Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine ordered 5 E-Lander magazines to try in his AR. They came on Saturday, and we have not had a chance to try them yet.
http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/earm30 w.htm

I will give my first impressions here.

First, they appear to have some sort of flat black/dark grey polymer or acrylic finish. I don't know how it will wear, but it looks a whole lot like the finish on the standard CZ75 handguns.

They are heavy. They are steel. Subjectively, they feel several times heavier than my milsurp aluminum magazines and Lancer AWMs. The steel does not flex like the aluminum or the polymer in my other mags.

They come with a white, no-tilt follower. We tried very hard to get the follower to jam in the mag body and were unsuccessful. I have a dummy round that is the maximum OAL for 223/5.56 in my other mags. It fits into this mag just fine.

I have 10 steel L85 magazines that I bought about 10 years ago. I don't use them much, not because there is anything wrong with them, but I just prefer my aluminum milsurps for range work. The L85 mags work just fine in all my ARs. These E-Lander mags resemble the L85 mags in every way except finish and the updated follower.

If you are looking for AR mags and don't want to pay inflated prices, I think that these are a good option for now. They are under $19 each plus shipping.

I will post more after we get back from the range today.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the report. There's a thread in the "magazines" section at www.ar15.com under "Israeli mags". Somebody from The Mako Group posts there. The finish is supposed to be corrsion resistant above milspec. The mags are as good as HK's steel mags, from what I've read. The last I saw those going for was 29 bucks and change at my local gun store. I ordered 30 of them. I figure if I don't like them, I can always sell them and get my money back. Looking forward to the range report. Mako Group seems like an excellent company. They aren't raising their prices, no matter what others are doing. I like dealing with stand up folks.

·
454 Posts
Also free shipping if you use the code. FREE-GRND is the code
Originally Posted By MakoDefense:
Important! When you use the free shipping code on our website, please do not choose a shipping method. If you put in the free shipping code it will not charge for shipping. But if you put in the free shipping code and then chose a shipping method, the cart charges you for shipping.

From the AR thread.

E-Lander Mag weights:
I weighed some magazines (all weighed on the same scale - all off the shelf magazines to be fair). All weights in ounces.

10 rd. Magazines:
3.3 - Aluminum AR Stoner 10 rd.
3.8 - E-Lander steel 10 rd.

20 rd. Magazines:
Aluminum - I did not have one handy.
3.9 - Magpul 20 rd.
4.1 - C Products Steel 20 rd
5.7 - E-Lander Steel 20 rd

30 rd. Magazines:
4.0 - Aluminum GI
4.1 - Lancer L5
5.2 - Magpul Pmag
6.0 - C Products Steel
7.8 - E-Lander steel

40 rd. Magazines:
11.0 - CMMG Steel 40 rd.
10.7 - E-Lander Steel 40 rd

For reference:
11.3 - Steel AK Magazine
7.2 - Bulgarian Bakelite AK-74
6.5 - Tapco AK-74 Polymer
6.5 - vz.58
5.0 - Aluminum G3

As you can see, differences in weight are not really enough to make a big difference between any of the magazines, as far as carrying them goes.

Also this from them.

Update on your E-Lander magazine orders.

We are not answering phones.
Currently, every employee in our NY headquarters is packaging and shipping magazines to fill orders, from the CEO on down. At this point we are not answering the phones, as we are receiving enough calls to keep everyone busy full time just answering the phone. We had to make a choice between taking calls or shipping orders. The vast majority of the calls we have been receiving is from people who are calling to ask whether we do in fact have magazines in stock, and people following up their web order with a call to make sure that their orders are not backordered.

The answer to the questions most asked are:
Yes, we do have magazines in stock, and no one's magazine order is backordered. We are not currently giving estimated ship dates, since that requires pulling up each customer's order information and making an estimate. If we do this for everyone who asks, it will increase the time everyone will have to wait to get their orders shipped.

At this time we are not offering rebuild kits for CA customers. We simply do not have the time. This is something we are looking into for the future.

We are now shipping magazines that are not packaged in retail bags. The bags are included separately (for those who plan to resell the magazines) but packaging each magazine in a poly bag is an extra step that takes time away from the manufacture of magazines.

If you have ordered magazines, the magazines that you ordered are either in our warehouse waiting to be packed and shipped, or somewhere between our warehouse and your address. No dealer/distributor/manufacturer order will take priority over your order. We will not pull the mags that you ordered to ship them to someone else.

If you are planning to order magazines, we have them now - it will not be a backorder. We are receiving constant shipments of magazines from Israel and are packing and shipping thousands of magazines every day.

We have not and will not be raising our prices.

How to contact us:
If you need to contact us, please contact us through email. If you must call, please leave a message. We are responding to email and phone messages, but we may not respond to non-priority messages (i.e. "When will my order ship?") until after you have already received your order.

http://www.themakogroup.com/category_s/119.htm

·
10,548 Posts
Thanks recon! Placed an order on Saturday! Might even have to place another, now that I hear such a "Vote of Confidence".:thumb:

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
the holidays have sucked out all my spending money, but I have bookmarked them. They will get money from me in the future.

Also, Daniel Defense and BCM are not raising prices either. Spikes may or may not have raised prices, but it doesn't look like much and honestly I don't really blame them for a modest price increase as their products have always been top quality for less. Why not charge as much as the big boys when your just as popular nowadays (not to mention they are booked out for builds a year out!).

Guys try to remember which companies are screwing us and which are not. I fully support capitalism and companies like CTD to charge insane amounts of money because stupid people will pay it. But those of us who are actually in the hobby and not just now scared Obama is gonna ban guns should also be good capitalists and take out money to those with better business practices.

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from the range. Between the two of us, we ran two 30-round loads through each of the 5 magazines. There were no problems whatsoever. These magazines worked every bit as good as MagPuls or Lancers.

I even rode the charging handle on the first round to try and get the top round to go cattywampus, and I could not make it malfunction.

I think these mags are good to go. Thinking about ordering a few for myself. :thumb:

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
I wonder what date they were ordered. I am still waiting on some anti-tilt followers ordered from them 12-24 or even a tracking number.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Most people are getting shipped around a week from ordering. These are some decent folks, so I wouldn't worry. I had ordered my mags in two separate orders of 15/30 round mags. The first order didn't have any discount codes and the second or had one, but I screwed up the other. They went ahead and applied them to BOTH orders anyhow. I've been telling all my friends about these guys. I wish they made Mini-14 mags.
Thanks for the report FalPhil. I had read where these mags were easily as good as the HK steel mags. I'm waiting like a kid at Christmas. "Visions of AR mags danced in his head..."

·
10,548 Posts
So what is "E Lander" anyway? Sounds like a Ben Stiller Movie or something NASA would send to land on one of Jupiters Moons.:confused:

·
10,548 Posts
Nah, its mags specifically designed for moon based combat AR's...

V...
That's funny that you mention it, because last night I watched the Movie, "Iron Sky". It's about Nazis hiding on the Dark Side of the Moon, and planing an Invasion of Earth. In the opening scenes we see them use the old Walther P38. Apparently that and STG44s are good for MBC.
Good Movie anyway though, and quite funny at points.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 140 Posts