Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Naomi Wolf’s story is similar to my experience. I used to be ambivalent about guns and then went full anti-gun because I was ignorant. I don’t profess to be a gun expert now but back then I was surrounded by people that kept telling me how evil guns were. I decided to research guns and took a hunter safety course and discovered that everyone in my social circle was full of it. Yes, guns are dangerous but firearm safety and education gave me a healthy respect for guns and the need for 2A. What I’ve found is there’s a LOT of willful ignorance among the anti-gun crowd. Their solution is that if you remove the gun you remove societal problems, which is the big lie that Leftists keep telling everyone.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,784 Posts
Back in the day, I used to be anti-gun. Seriously.

But after a while, I couldn't reconcile what I thought about guns with various facts out in the world. Three such arguments that resonated with me were A) How has Chicago's gun laws helped to reduce gun violence there? and B) If you take away the guns from law-abiding citizens, only criminals will have them, and C) it's the first thing dictators do to solidify their rule, i.e., take away the guns.

I figured I couldn't really have an opinion on guns if I didn't have one, and since things were looking like they were going to hell in a handbasket, I bought a Springfield Armory XD-9.

The rest is history.

Can people change their minds on this? Yes--they can.

How do I know this? Because I did.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to not push too hard. Just make the arguments in a calm, reasoned manner. Don't say "WAKE UP!" or "Come and Take Them!" Such things just inflame the other side, and leaves them no room to change their view.

Today, I'm a Life Member of the NRA, I have too small a safe, I reload for pistol, rifle, and shotgun. I cast my own bullets, powdercoat them, and shoot my own reloads. I shoot trap. Nobody today would characterize me as anything like anti-gun. That ship has sailed.
IMO, the best approach, should a discussion with an anti-gun person ensue, is to just be calm. Say things like "Well, we'll have to disagree on this. The reasons why I don't agree are A, B, C." Whatever the arguments are.

And then let it drop. It'll take time. You're not going to convince an anti-gun person in one sitting. It takes time, because being anti-gun is part of a person's identity, along with other things that usually go along with it.

Consider this for a second: our friends are people who usually think like we do. That's a big reason why people gravitate toward each other. The opinions tend to be the same, the politics the same....

What happens when you decide to change your mind on a tenet of who you are? You threaten the relationships you have with your friends. That's not a trivial cost, though over time that can can be dealt with.

So when you ask a person to change their view on guns, you're asking them to take a BIG risk with their social life. It's why I advocate the soft approach--the hard approach will likely just cause them to dig in their heels. Instead I'll say something like "I began to change my view on this when I realized that the places with the most stringent gun control seem to have the highest rates of crime. I realized it disadvantaged the law-abiding, and helped criminals."

That's it. You're not going to change someone's mind overnight. They need time to fit it in with the rest of their beliefs, and to consider how they'll present this to their friends, if they do. In some cases, it's hidden from friends.

But all of it takes time.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Always glad to hear when someone sees the light. Unfortunately it also goes the opposite way. Know who use to have an A rating from the NRA? Kathy Hochul…. The current governor of NY.

Three elected officials with single message for SCOPE members: We support the 2nd Amendment

From the 2012 article.

Hochul said she comes from a family of gun-rights advocates. She has two brothers in Maryland, she said, who are expert marksmen. While Hochul said she isn't big into hunting or target shooting herself, she has taken safety courses and knows how to handle a firearm.

"When a bill comes up that affects your 2nd Amendment rights, I’m on your side," Hochul said

How far she has strayed.

18,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Always glad to hear when someone sees the light. Unfortunately it also goes the opposite way. Know who use to have an A rating from the NRA? Kathy Hochul…. The current governor of NY.

Three elected officials with single message for SCOPE members: We support the 2nd Amendment

From the 2012 article.

Hochul said she comes from a family of gun-rights advocates. She has two brothers in Maryland, she said, who are expert marksmen. While Hochul said she isn't big into hunting or target shooting herself, she has taken safety courses and knows how to handle a firearm.

"When a bill comes up that affects your 2nd Amendment rights, I’m on your side," Hochul said

How far she has strayed.
While representing her Congressional district, her constituents in Hamburg, NY and surrounding areas, were and still strong 2A supporters. Her positions changed when her constituency began to include the leftist, inner city strongholds of NYC, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also think another lie that is perpetuated is the notion that all people on the left hate guns and all on the right embrace 2a. I know for a fact that there are left leaning gun owners out there. Likewise, my sister in law is a conservative and she absolutely hates guns, despite growing up in a gun owning family. Statistically, people on the left are more likely to be anti-gun but there are plenty who aren’t.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used to watch Bannon's show regularly. On his show, during the height of the Covid lockdowns, Dr. Naomi Wolf said the difference between fully locked down Australia and the mostly not locked down United States was the 2nd amendment. In Australia tyrants can move fast because there are no repercussions. In the United States our "leaders" don't know how far they can go so they test and push.

Jordan Peterson speaking to Joe Rogan, albeit about Canada.

Rogan repeatedly asked how things got to such a point in Canada. He says bewildered, “I just don’t understand how it gets to the point where –”

“Things get to terrible places one tiny step at a time,” responds Peterson.

He explained, “If I encroach on you and I’m sophisticated about it, I’m going to encroach 2 millimeters. I’m going to encroach right to the point where you start to protest. Then I’m going to stop. Then I’m going to wait. Then you’re going to calm down, and I’m going to encroach again right to the point where you protest.”

“Then I’m going to stop, then I’m going to wait. And I’m just going to do that forever,” continued Peterson.

“Before you know it, I’m going to be back three miles from where you started, and I’ll have done this one step at a time. Then you’ll go, ‘Oh, how did I get here?’ and the answer was, well, ‘I pushed you a little further than you should’ve gone and you agreed. And so then I pushed you again, and you agreed,’” said Peterson.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
IMO, the best approach, should a discussion with an anti-gun person ensue, is to just be calm. Say things like "Well, we'll have to disagree on this. The reasons why I don't agree are A, B, C." Whatever the arguments are.

And then let it drop. It'll take time. You're not going to convince an anti-gun person in one sitting. It takes time, because being anti-gun is part of a person's identity, along with other things that usually go along with it.

Consider this for a second: our friends are people who usually think like we do. That's a big reason why people gravitate toward each other. The opinions tend to be the same, the politics the same....

What happens when you decide to change your mind on a tenet of who you are? You threaten the relationships you have with your friends. That's not a trivial cost, though over time that can can be dealt with.

So when you ask a person to change their view on guns, you're asking them to take a BIG risk with their social life. It's why I advocate the soft approach--the hard approach will likely just cause them to dig in their heels. Instead I'll say something like "I began to change my view on this when I realized that the places with the most stringent gun control seem to have the highest rates of crime. I realized it disadvantaged the law-abiding, and helped criminals."

That's it. You're not going to change someone's mind overnight. They need time to fit it in with the rest of their beliefs, and to consider how they'll present this to their friends, if they do. In some cases, it's hidden from friends.

But all of it takes time.
Couldn't agree more. Often times 2A proponents get in their own way with the rhetoric and hysterics. Most anti-gun or apathetic-gun people don't get enough exposure to the level headed majority of gun owners.

18,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I read that when first published in 2011, and I just reread it.

There are some serious mischaracterizations within the article, with some mischaracterizations from notable omissions of fact, or half-truths if you will.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Okay? so one out of thousands maybe tens of thousands of leftists in academia see the 2A in a new light. I suppose that's a good thing...

The first person through the door of the LGS Monday morning looking to buy a gun is a lib who got mugged over the weekend. I know, it's an old joke...

LOL It's gotten pretty bad when you feel you may have to buy a gun to protect yourself from the policies you support...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Okay? so one out of thousands maybe tens of thousands of leftists in academia see the 2A in a new light. I suppose that's a good thing...
I don’t know about that. There’s tons of people leaving the Dem party and have been since 2016. When I used to vote Dem I was more of a JFK Dem back when they had some semblance of sanity. Now, the far Left has taken over and they’re completely insane. I would even say that the Republican Party today is like the Democratic Party from years ago. After the ****show riots I’m willing to bet a ton of former anti-gun liberals ran out and bought guns. You’re also seeing people from the black, hispanic and Asian communities voting Republican now and I’d bet a lot of them bought guns too

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’ve found, too, that many people on the left are very inconsistent with their views and have an authoritarian streak. And they’re often oblivious that they’re authoritarian.

case in point, I know a woman who is a Leftist. She’s a really nice person and has the best intentions but she’s misinformed on a lot of issues or chooses not to understand others viewpoints. She listens to NPR all the time if that’s any indication. Anyway, she was going on about how AR15’s should be banned but said that would never happen because of state’s rights.

anyway, I digress. My point being that you can talk calmly with people you don’t agree with but some are unreachable and are so entrenched in their worldview that you can’t convince them on any topic

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I didn't think it was possible for a diehard lefty like Wolf to change her mind on something so core, so centrally defining to the Left as gun control. Maybe there's some hope.
There's always hope. I can accept the happy medium and it’s easy to use religion and the 2A as wedges into the corrupted, leftist (democratic) ideology, even if they’re small wedges. I honestly don't associate or have any antigun-liberal "friends", but I have worked with some in the past.

I had three black women working for me when I was in the military; they were all DA civilians, all three well educated (masters degrees), very professional, all three were prior-service, two were retired military. All three were democrats to the core, one had worked with the local NAACP chapter.

However, all three were pretty religious to the point they disagreed with some democratic positions. They weren’t antigun, but they were smart enough to know they didn’t have an opinion other than voting for democrats who hated the 2A and guns…until I took them shooting for a little team building. They absolutely loved it.

All three went out and bought a handgun at a minimum (one also bought an AR15). Two applied for carry concealed permits and both signed up for a carry concealed class. We had some good discussions and while I wasn’t going to turn them “red”, they acknowledged they were far more conservative on some issues, to include their new perspectives on gun ownership, gun rights, and women-empowerment for self-defense.

I was their boss, a white guy, conservative (supporting Trump during his first campaign), listened to Rush Limbaugh in my office, and had an open-door policy on debating any topic. I loved my “office wives” and they were excellent to work with, extremely competent, always professional, could handle my humor, and I backed them on all their instigation-findings.

You may not change their outlook on everything, but those willing to listen and competent enough to logically discuss some issues…you can have an impact, even if small.

ROCK6

21 - 40 of 43 Posts