Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
life h4x0r
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I'm new to the forums here. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and the area of Phx I live in is one more prone to flash floods and dust storms. After being outside during the recent dust storm that hit us, I've decided to make up a GHB for if I ever have to spend the night in my truck, get caught in a dust or heavy monsoon storm, or if I need to walk home any reasonable distance for some arbitrary reason. I was wondering if anyone could help me put together a dust storm/monsoon specific GHB (since that is what I would most likely need it for). Below is a list of things I have so far:

-Camelbak Cordura with MOLLE all over it (i took the bladder out, i use water bottles. Don't want nasty camelbak water sitting there for a long time)

-Camelbak 36oz water bottle, I'll most likely get one more
-First aid kit (with everything you'd expect, plus burn gel, quick clot, sting wipes, and tweezers for cactus)
-2 chem glow sticks
-Compass
-50 feet of 550 paracord
-2 good quality carabiners
-2 MREs
-2 Clif bars
-Weatherproof matches, steel wool, mini Bic lighter, and cotton balls with petrolium jelly
-CRKT M16 folding knife
-Big ass bowie knife strapped to the outside of the bag
-LED flashlight with spare batteries
-Reusable poncho
-Spare house key
-Beanie hat
-Kefeyah (head wrap for dust)
-Pair of socks
-Hair ties (I have long hair, hehe)
-Pen, pencil and notepad
-Big black trash bag
-3 Ziploc bags
-Pack of chewing gum

I may be forgetting a few items. And I will be picking up a whistle, and putting a spare $5 bill in the bag too. Once again, any suggestions are appreciated :)

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
As a fellow PHX er I thnk youi forgot the shovel to move Tons of dust that came with the last one:thumb: It took me three day to cleanup after the last one.

·
Banned
51 Posts
wel i dontknow much about dust stoms but i have been threw alot of floods in south texas...and i would say bug spray is a forgotten item ..mosquitossuck and carry west nile ect...also a signal device something bright and that can move also some good rope and life jacket..the rope is to tie your family together so yall tay together and life jackets to stay afloat.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i've never been a full-fledged dust storm but i've been in enough areas on windy days that kick dust up in your eyes to have a general idea.

Wearing long clothes is more comfortable, the wind should mitigate any "overheating." I actually feel cooler wearing long clothes in that situation. Wearing dust goggles makes life a lot more comfortable, most have screen vents for circulation. There are some good surplus dust goggles to be had for 20-30 bucks. Wearing the schemagh or that Kefeyah (which i assume is similar) would be good. The only problem is if there are harmful chemicals in the air.

·
life h4x0r
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well a kefeyah is just another work for shemagh. They do a pretty good job of keeping dust out of your face, and you can even pour water on them and wrap them around your head to keep cool. I would actually recommend them to anyone living in the desert. They don't take up much space, and its nothing but a sheet of cloth so they have multiple other potential uses. But I'm not worried about chemicals, dust storms are just dust and dried plants. I am however looking at goggles currently, specifically smaller ones that I can fit in my bag.

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts
Hey y'all, I'm new to the forums here. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and the area of Phx I live in is one more prone to flash floods and dust storms. After being outside during the recent dust storm that hit us, I've decided to make up a GHB for if I ever have to spend the night in my truck, get caught in a dust or heavy monsoon storm, or if I need to walk home any reasonable distance for some arbitrary reason. I was wondering if anyone could help me put together a dust storm/monsoon specific GHB (since that is what I would most likely need it for). Below is a list of things I have so far:

-Camelbak Cordura with MOLLE all over it (i took the bladder out, i use water bottles. Don't want nasty camelbak water sitting there for a long time)

-First aid kit (with everything you'd expect, plus burn gel, quick clot, sting wipes, and tweezers for cactus)
-2 chem glow sticks
-Compass
-50 feet of 550 paracord
-2 MREs
-2 Clif bars
-Weatherproof matches, steel wool, mini Bic lighter, and cotton balls with petrolium jelly
-CRKT M16 folding knife
-Reusable poncho
-Spare house key
-Beanie hat
-Pair of socks
-Pen, pencil and notepad
-Big black trash bag
-3 Ziploc bags
-Pack of chewing gum

I may be forgetting a few items. And I will be picking up a whistle, and putting a spare $5 bill in the bag too. Once again, any suggestions are appreciated :)
I would defiantly have a large bottle of VISINE and a small bag of hard candy to keep your mouth moist.

·
Registered
676 Posts

-2 chem glow sticks
-Compass
-50 feet of 550 paracord
-2 MREs
-2 Clif bars
-CRKT M16 folding knife
-Reusable poncho
-Spare house key
-Beanie hat
-Pair of socks
-Pen, pencil and notepad
-Big black trash bag
-3 Ziploc bags
-Pack of chewing gum

Maybe I missed it but wouldn't you want eye goggles and particle masks?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks like you got most things covered. I would throw in some sunscreen and an unactivated all day bus/light rail pass. The bus pass is not really storm gear but more general emergency. I would suggest if caught in one of our storms is to pull off the road and wait it out. In my experiences, Phoenix motorists actually drive worse when the weather gets bad. If you've lived hear long enough I think you know what I'm talking about. The brunt of the storms doesn't seem to last that long. Don't forget the "stupid motorist law", if you get stuck trying to cross flooded streets after they've been barricaded your on the hook for the bill.

21,494 Posts
We do floods and rains alot down here. A lot of times for us it is not so much the exiting car washed away stuff (It does happen though) but more the road is floooded and I have to spend the night in front of the service station or on the side of the road[

Dust storms you are on your own.

Put some cash money (I have about $100) and ID in the bag.

A sleeping bag or something like that would be nice

More for the car but I have a tarp and a fold out seat in mine. Being trapped in a car in the rain for more than a day will do your head in really fast.

If you have electric windows a way of breaking glass to get out of your car suddenly turned boat.

I like electrical tape for just about everything.

A way to make coffee or tea if you drink it.

I like to have a reflective cone thing near my car if it is parked at night. Just a little fold up one. Even be worthwhile for camping on the side of the road.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Yeah, Shmegah and goggles is what I was thinking. A boonie hat is more important than a beanie, keep the sun off. Also a regular bandana. WATER- more than 36 oz. Water tablets. Bug juice. Poncho fine for tent/shade but really need a rain jacket in the monsoon storms Also a big bowie knife? Almost everyone in AZ has a pistol or better, I'd recomend better You dont need no CCW anymore!! =) 9mm or better for javelina, feral dogs, desperate people... 9mm and 357 goes farther more accurately than 45 trajectory Important in desert Canals, Salt R. etc routes of travel. WATER is key

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
from phoenix as well, as i'm typing right now, the wind are picking up and it's getting dusty-

-goggles (the skiing type is good for circulation and protection, get it in clear for night use and one that fit over sunglasses for day use)
-dust mask/painter's mask from home depot
-sun hoodie (patagonia sells them)
-get a ccw permit and carry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts