Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dutch Oven Cooking
I have an old dutch oven with no legs, so I was able to cook this on my gas stove top. But it can just as easily be done on a grill or in a firepit with any deep cast iron skillet w/ lid. It doesn’t require a lot of attention and only takes an hour to an hour and a half to prepare.

This recipe/meal is a variation of a Chicken Paprikosh dish I learned years ago.

Take a cup of (sweet) chopped/diced onion and sauté it with 2 tbsp of oil.
Add some garlic and course ground pepper to your liking.
1 lb of chicken (-boneless thighs) and pan sear with onions -
½ cup of white cooking wine –
Simmer for a bit so the flavors blend and it creates a very flavorful broth/stock
-next added
*2 tablespoons (or more) of curry powder
1 tablespoon of basil – I used 5 fresh leaves so I’m not sure how much I had.
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 cup of chopped bell pepper
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1 cup of chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 cup of rice
Add rice into mixture and cook until almost done.
Then add 10 – 16 oz of sour cream depending on how much you like. Let it cook down some then serve

*here is where this is dish can take on any flavor you want to give it. The traditional recipe calls for paprika but I started using curry and liked it better. I use yellow curry but a spicier red curry would give it a great Thai flavor and use a couple different vegetables like green onions and pea pods maybe bamboo shoots etc…at this point you can turn this dish into almost anything you like by adding a main ingredient. Give it a southwest flair with some cumin and cilantro, whatever you feel like.

I used to make this with bow tie pasta and it was really good but we have been trying to eat more rice and less pasta the past couple years. You don’t have to cook the rice in the dish. It can be cooked separate and then served as a side or spoon the meal over top of the rice. I just add it in while cooking for expediency purposes and not wanting to clean another pot. PLUS – I’m a big fan of one pot meals like this, and chili, soup etc…

-you can us any kind of chicken you like but I use boneless thighs for this and they cook up great. They are right sized and very tender. The little extra dark meat gives off a lot of broth and flavor. After the chicken has simmered for and partially cooked through I cut the pieces into to more bite size portions. You can use any kind of bird in this and even rabbit or squirrel.

If any of you try it I hope you enjoy it too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have a very small dutch oven that has legs. i have made something similar to this recipe. place the contents in then cover. place in the middle of the burn spot. cover with twigs piled over the oven. paper to light and then i let the small camp fire go. sometimes depending on what i am making i will place the oven over the coals and do it that way.

1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 cup rice
1 bell pepper
half a cup of button mushrooms
a few leaves of basil cut in small pieces
a few sprinkled thyme leaves
optional i boil an egg to make a hard boiled egg in the dutch oven with the other stuff then add the whites cut up to the mix after i remove the oven from the fire.
quarter cup of onion
and if i feel like it some cheese sprinkled over the top.

half of a cup of rice is enough for one serving.
sometimes half of a cup of peas

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's a new one for me. I,ll try it. I do a lot of dutch oven cooking , this fall and winter on ATV trips they get peed if i don't bring it. I,am a meat man for sure if ya not a vegite try this. Half pac hickory smoked bacon in the bottom of hot oven fry till 80% done then i add my bambi about one large quart bag and fry up till about 80% done, then throw in two hand fulls of taters cubed to be fryed a little in the bacon grease. When they start to soften i pour two cans of beef broth in and simmer for 5 min. then a can of carrots, corn, diced maters, mushrooms and at the end i chop up a bell pepper and or hot pepper to and throw in. put top on and add coals sit back for about 45 min to an hour. Hot sauce is a must, maybe. Sounds like crap tastes like heaven. I use the canned things cause it cut,s the cooking time about 30 min worth. I,am gona try your recipe sounds great i love veggies to. Have ya tried peach cobbler yet lord it will blow ya socks off. I have three ovens now and really like to use them. :thumb: My bad forgot to add drain all juice outa all can item,s.

·
Registered
391 Posts
actually sounds pretty good too.

i tried to make cornbread but did not have any milk. so i use a can of beer instead of milk. let it cook up. could not get the lid off. it was like concrete hard. took the hammer and hit it real hard. the outside was solid hard but the inside was soft and delicious.

·
Sky Soldier
338 Posts
I bought Dutch oven years ago and cooked elk stew in it once, I burnt one half of the stew and the other half was mush I figured the Dutch oven just wasn’t for me. I didn’t even bother cleaning the oven it sat for a while and eventually was relegated the back of a shelf in a storage shed.
2005 I was camping in a state park and attended a Dutch Oven cooking class mainly for the samples. The couple that instructed the class cooked as they talked and had 8 ovens going before it was all over. The simple way they conveyed the possibilities inspired me to try it again. I pull my old rust and dust covered oven out and decided to give ovens a try again.
At the class I told the couple about my neglected oven, figuring I would have to use some serious elbow grease and maybe even have to replace it. The couple explained an alternate method that sounded promising. This method was a little slower but does a great job on removing moderate to heavy rust. In a time span of 24 to 48 hours the rust is consumed through a chemical reaction between alfalfa hay and the white vinegar.
I used a large non metallic tub (Rubbermaid storage container) some alfalfa hay and white vinegar. First place a inch layer of alfalfa hay in the bottom of the tub. Second I placed the rusted oven and a couple of old frying pans in on top of the bed of alfalfa and continued layering the alfalfa about an inch over the top of the iron and packing inside the cast also. Then I poured the Vinegar in till it covered the alfalfa I covered it with a lid and let the cast set in the tub for 48 hours. Afterward I took in out of the tub and sprayed it off with a hose. All scrubbing was done with a dishwashing brush and a little dawn soap. The cast looked new it was a raw gun metal grey. I couldn’t believe my eyes the cast was hand dried, lightly oiled and place on the BBQ grill, after it was completely dry it was re-oil with peanut oil and reapplied to the grill. Later it was further seasoned with lard.
That class that rekindled my interest in Dutch Ovens changed cooking for me it offer me option which I never considered. I became a little Dutch Oven happy after that, buying more ovens, accessories and I cooked in the oven every chance I got for a while.

·
Sky Soldier
338 Posts
Quick Chilli Pie
I didn't invent it, but its not a hard recipe and it is good.

Serves 5 in my house.

2 lbs of ground buffalo or Hamburger
1 medium onion chopped
1 small call of green chillis
2 tablespoons of chilli powder
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of cayenne
3 tablespoons of chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt

Brown burger in size 12 oven, stir in above ingredients before burger is brown.

Two cans of bush medium heat chilli beans
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of tomatos diced

After burger is brown add above ingredients, simmer

1 pack of cornbread

After ingredients simmer add one package of cornbread, batter acording to package pour on top of oven and cook till bread is done.

serve.

I made some the other nite it was 17 degrees out so a few more coals were required.

The challenge of cooking in the winter is seeing what you got. Just let her buck until you smell the bread with the lid closed.

Even a small reflector speeds up the cooking process

1 - 9 of 9 Posts