Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
24hourSurviver
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be helpful to buy an Eagle scout book for a guide to general survival western Brevard?

·
Here's a man who stood up
639 Posts
I bought a scout handbook last year.

I noticed mine was missing after four moves and a lot of years go figure.

Yes, a scout handbook will teach you the basics, fire making, knot tying, orientation, shelter, etc.

For the money you cant go wrong.

If you want more detailed survival skills the S.A.S Survival Handbook is hard to beat.

Hope that helps some.

·
Zombie Hunter
635 Posts
Get the original handbook, i think its like pre 1960 or something like that. Has all the info on survival and camping and not all the other fillers. Even has more plant ID info too.

·
Woodland Survivalist
646 Posts
As an Eagle Scout, no. You mean the "Boy Scout Handbook". I think the information is great for anyone who wants a basic knowledge of first aid, wilderness survival, knots, and many other useful techniques that many people do not know.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
The Boy Scout Handbook has some info about camping skills, etc. and lots about Scout traditions, law, oath and motto, etc.
The Boy Scout Fieldbook is much more informative on woodsy things and goes into more detail. The older edition you can find, the better. Newer ones are kind of watered down with the touchy-feely tree hugger stuff.
If you really want to learn about camping skills, volunteer to assist with a Boy Scout troop and go on their campouts. Good units go on an overnighter every month, and have a couple of week long camps each year. Lots of fun, learn alot, and help boys grown up to be good men, too.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
I was in scouts and made it to Eagle scout. It was good times. The Boy Scout Hand book is a good source of info for basic survival. It does cover things like how to make a bow string for fire making, knot tying, basic first aid, shelter making etc. So yes, it would be a good book to add to your library.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
the new ones arent as intricate .
Get an older scout handbook from the mid to late 50's when scouts spent a ton of time in the woods learning outdoor skills.
there are scout troops now that have never been in the woods.
Yep I got an old one dated 1955

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Ed. Volunteer to help out a local scout troop. they can always use the help and you will be learning first hand knowledge with some hands-on experience that is always a much better experience than just reading about it in a book. buy the book, read up, then volunteer and actually get out there in the woods and put those skills to use.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
As an Eagle Scout myself I can say that the Boy Scout handbook is a great beginner book, however I find that military survival books are just as good. However they do lack "philosophy" (Outdoor code), but keep in mind that it is mostly just common sense (Which is an oxymoron nowadays). But one thing that the military books have over the Scout book, there smaller. So if you want all the information in a smaller package, buy a military survival book. But if you want simpler information with moral values incorporated into survival, than I highly suggest the Boy Scout handbook.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The older Boy Scout Handbooks are better then the newer ones. The BSA is now reprinting the original "Handbook for Boys" from around 1919. It is one of the best.
And as many have suggested, volunteer with a local Scout Troop, We need you.
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts