Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience setting up something like the Eagle one for a fiberglass Travel Trailer? I can't rely on trees for an antenna s much of my camping is way down the beach on the Gulf coast. I like the idea of using a 2 " receiver on the trailer to provide an anchor point. Same reason that tripos don't work too well-sand and high winds can mess up things quickly).Thanks for any information. PG

·
Registered
13 Posts
rv hf antenna

here using a shakespeare 393,3 piece,marine hf antenna mounted to rv rear ladder use a flagpole buddy mount system to rear ladder. about 22 to 23 ft tall, antenna tuned with an sgc 100 w auto tuner.works all bands and self contained on rv. down on RI coast right now....made about six hf qso s with KX3.
TNX Butch

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Some friends who go to Az. every winter have that antenna, they are just as strong on 40m as at home.

I use a piece of 2" box 2' long in the receiver, with a 1-1/" pipe flange on 2' of pipe bolted to it, 30' f/g push up mast for my 80m dipole fits in the pipe.

Also have a 1' x 2' 1/4 steel plate with a pipe flange welded to one end. Drive the truck onto it. It's not going anywhere.

If you weld a hinge on it you can raise a pretty huge guyed tower...

·
Banned
6,847 Posts
for my mobile ops, where i can park and put up a commo toc of sorts, i have my 2" tilt up hitch system with a military mast system and antenna mount...with this kit, i can be up and running in minutes, and mount a variety of anetnnas, from j-poles, to scanner, to sloper/nvis/etc....

Attachments

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
I like that tiltup hitch. Simpler even than the steel driveover plate. Once the plate is in position you can't move...

Hmmm, I have a few more feet of 2" box..

·
Registered
748 Posts
The eagle one is a nice antenna, but its nothing more than a telescopic pole with a wire run through it. Your going to need a long wire antenna tuner to make use of it.

If your looking for a quick setup vertical you might look at the Hustler BTV4, 5 or 6. Those are reasonable sized for mounting on a camper/trailer, Can be hinged up when needed and lock down for travel. There are even some commerial and home brew electric push up kits available.
most campers have enough metal to act as a counterpoise or you can run some extra wires around the top if needed.

·
Ambulatory
1,700 Posts
I use a similar 31 ft vertical(fiberglass winsock pole) with a wire taped to the outside at the tip. I attach the pole to the ladder with a couple of small bungee cords and run a 31 foot radial on the ground from a 9:1 Balun Designs unun at the base. A remote LDG auto tuner inside the coach tunes it on all bands 40-6m. It really plays well on 40,30,15, and 17 meters. I can put it up and be on the air in ~10 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts