Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sunspot that flared 3 times earlier this week just unleashed an X7 solar flare. It should miss us completely but a glancing blow is possible around August 11th. Things could've been pretty crazy here if it would've erupted 4-5 days ago when it was almost directly facing us!

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
It will be OK, I promise.................

Reactions: mattbatson

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Robot,
Just passing along info that interests me (and others). I'm into astronomy and radio (I'm a Ham), and hoping to see some Northern Lights down here. No need to be an a$$.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As long as the satellites are safe, we could take countless x7 flares to the face and not a single thing would happen other than perhaps some people in the northern US might see a few auroras they wouldn't otherwise see.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Robot,
Just passing along info that interests me (and others). I'm into astronomy and radio (I'm a Ham), and hoping to see some Northern Lights down here. No need to be an a$$.
Sorry not trying to be. I think there is a new trend for CME "panic". It certainly affects RF, and "could" affect power distribution.

We have "days" notice before charged particles get here, plenty of time to try and protect the grid.

I saw Northern lights here in Richmond in 2003.

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what area would be facing the glancing blow August 11th or is this a stupid question?
That's too much math for me! It's highly unlikely it will even glance us as it's almost out of view of the earth already. It did cause some brief radio blackouts when it happened, mostly HF from what I've read so far.

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robot,
That's about the last time I saw them here too. Slight red glow here and I didn't have a camera that was good for getting any good shots of it. I'm ready (and hoping!) for another decent flare. An X7 is not something I'm hoping for but it would make for an awesome show. Of course, if it happened, I'd be socked in with clouds....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm jealous of you guys that get to see them. Even during the x20+ flares in '03 I wasn't able to see them in my area. Good luck to you for this time around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts