part of Operation Moho).

Again, much is speculation. Won't even check my magnetic compasses.

· Premium Member
18,330 Posts
No what it says is that the core is no longer spinning faster than the planet.
Funny how relative motion is so difficult for people to grasp....

Look ma, that car we just passed on the freeway is going backwards! :ROFLMAO:

Newton's laws of motion still apply to the Earth and any spinning iron core.
The core's rate and direction of rotation would require a tremendous amount of energy to change.

More likely the core does not change at all.

More likely the magnetic field changes.
Exactly....BUT, it's possible the slower rate of rotation could contribute to that, somehow.

Physics....crazy how physical things always seem to hinge on physical laws. (y)

· Registered
9,662 Posts
Newton's laws of motion still apply to the Earth and any spinning iron core.
The core's rate and direction of rotation would require a tremendous amount of energy to change.

More likely the core does not change at all.

More likely the magnetic field changes.
I would think it would spin in all directions like a gyroscope. I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

· Live Secret, Live Happy
18,483 Posts
I would think it would spin in all directions like a gyroscope. I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The core of a mechanical gyro is a single rotary mass, spinning on a single axis. This core keeps rotating exactly the same while the surounding structure (which is fixed to the plane or missile) rotates freely in the other axis. The job of a gyro is to allow precise measurement of those rotations.

So yes, I believe you are correct in your anology. The Earth's rotates on a single axis, but as the Earth moves and rotates, thie core spin axis rotates vs the outer shell.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts