Survivalist Forum banner

How many pmags should my wife and I dye pink?

• 1 magazine

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • 2 magazines any combination

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 3 magazines any combination

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 4 magazines any combination

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • 1 20 round and 1 30 round

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 1 20 round and 2 30 round

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 20 round and 3 30 round

Votes: 1 4.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many pmags should my wife and I dye pink for her AR?

And lets talk realistic numbers - 1, 2, 3,,, or more?

She has a couple of muddy girl pink camo pmags. These are going to be her first solid pink magazines.

We have a single 20 round gen 3 pmag I would like to dye for her. The rest will be non-windowed 30 round gen 2 and gen 3 pmags.

Article about my wifes rifle - http://www.survivalboards.com/2013-04-10/pink-palmetto-state-armory-m4/

Picture of my wifes rifle

Attachments

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kristy does not know / does not care how many magazines.

I am thinking:

1 - 20 round gen 3
1 - 30 round gen 2
1 - 30 round gen 3

·
Registered
869 Posts
None. Why bother?
Is she really going to say, "I'm out of ammo! Toss me a Pmag! ARGH!! I can't use that one, it's not PINK!"

Want to have some fun? Dye them every color BUT pepto bismol pink. Do some electric blue, some neon green, some blaze orange... ;)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None. Why bother?
Is she really going to say, "I'm out of ammo! Toss me a Pmag! ARGH!! I can't use that one, it's not PINK!"
Its to get her interested in shooting.

Since I built Kristy her own pink m4 she has shot more in the past few months then she has in her entire life.

A pot of water is on the stove, and we have a 8 ounce bottle of Rite liquid dye, fucsia color.

Something to note, the 20 round gen 3 and the 30 round gen 3 have the same follower, base plate and spring.

I thought the 20 round would have a shorter spring than the 30 round. But its the same srping in both magazines.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 4 ounces of dye has been added to a pot of boiling water.

Going to let the water come back up to a boil then add the 3 pmags.

·
it is what it is
3,702 Posts
Kristy does not know / does not care how many magazines.

I am thinking:

1 - 20 round gen 3
1 - 30 round gen 2
1 - 30 round gen 3
if this is your project for her.i would just do the standard 3 mags(same as pistols,1 in,2 back up).pink/black paracord sling,2 mag pouch for her belt(maybe work on a girly looking battle belt).

maybe a couple for use at the range to get scratched up.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Things have not gone very well. The magazines are still black.

About 5 minutes into the boiling of the magazines the other 4 ounces was added to the pot.

After boiling for about 15 minutes, and letting them set in the pot for about 30 minutes, they are still black.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hour and twenty minutes into the project and the magazines show no change in color.

·
Marine Veteran
240 Posts
Things have not gone very well. The magazines are still black.

About 5 minutes into the boiling of the magazines the other 4 ounces was added to the pot.

After boiling for about 15 minutes, and letting them set in the pot for about 30 minutes, they are still black.
You do know you can't dye black mags another color, right?

You wanna dye FDE pmags.

·
Marine Veteran
240 Posts
There's a 20 page thread at ar15.com about using Rit Dye on pmags. Pink isn't gonna happen.

When using dye, you have to have a light base and can only go to a darker color.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
There's a 20 page thread at ar15.com about using Rit Dye on pmags. Pink isn't gonna happen.

When using dye, you have to have a light base and can only go to a darker color.
I was kind of scratching my head on this one too but thought maybe Kev knew something I didn't. I know a lot but I don't know it all, but that just wasn't adding up to me.

Im with Tackleberry2000 on the dura coat idea. I think it would work better especially it they were scuffed a bit on the exterior with a wire brush. That would be more expensive though.

What about taking the mags a part and then dipping the mag body and floor plate in one of those "hydrographic Camo Dips...you know the sheeting that you cut to the size of the object your dipping, then lay it on the surface of water in a plastic tote and then dip your gun part into it coating the part with the film. Surely this could be found in camo pink (like realtree I think it is?) or just straight up pink. That's should make her a Happy Camper!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts