Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's my local newspaper, and not a very reliable one. However, I have read a lot lately about comparisons to the similarity between the fault lines in the Pacific Northwest and in Japan. Earthquakes and volcanoes are my primary concerns while preparing.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reliable or not something is Happening in the North West Coast, there has being Clusters of 4s and 5s all last week.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
same as there has been all along the ring of fire. Lot of pressure building.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,792 Posts
I don't put much stock in predictions of specific dates, or of celestial influences, or of the Mayan calendar. But the chances of a great quake (mag>8) affecting the pacific north west is 100%. This will happen and the chances of it happening within the next 40 yrs is very good.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
I used to live in the Northwest. And i can say that absolutely the same magnitude earthquake could indeed happen, at any moment, with the same effects as the Japanese Earthquake.

The only difference, Japan is better prepared in nearly every way.
What bothers me is the fact that the Seattle area has a potential double whammy scenario. One with the inevitable earthquake, another is the fact that sooner or later Mt. Rainier will erupt. The subsequent pyroclastic flow and lahar would inundate the Seattle metro area. And, points around it for many miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to live in the Northwest. And i can say that absolutely the same magnitude earthquake could indeed happen, at any moment, with the same effects as the Japanese Earthquake.

The only difference, Japan is better prepared in nearly every way.
There's other differences. For starters, they are on two entirely different plate boundary types, and no quakes of consequence have happened on the NWern Pacific Coast.

·
Christian Survivalist
2,632 Posts
There's other differences. For starters, they are on two entirely different plate boundary types, and no quakes of consequence have happened on the NWern Pacific Coast.
Really?

The January, 1700 Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake and Tsunami

Between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM, local time, on January 26th 1700, a great earthquake shook the Pacific Northwest. This quake, with magnitude estimated at 9.0, rocked the region with strong shaking for several long minutes minutes while coastal Washington plummeted as much as 1.5 meters relative to coastal waters.

How is it possible to know that any event on the Cascadia Subduction ever occurred, let alone to place it within one hour of its occurrence 300 years ago? Let the evidence speak for itself and discover an ancient earthquake in the Pacific Northwest.

Source: http://www.pnsn.org/HAZARDS/CASCADIA/cascadia_event.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, in my defense...

In fact, few earthquakes of any kind or size have been recorded along the coastal region of the Pacific Northwest. However, parts of subduction zones in Japan and Chile also appear to have had very low levels of seismicity prior to great subduction earthquakes (Heaton and Kanamori, 1984; Heaton and Hartzell, 1986). Therefore the seismic quiescence observed historically along coastal region of Washington and Oregon does not refute the possibility that an earthquake having a magnitude of greater than 8 could occur there. Heaton and Hartzell (1986) note the problem of incomplete seismic data when comparing one subduction zone with another, but they still conclude that available data support the finding that low levels of seismicity may exist in subduction zones prior to a magnitude 8 earthquake
from http://www.pnsn.org/INFO_GENERAL/NQT/what_causes.html the same website you quoted!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Where would we be if this happened in a half dozen places around the globe, including in the US? Pretty effin bad.
With a weak sun, weak magnetic field, and shifting poles, it appears to be causing tectonic movements not seen in many generations.
One has to think this is just the beginning with more frequent and wide spread events to come.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think we're arguing over modern history and the really old stuff.

The 1700 quake did happen and one of the primary researchers on it found out that the quake actually caused a Tsunami in Japan afterwards. That quake was also much larger, in terms of gross area affected, than the tiny Japanese quake (again, I'm talking about actual size of the land affected, not the measurement of the quake itself). Oddly, all this info is basically coming to light this week: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/1700+tsunami+caused+damage+Japan/4428377/story.html

1 - 20 of 29 Posts