Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed a wood stove in my house, which has been a goal for a while now. I have heard you can cook on these stoves, but mine is fairly small as it is one of the new efficiency stoves. Not a lot of room on top to put a pan to cook on.

Then I had a thought, what about getting a good bed of coals and using a dutch oven in the stove, right in the firebox. Has anyone ever tried this and how did it turn out?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
I've used them in a bed of coals in the charcoal grill. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a woodstove as long as you can regulate the bed of coals to give the proper heat. The downside is opening the stove indoors and releasing CO. Keep that to a minimum and it might be a really good cooking method.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I strongly urge you not cook inside the fireplace. You have a lot of factors to consider.

Do you have any pics of your stove? Mine is an energy efficient one too. I found that I was able to cook on it's limited top. If you get a dutch over, you can leave it right on top.

·
Registered
33,244 Posts
I just recently installed a wood stove in my house, which has been a goal for a while now. I have heard you can cook on these stoves, but mine is fairly small as it is one of the new efficiency stoves. Not a lot of room on top to put a pan to cook on.

Then I had a thought, what about getting a good bed of coals and using a dutch oven in the stove, right in the firebox. Has anyone ever tried this and how did it turn out?
Yes, I use the Dutch oven #8 for that very reason, the larger ones just won't work in those wood stoves, pleanty of size to make a meal for 3-4 people, or a nice con bread or whatever.

Just like you said, I just get a good bed on coals after I take out the log rack and it works great. I a big believer that if should have 4-5 ways to cook and that includes inside cooking.

If you have enough room on top to set a small frying pan you can make your pancakes, biscuits etc. I can even boil water on the top of mine, usually not a rolling boil but enough to boil eggs.

I've been taking pictures and wanting to do a thread on this but I haven't gotten around to it.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Yes inside is ok just make sure you have a way to get it back out. welding gloves work fine for me.

Mine is pretty big and is flat on top so I cook right on it but mother in law's woodstove is a fancy decorative one. She just uses baking sheets on top to make the surface wide enough to hold a pot and stokes the fire real good.

I made a sheet metal box with no bottom for mine to use as an oven (works great) and I imagine it would work just fine on her baking sheets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts