Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
Funny looking front in the link.

Reminds me of a Hobbit home, or TeleTubbies set.

Hoarding, as a human behavior, may be a response to perceived or predicted shortages of specific goods, or …..a compulsive abnormal behavior.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
I have Not seen this link. And I have seen, I thought all of them. But looking at the dates this is a very new site.
The oldest post I saw was in Feb.
I like reading about underground shelters and houses.

But this earthbag system is Not simply Only for underground. Its home page shows quite a few above ground - conventional - designs also. http://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/

I do not like the color pic they gave especially with the bright yellow entrance. A survivalist such as I, would have a camoflaged entrance or at least a dark green color.
That pic alone I suppose would turn off many and does look like a teletubbies set. Not a hobbit house exactly - no round doors.

But any who automatically dismiss an underground house or especially dislike or even ridicule underground shelters such as even an underground Storm/tornado shelter might very well wish they had one someday. Especially if they find themselves in a nightmare scenario of a tornado, forest fire, hurricane, some kind of attack from nuclear etc. Whatever one can imagine.

I have not seen any openly ridicule underground shelters here in this forum although some could be interpreted as scoffing. One guy did say "that I had a hole in the ground" - may he not die in a tornado etc.

Here are new pics of what he was scoffing at > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=52880

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
I like the concept very much. I wonder if the building permits guys would o.k. the building system? Soon enough I believe they won't be a bother though.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
very cool shelter
Since it is an earth shelter it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. And here are a few advantages to underground houses and shelters, even earth bag shelters >

"We believe that when designed and built
properly on suitable sites, Post/Shoring/
Polyethylene, or PSP, underground dwellings
are the finest that can be constructed.
They have 23 distinct advantages over conventional (above ground/eyesore) structures. These are:

1. NO FOUNDATION.
2. LESS BUILDING MATERIAL.
3. LESS LABOR.
4. MOST AESTHETICALLY PLEASING.
5. LESS TAX.
6. WARM IN WINTER.
7. COOL IN SUMMER.
8. BETTER VIEW.
9. BUILT-IN GREENHOUSE.
10. ECOLOGICALLY SOUND.
11. INCREASED YARD SPACE.
12. FALLOUT SHELTER.
13. CUTS ATMOSPHERIC RADIATION.
14. DEFENSIBLE.
15. CONCEALMENT.
16. CLOSER TO SOURCE OF WATER.
17. RELATIVELY FIREPROOF.
18. PIPES NEVER FREEZE.
19. SUPERIOR FLOORING.
20. CAN BE BUILT BY ANYONE.
21. WEATHERPROOF.
22. LESS MAINTENANCE.
23. SOUNDPROOF."

The previous quote is from Mike Oehler's "The $50 and Up Underground House Book" page 10
Link to some pics of Mike Oehler's > http://www.undergroundhousing.com/structures.html

·
I Engineer
52 Posts
cool

I've seen something similar in England I think... They called it the hobbit house and got lots of news coverage. The inside looked really cool to because the beams were not all straight like precut lumber, they were just branches and stuff. I almost want to build just a small one sometime.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
I've seen something similar in England I think... They called it the hobbit house and got lots of news coverage. The inside looked really cool to because the beams were not all straight like precut lumber, they were just branches and stuff. I almost want to build just a small one sometime.
This looks exactly like what you described, is it? >

A hobbit house built in Wales > http://digg.com/d13ELJ

·
Crumbs DM
278 Posts
Really interesting concept. Of course our freedoms don't generally extend to us being able to build our own homes. The government is of course protecting us from ourselves .... and of course allowing us to be easy prey to unscrupulous builders and home inspectors ;)

Of course if TS really does hit the fan ... building regulations and permits may be a moot point :)

<edit> One thing I noticed was that the bulk of these homes are built in areas that have more clement weather than us folks up here in the North. Presumably they aren't suitable for wet/cold climates

·
Registered
483 Posts
Really interesting concept. Of course our freedoms don't generally extend to us being able to build our own homes. The government is of course protecting us from ourselves .... and of course allowing us to be easy prey to unscrupulous builders and home inspectors ;)

Of course if TS really does hit the fan ... building regulations and permits may be a moot point :)

<edit> One thing I noticed was that the bulk of these homes are built in areas that have more clement weather than us folks up here in the North. Presumably they aren't suitable for wet/cold climates
They have a incredibly high r factor(insulation) so they keep very warm but I think extreme cold/thawing could become a problem over time.

As far as building codes, earthbag homes have been approved in several cities/towns all over the country. The easiest solution to have a engineer vouch for the saftey of the building. This will satisfy most building inspectors.

also, I stumbled across this youtube video, pretty interesting for anyone thinking about building there own structure.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
Here's another shelter I found: www.doomers.us/forum2/index.php/topic,33926.0.html

They call it an earthlodge. It's like the Indians built.
I like it. I have seen some like it before but always good to see more pics. ****** were wise in many ways except how to keep their land from being stolen.

Here is another site with a forum also. Although it is a lot more info about underground and hobbit housing for any who might have an aversion to that >

www.countryplans.com/underground.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
water

great plan, but water is missing. Maybe a cistern under the pantry to collect rainwater from the 'roof' would be smart?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Folks, I'm new here so will start off with a comment on building with earth bags. I have just acquired a 60 acre River Valley in Tasmania. The first job was to get to the site where I can build so I have spent the last month hacking a track up the mountain and through the bush.
Having never built anything before,I have been researching on the interweb about alternate building methods, esp those which suit my skill level and finance, which is virtually nil.
I started off with the $50 and up book, then rammed earth, cob and through to earth bags. Seems to me that the earth bag idea really suits as the bags can be filled with just the standard dirt of which there is plenty without having to worry about the clay,sand,dirt ratios for most of the building.
To start, I am building a simple yurt to live in while I get the main project underway which looks like being an earth sheltered or as underground as I can get it earth bag dwelling with cob coating.
I have already got loads of inspiration and incentive from this forum and hope to be able to contribute some progress pics as I go.
Cheers to all, jonnyxx.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts