Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ramp up my preps.

I need to think of all the things that can happen and prepare them.

Seriously....who would expect a 5.8 quake in Virginia!

Do you plan for weather emergencies that rarely happen in your area?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I plan for tornadoes, fires and thunderstorms. Tornadoes and thunderstorms could be lights out for a bit, of course just an extra hot day can mean that here as it did today. Fires, although they would be rare in my area, suburbia and most likely it'd be a house fire, but with a breeze and a house on fire nearby you never know. Earthquakes are a possibility but not much changes.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,601 Posts
I don't plan for specifics. I plan for general disasters and emergencies as most have common consequences. No food, no water, no electricity, no law, no medical care, etc...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is this your wake up call?

I hope this is a wakeup call for people just thinking about prepping. This post isn't for the people here that do prep, but for those that lurk in the background or talk about prepping but don't really.

The news said that both food lion stores out by the quake are closed due to structural damage. They also showed the small private grocery that was pretty messed up inside. So if the grocery stores get closed by an earthquake and you don't have at least some food put aside, then what are you going to eat? What if roads and bridges are impassable from a quake? That means you aren't going to be driving any distance to find a grocery open.

Do you have a well or do you get your water from a municipal system? Either way, will you still have a water supply? Water mains tend to break in earthquakes, wells can cave in. This isn't like a hurricane where you can say "Oh here comes a hurricane, should hit in a couple days. I'll have to remember to fill up some water containers tomorrow to be prepared." Today could have been a case of "I have plenty of water, why is the house shaking? How come I turn on the faucet and nothing comes out? Guess I should have had a warning about the earthquake so I could fill some containers."

How about first aid supplies? If you get injured do you think the government is going to come save you when you can't call them? Or if you can, how many other emergency calls came in? Does your family\freinds have first aid supplies? Advanced first aid supplies? Knowledge on how to use those supplies?

Both nuclear plants near the quake scrammed, they did what they were supposed to and that is good. But what about the power they generated? What will replace that missing power? I would say we are lucky because we have been having very nice weather, we haven't been running the main AC, only the small one in my office. What if we were having high temps and high humidity like we did in July? I wonder if this would result in rolling brownouts. Or how about power lines down? Do you have a way to cook meals if you do have food but your utilities are cut off?

What if your home is damaged and not safe to stay in? Do you have a temporaty shelter to use? Don't count on hotels, they may be closed due to damage. If not then they will probably fill up very quickly. And again with transportation, how would you get there if roads were impassable?

And of course the dreaded security. If 911 is busy trying to help people and travel is restricted, can you protect yourself if looters show up? After Katrina the looters and gangs were traveling hundreds of miles to go loot and do what they wanted in New Orleans. It seemed like the police were not able to stop them.

Will FEMA be able to immediately respond to a disaster that happens out of the blue? How long will it take if they aren't pre-staged for the emergency? Do they have the money to respond? I think we all know how slow they can be when they prepare for a coming disaster. And they've been telling communities hit by flooding and tornadoes to **** off lately. So can you survive until they show up? Can you survive if they don't show up? (hint, plan on preparing for the latter case)

To the OP, I'm glad this got you thinking. I hope you start to follow thru. I also hope it gets others to start moving. The more prepared people we have, the fewer needy we will have, the less potential looters we will have, the safer and more civil society will stay during a disaster.

·
Victory Loves Preparation
576 Posts
It was funny after I thought about it.

Just last Friday, I completed my three day pack, and put it in my truck to keep with me.

Today my son needed to borrow my truck, so he dropped me off at work. When we pulled into the parking lot, I got out and looked at my pack. I thought, should I take it in? What will the people at work think? I decided to take it. Walked in with it hanging on one shoulder and went to my desk and tossed it down. Once the floor started to shake and I realized it was not a train on the nearby tracks, I started to worry just a little, stood up and my foot bumped my pack. Once the tremors had stopped, I had a small smile.

Had it been a major problem, I had no vehicle to get me home, but I had my pack!!!!

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
HOLY CRAP GUYS!!!!

I was at my former job working, when I felt this shaking! I heard crashes then realized it wasn't physically me doing it.

So I run outside and ask if anyone felt that. One guy said the lumber yard across the street must have knocked over their wood.

We walk around to see, and sure enough the dry stacked wood had fallen over.

1 Hour latter we find that it was because of the Earth Quake.

I have NEVER been through that in my entire life!

Reactions: Dougzilla

·
Registered
905 Posts
HOLY CRAP GUYS!!!!

I was at my former job working, when I felt this shaking! I heard crashes then realized it wasn't physically me doing it.

So I run outside and ask if anyone felt that. One guy said the lumber yard across the street must have knocked over their wood.

We walk around to see, and sure enough the dry stacked wood had fallen over.

1 Hour latter we find that it was because of the Earth Quake.

I have NEVER been through that in my entire life!

Don't feel bad. I went through it today, but didn't feel a thing. My very first quake, and I STILL don't know WTF it feels like.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I need to ramp up my preps.

I need to think of all the things that can happen and prepare them.

Seriously....who would expect a 5.8 quake in Virginia!

Do you plan for weather emergencies that rarely happen in your area?
Just a baby rattle and everyone's crying like a baby. At the most a wake up call, but most won't hear it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
North Dakota is pretty earthquake and hurricane proof as far as I know. Gotta prep for winter, spring flooding, and the off tornado up here.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
This caused me to rethink the location of a lot of my preps. The majority of them are in the basement. Thought highly unlikely, what if there was a strong enough earthquake that caused my house to collapse? Not only would I not have a place to live, but the majority of my preps would be ruined.

This fall I want to reconsider this and see what perhaps I could move out to the shed.

·
Bread Baker
3,208 Posts
You may be surprised, and I hate to admit it, BUT being here in West "by god" Virginia, Earthquakes were not exactly to high up on my "possible source of SHTF scenarios!":confused:

Earthquakes appeared on this "mental list" somewhere between a locust invasion and a tidal flood. :D: Which on the list, that was in the you have gone looney section. I have now re-sorted the list:D:

Grant it, in all seriousness, assuming you prepare for anything, you should make out reasonably ok. It just goes to show ANYTHING is reasonably possible. Imagine if that quake would have worked up to a 7+. Im going to guess that most of us, wouldn't be posting jack squat right now. Namely do to the fact that our homes and infrastructure are not designed to deal with a quake, unlike the West Coast.

Im just glad that we made it out ok. Step up your preps, and you should be good. On a personal note, Ill feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that 'ol Mother Nature has a few more surprises in store for us. Keep prepping.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I think one prepares for all bug IN emergencies and all bug OUT emergencies, as well as for emergencies where you may still have some communications and power, etc. and those where you will be without any comm and power ... and for long term and short term. That about covers it all.

And, no I don't prepare specifically for earthquakes or anything else really. I prepare as above.

I have been through earthquakes much larger than what happened today. Lost a few things off the wall .. that was it. Some think they felt today's earthquake here in WNC, but, I didn't. The dog jumping on my bed would have covered up the quake here.

I was honestly more horrified to hear that people jammed phone lines today as badly as they did on 9/11. That scares me more than an earthquake here in the east.

·
I have control issues
6,051 Posts
Having grown up in northern California, I am MORE than familiar with earthquakes. A 5.8 is kind of "ho-hum" for folks who are used to them. Those East Coasters, however were dealing with something that they had NO familiarity with, so were SERIOUSLY freaking out. That, plus the fact that their buildings are NOT built or retrofitted to specs for withstanding earthquakes, like the buildings in CA are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good. Might just be a wakeup call for allot of people.
Alilttle light went off for me today but not sure what else it will take for most.

Actually a light went off about 2 years ago when the power went out in my neighborhood in the evening. I am an IT guy and was on a support call to india when there was a blackout. I grabbed my BOB, got in my car and drove 20 miles to a location that had power. Most people were walking around my neighborhood like chickens with no heads. I finished the job and drove home (power was restored). talk about mass hysteria in an urban setting- if the power gets pulled at dusk it's going to be a long night.

·
Banned
954 Posts
I didnt feel it.. I am in Indiana.. but it got me thinking too.

100 million people were effected today. WOW.
Just think if it was a big one. How quickly the food would be gone.
The grid would go down...
Panic would set in pretty quickly.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
Earthquakes require extra consideration when prepping.
Securing preps on the shelves, securing the shelves to the walls, etc.
All glass canning containers need bubble wrap, and the heavy stuff goes on the bottom shelves.

I remember the northridge earthquake in 1994... a 6.7
A friend of mine who lived near the epicenter had four 50 gallon water barrels bulldoze their way thirty feet across the cellar floor, demolishing the heater/chimney unit and a good chunk of wall too. They were not secured to the floor.

Also where you place your preps is important.
Store them in the cellar, and they may end up buried outright.

** Also...
In a bad shaker, pain killers and rubbing alcohol can be your best asset.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It made me think about how silly and pointless we make our lives out to be.

We go to work for money to buy things like food and water that were free just a few hundred years ago..

We build massive buildings to house massive powerful corporations that dictate our daily lives.

We have built a machine (hadron colider) that is capable of annihilating the planet we live on.

I begin to wonder just exactly in what way is this an "advancement"?

LOL Imagine an alien civilization way out in the cosmos looking at us and thinking " lol look at these creatures slaving away and killing each other over small pieces of paper"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts