Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read that you should only store canned foods for 1 year, but that is the manufacturer stating that ( so they can rotate stock and make more sales)
anyone know how long you can REALLY store canned foods for?
MRE can be stored for years, any other long storage items i should have on my list?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There really is no set answer. The cans are lined with a thin coat of plastic that keeps the inside from rusting. If the can gets dented, it could break the plastic seal and ruin the food in just a few months. If the can isn't significantly dented and there is no rust in or out of the can, it should be ok to eat for at least 5 years or more. You might lose some color, flavor, and vitamin content, but it won't hurt you. Of course there absolutely must be a vacuum on the can and the food must smell and look like it should. If the can is swelled out it could kill you if you eat it. Food canned in glass will last for an extremely long time if kept dry and dark, probably 50 years or more. I think the reason for this is because there is glass around the food instead of plastic.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
Which cans have you found that only have a shelf life of a year? Most have a shelf life of approximately 2.5 yrs.

What you may be referring to is high acid foods. High acid foods may only last a year, but in the end, you can generally trust the shelf life printed on the can to be very conservative. If it says 2 yrs, it will probably last for longer.

Low acid foods last the longest. Meat (surprisingly) has the longest shelf life. There was an instance of canned meat lasting 118 years. Of course, modern canning techniques may not enable our food to last quite that long, but meats will outlive most of what you store.

XS29L is spot on. Once food "expires" (according to its shelf life), it is not necessarily moldy or full of bacteria. It has merely lost some of its nutritional content.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
There are actually documented cases of canned goods remaining safe to eat for decades, even 100 years. Here's a famous example I've posted a couple times already.....
http://preparedness.families.com/blog/a-surprising-story-of-100-year-old-meat

A Surprising Story of 100-Year-Old Meat
by Marily | More from this Blogger

14 Feb 2007 06:32 PM

Still not sure you want to store canned foods for years on your shelves for emergency preparedness? Would you guess that a can of meat could last more than 100 years? Perhaps this story will convince you of the long shelf life of canned foods.

Canned foods were first introduced at the turn of the 19th century. It was a revolutionary concept--to be able to store perishable foods in containers without refrigeration. One of the things that really encouraged their use was the practicality of canned foods in ships for long voyages. In the 1820's Sir William Edward Parry took two voyages to the Northwest Passage. Along with him Parry took some canned foods. One four-pound can of roasted veal was brought on both ships and recovered as an artifact of the expeditions. It was kept in a museum until 1938 when it was opened and analyzed.

Shocking to all, this meat was found to be still edible! Laboratory tests showed that the meat still had most of its nutritive qualities and was still of good quality. This meat was fed to a cat which ate it happily and showed no poor side effects after eating it. For the original story, click here.

Does this mean that your canned foods can last 118 years? Probably none of us are brave enough (or will last long enough) to find out. Still, this story proves that canned foods, especially those low in acid like meats, can last long enough to prove very useful for emergency situations.

·
Registered
695 Posts
some canned food has a best before date stamped on it, I just bought salmon that has a bb date of 2014.
if there is no date or i cant figure it out, i mark on the can the date i bought it, then i will give it a few years. most of my canned goods seem to have 2-3 yr bb dates, but they really do keep longer than that.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
There are actually documented cases of canned goods remaining safe to eat for decades, even 100 years. Here's a famous example I've posted a couple times already.....
http://preparedness.families.com/blog/a-surprising-story-of-100-year-old-meat

A Surprising Story of 100-Year-Old Meat
by Marily | More from this Blogger

14 Feb 2007 06:32 PM

Still not sure you want to store canned foods for years on your shelves for emergency preparedness? Would you guess that a can of meat could last more than 100 years? Perhaps this story will convince you of the long shelf life of canned foods.

Canned foods were first introduced at the turn of the 19th century. It was a revolutionary concept--to be able to store perishable foods in containers without refrigeration. One of the things that really encouraged their use was the practicality of canned foods in ships for long voyages. In the 1820's Sir William Edward Parry took two voyages to the Northwest Passage. Along with him Parry took some canned foods. One four-pound can of roasted veal was brought on both ships and recovered as an artifact of the expeditions. It was kept in a museum until 1938 when it was opened and analyzed.

Shocking to all, this meat was found to be still edible! Laboratory tests showed that the meat still had most of its nutritive qualities and was still of good quality. This meat was fed to a cat which ate it happily and showed no poor side effects after eating it. For the original story, click here.

Does this mean that your canned foods can last 118 years? Probably none of us are brave enough (or will last long enough) to find out. Still, this story proves that canned foods, especially those low in acid like meats, can last long enough to prove very useful for emergency situations.
Great story thank you...You have me wondering IF it was preserved by the LARGE amount of salt in it ????? Anyone care to elaborate on this this ? Thank u

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Nothing will store for very long if you abuse it. MREs are only supposed to be "good" for only three months if stored in a hot climate. Water will rust cans. Heat will mess with the contents and freezing temperatures will burst wet pack containers. Contamination can occur if you store food near cleaning products or fuel.

Alcohol lasts for a very long time. :thumb:

·
Banned
788 Posts
What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

Most other canned foods will last just as long if stored properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you store

so that been said, what are you storing in your shelter, and how often do you rotate? doesn't it get expensive to rotate very couple of years?

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
so that been said, what are you storing in your shelter, and how often do you rotate? doesn't it get expensive to rotate very couple of years?
It's not expensive if what you are storing is what you already eat and rotation comes naturally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts