Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I definitely have a lot to learn, but I used my dutch oven tonight for the first time. Now I am hooked! I tried it in an open fire, once there were only coals left. Believe it or not, I was trying to make brownies. The first attempt, I really burned the crap out of the brownies. lol The second try, only the bottom was burned. By the third attempt, I actually had edible brownies! The moral to this story is: never give up. :)

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
This is one piece of gear that I really like.
I notice some newer ones don't have a good concave top to hold the coals, but some folks can cook just as good in a dutch oven as most folks can in a regular one.
Haven't tried brownies, but my peach cobbler ain't half bad.:)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Dutch oven seems like an extremely versatile cooking device. I am mostly interested in learning how to make different kinds of breads and also some desserts. In an emergency situation (like a power outage) I would like to make some foods by scratch, as opposed to just warming up already cooked foods. Many people use charcoal briquettes, but I would prefer using hot coals from a fire. I made the brownies in an 8 X 8 pan. I then placed the pan inside the Dutch oven. I also had something inside the Dutch oven to elevate the pan off the bottom. The most difficult part is learning how to regulate the temperature by the quantity and placement of the coals, but I suppose that comes with practice.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one piece of gear that I really like.
I notice some newer ones don't have a good concave top to hold the coals, but some folks can cook just as good in a dutch oven as most folks can in a regular one.
Haven't tried brownies, but my peach cobbler ain't half bad.:)
Hi Ammo,

Peach cobbler sounds really good. Do you use a recipe?

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Reactions: Ammo and Greta

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Hi Ammo,

Peach cobbler sounds really good. Do you use a recipe?
Basic.. A little juice from the canned peaches, in the bottom, put in a can of biscuits, Flatten, butter, brown sugar, Cinnamon, (honey sometimes), dump in the canned peaches, a couple of cans usually.
Put on the coals (coals on top also). Slow cook seems better.
It will be close to ready when the crust rises to the top.
I have used Bisquik, by mixing it up with juice from the canned peaches.

Good links eeyore..thanks.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Ammo, are you saying that the biscuits rise (through the peaches) and the peaces settle in the middle?

You two are welcome

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
For baking things like brownies or biscuts, I heat the dutch oven in the fire, then take it off the fire, put what I am baking in, put the lid on, then only put coals on top. The iron stays hot enough to cook from the bottom. If I do in on the coals, I burn the heck out of baked goods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts