Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the world of big wagon cattle outfits, a cook was hired more for his ability to drive a chuck wagon pulled by a team of draft horses more than for his cooking skills. Chances are that when he cooked, he used “Dutch ovens.” These were cast-iron pots with lids that came in various sizes and could be used over an open fire. They were non-breakable and easy to transport.
http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/dutch_oven_cooking.htm

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I love to cook. I've bought the fancy pots and pans. But over the years I've given them up for the old tried and true cast iron. Nothing cooks better. I've got pieces that have been in my family for generations. You just can't reproduce that overnight.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I was shopping for a Dutch Oven today. They looks I got!

"cast iron?!? we don't get many people asking much any more."

one guy showed me a Paderno 4 quart soup pot. nice pot but 1/16" stainless steel does not a Dutch Oven make.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bought a 9 quart dutch oven at Mejier's on sale. I have to break it in but can't wait for that first cobbler!

Bobo

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was shopping for a Dutch Oven today. They looks I got!

"cast iron?!? we don't get many people asking much any more."

one guy showed me a Paderno 4 quart soup pot. nice pot but 1/16" stainless steel does not a Dutch Oven make.
I wouldnt mind a quarter inch cast stainless steel dutch oven, as long as someone else was paying for it... Check out www.harborfreight.com if you have one close to you so much better! They have a very nice one, and dont let the cheap price fool you I have one and love it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Le Creuset and I have two cast iron dutch ovens and I'll take the dutch ovens anytime. One even has a high rimmed lid so I can cook biscuits on top and the beef stew inside. It has three prongs on the bottom for putting that baby directly into the coals if a tripod isn't handy! Got that one in Oklahoma when I used to live on a cattle ranch.

Cowgirl up! Yehaw!

·
Registered
12 Posts
say what? Cast iron duch ovens are heavy and bulky and break easy when dropped. Granted they are not as fragile as glass but castiron is the most fragile metal cookware there is. I first learned to cook in one when I was 9 years old, 41 years ago.
I agree if dropped they can break but if handled carefully these can last a long long time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts